Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

The afternoon block answers my earlier question, there's definitely no bandwidth for extra routes to the US from 9a-12p right now from a capacity perspective.

The $3m in subsidies helps but I'd be astonished if they had any material loads originating from DUB. Maybe some connections from LHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'd say it'll be like Hartford – most passengers will be Americans connecting to Europe.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tea2

Flew on EI-FAT from Bristol yesterday. Much better seats than most of the ATRs emerald are using - great to have it back.

Still has the old EI livery from a few years ago, with a big sticker saying Emerald Airlines at the back, presumably covering up the old Stobart logo.

hope they get more, despite being older, they’re in better condition than most of the rest of the fleet, imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

EI-EIN has suffered a technical issue on arrival at LAX this evening, it was met with emergency vehicles and had a brief inspection on the taxiway before being towed to the gate. All gear doors were visibly open on landing. The return service to Dublin is cancelled.

It was caught by Airline Videos on YouTube who live stream from the airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWGb2awVI6Q

The Aer Lingus flight is featured at around 7:15pm, as indicated by the on screen local time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Wonder if it's going to Emerald

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

If the stories are to be believed, the boffins in EI are trying to swap the 321XLR slots for 330Neo slots.

Which would go completely against the current strategy of transatlantic growth?? They’re already stretched for long haul narrow body aircraft and the addition of Cleveland shows this type of growth is still very much the plan so it would be a bizarre decision to decline the one aircraft you need to fulfil this mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Stratagies change all the time, albeit at a very slow pace in somewhere like Ei. I am going on what a 330 guy told me but sure he could be wrong as well. Time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭sherology

Possible, if the LRs are sufficient for route opening and smaller load destinations, but IAG would likely keep those XLR slots for IAG: no? Also, a330neo slots would likely be easy to come by... AirAisaX dumped a load of them. Would be nice to see the neo ordered though, give some clarity on the future fleet intent. IMHO EI need both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

They could also pick up XLRs from lessors or others in IAG for 2024 on, like how Iberia took the Aer Lingus A350 slots.

Maybe they shift the A321LRs onto the likes of Cleveland/expansion routes (+SNN) and put the A330neos on the maore mature markets like EWR/IAD/YYZ/PHL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

EWR will be daily A330-300 next Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

They could definitely do with more A330’s the likes of YYZ, IAD and EWR were all previously A330 routes. It would be even better if they ordered A330NEO’s and no more crap aircraft from Qatar that are shocking and substandard. The worst aircraft flying across the Atlantic currently bar none.

I don't believe they need an A330 on IAD, they have more seat capacity now -v- 2019 and more connection opportunities with 2X A21N. It's a much more suitable aircraft for that route, especially as demand falls of in lower season it has the right economics. I don't see an A330 on YYZ either, a total of 4 carriers on that route, better to send an A330 to other places. When aircraft quantity permits, I could see 2 A21N's on YYZ similar to IAD.

It may be more suitable for connections having X2 NEO vs 1 A330 in certain destinations for sure it opens up a lot more connections. However the A321NEO has zero cargo capacity and regularly leaves behind luggage as there is no space and also cannot take sports equipment, golf clubs etc. I would have imagined there would be room for more capacity on YYZ it was originally a 757 route and then upgraded to A330. Huge Irish population in Toronto. Air Canada has used 400 seater 777-300ER quite often. The NEO is definitely more suitable in the winter when loads are lower and can maintain daily where A330 would be maybe 3/4 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Do aer lingus have any XLR on order and would they have the range to get to Phoenix Arizona?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

All 3 are pushing on in years with the A330 no longer in production long term they will need to decide a new wide body most likely A330Neo

-DAA 21 years old

-DUO 15 years old

-GEY 19 years old

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Having what is a relatively small fleet split so many ways in terms of size, crew rest etc is not ideal for operational flexibility, so I imagine they want 333s for now specifically

You'd be surprised despite the odd occasion of payload restrictions; how much they still make including disruption costs with A21N's. YYZ is a yield bloodbath at the moment with four carriers; if you were to use the Irish pop analysis you could apply YVR over SEA, there's always other factors for capacity and destination.

Regarding the XLR order, the chief of strategy at the airline has stated deliveries are expected from “late 2024-25” while talking at the Cleveland launch.

Of course this might just be the current ‘official’ line but I think it’s the first time since Airbus announced the delay that Aer Lingus has actually acknowledged a delivery schedule of sorts.

Today was definitely an example of that. EIN is still stuck in LAX after the hydraulics issue. Currently GAJ, GCF , EIM and EIN operate west coast with 3 required every day to operate SFO, LAX and SEA with one of the ac usually doing an east coast each day to be back in time to operate the 12:35 departure to SFO. With EIN stuck in LA todays SFO had to wait for the previous days SFO to arrive and turn around resulting in a 2.5 hour delay. Definitely shows having multiple variations of the A330 doesn’t help in these scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

you also have a complication on short haul, although pretty insignificant, that the new NEO should only operate to Heathrow due to lower landing charges.

not a big deal really given it’s just one plane and the volume of LHR flights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Is GEY definitely still on the books? I had heard elsewhere it was returned to the lessor.

Didn’t they finally manage to refit the business cabin in ‘GEY just a few weeks before the pandemic hit? Would be a shame to see them wasted.

Anyone know what actually happens to the business class seats once an aircraft is returned or scrapped?

There's not a prayer they ever do a PHX route tbh.

I could maybe see DFW, but I imagine the tie up with AA covers that.

As an aside: I think the nationalist element of having Irish expats use an Irish carrier is way overblown, I've been in the US for a few years and I use EI only when they're priced competitively or I'm burning Avios. Most expats I know think similarly - cheapest carrier wins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

As above, I would suggest that strategies are constantly changing or evolving.

The previous "2025 fleet plan" had been 14x A333, 1x A332, 1x A330neo, 8 A321LR, 6 A321XLR. (this info dates to 2019, so 3 years an a global shutdown out of date!! )

Could be that EI has adjusted due to experience with the A321LR and post Covid industry status. EG. 2x daily A321 to IAD working better than 1x A332.

The 5x A321LR based in Dublin are still sufficient to launch new routes to smaller airports like CLE/serve quieter routes like BDL.

They have existing airframe demand on long established routes for 10-12 A330s. (JFK, BOS, ORD, MCO, SFO, LAX, SEA)

So another 4-5 wide bodies as 'follow on' to previous A321LR routes (or even previous 330 routes) isn't too much of a stretch. In theory any A321LR should be able to upguage to an A330 after 2-3 seasons (barring a global shutdown)

The A332s are still on the books and 'currently' expected to return to service next year. But that could change next week if IAG get their hands on good value 2nd hand A330s. Which then switches the 6x A321XLR to IAG/BA.

The Airbus order book is in a lot of flux at the moment. Aircraft offloading older aircraft and adjusting/cancelling old orders. So there could well be scope for IAG/EI to pick up some opportunistic bargains. (EG, the Smartavia A320neo)

Advertisement