Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a 2nd hand tractor from Europe

• 19-01-2011 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experience of importing a second hand tractor from mainland Europe?

If so, what's involved, right down to paying VAT etc?

Thanks,
    Pakalasa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

pakalasa wrote: »
    Has anyone experience of importing a second hand tractor from mainland Europe?

If so, what's involved, right down to paying VAT etc?

Thanks,
    Pakalasa

I bought one several years ago from a UK dealer. Dealer deliverd to the port in the UK, and booked it on with the freight company. Tractor was driven off by transport company in Dublin port, and booked through customs and held in their yard pending pick up by me.
    I paid the dealer in UK for the tractor including UK VAT. Price included delivery to the port in UK.
    I picked up the tractor at Dublin port with a friend who had a beaver tail truck at the time. Paid the freight company their fee and drove home.

Got a smashing low houred tractor for equivalent of €4k less than through a dealer over here for a rougher model with all fees paid right to my gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭razor8

How do you go about re-registering it and paying the €50 vrt once you bring it in

i bought a tractor in Northern Ireland in Jan and was told the are going to increase the €50 to something like €200 sometime in May

do you just ring the local authority or do you need to bring it somewhere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

razor8 wrote: »
    How do you go about re-registering it and paying the €50 vrt once you bring it in

i bought a tractor in Northern Ireland in Jan and was told the are going to increase the €50 to something like €200 sometime in May

do you just ring the local authority or do you need to bring it somewhere

yep, its €200 now,ring the nct vrt people and ask them can you declare a tractor with them, like you can a car, the numbers 1890 927787

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

MidlandsM wrote: »
    yep, its €200 now,ring the nct vrt people and ask them can you declare a tractor with them, like you can a car, the numbers 1890 927787

I wouldn't be bothered ringing them, they dont seem to talk to one another.Go into the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

jimmyw wrote: »
    I wouldn't be bothered ringing them, they dont seem to talk to one another.Go into the centre.

You cant just go into them, you have to make an appointment. Its easy to do on their website

• Advertisement

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    You cant just go into them, you have to make an appointment. Its easy to do on their website

No what I mean is that if you want information to go into the VRT section of the NCT centre because you seem to get completely different info on the phone to what you get in the centre.Yes your right about the actual test, you must book that ok.

No what I mean is that if you want information to go into the VRT section of the NCT centre because you seem to get completely different info on the phone to what you get in the centre.Yes your right about the actual test, you must book that ok.

Im with ya now :D.

To register a tractor you need to bring:
    The tractor
    PPS number
    Utility bill
    Invoice from seller
    Log book
    Photo ID
    €200
    Form http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/VRTFormFinal%20Version.pdf

Also its not every NCT centre that does tractors so your local one may not do ya

Well what we discovered is that you dont need to actually bring in the vehicle at all:eek: so if thats the case, well it wouldnt be too bad to go to another if the local dont do it.Why cant they all do it anyway? Seems daft:rolleyes:

Well what we discovered is that you dont need to actually bring in the vehicle at all:eek: so if thats the case, well it wouldnt be too bad to go to another if the local dont do it.Why cant they all do it anyway? Seems daft:rolleyes:

Not sure why they cant all do it. Are you 100% sure that you dont need to bring the tractor in? I know dealers with tan numbers dont but i thought regular folk did.

Well we were told on the phone when we were registering ours that yes you do need to bring it in, but after we hired a trailer and got a loan of a jeep:mad: we we were told in the centre that "oh no, no need to do that".Thats what I am talking about getting conflicting infomation.:rolleyes::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

To reserect this thread has anyone done this recently, with the way prices for second hand tractors are gone here I'm seriously think about the option of buying one in Europe and getting it shipped to Ireland

Advertisement