Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red trying to learn something new

• 16-01-2017 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

After a few minor attempts to get stuck into learning Japanese Kanji before and not really getting anywhere, I recently got a set of audiobooks to listen to while I walk to work to hopefully get me started on learning Japanese. I've had it in my head for years now that I'm not really a "languages" person as I had trouble with them all through school but enjoying this so far :)

(For those interested I'm using the following book:
    Japanese Phase 1, Unit 01-05: Learn to Speak and Understand Japanese with Pimsleur Language Programs
    by Pimsleur
    Narrated By Pimsleur
    It's available here on audible.com)

I am hoping I can get some help from more experienced members/japanese speakers from time to time as while the books are very good, there are a few things I'm having problems with.

1) One of the first phrases taught is "I understand/I don't understand". When I hear the phrase for "I don't understand" it seems to alternate in my head as ending in "m" or "n". Spelt phonetically it sounds like "wa-kari-masem/masen". Would love some clarification on this?

2) One of the other phrases was "Are you American?". Again Phoentically speaking it sounds like I'm trying to pronounce "A-natta-wa America-jin dess" but the audio book asked me to listen for how the "u" sound trails off at the end. I can't hear it at all? Is it that short that I simply can't register it?

Appreciate people taking the time to help with this :)

Hopefully I'll get better with time/practice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Hello :)
    I have currently been studying Japanese for 2 years and I personally think you should not really worry about the pronunciation at first if you are just started learning :)

desu can easily sound like dess when you speak very fast . there are certain times when pronunciation matters but in this case you dont have to worry about it :)

If I can reccomend some things to get you started I think YesJapan is a great website to go to thats free :)

They also have a youtube channel :)

I also highly recommend you to try Genki textbooks , its the best book to buy to learn about the rules of japanese grammar and learn new words :).

the downside is its quite expensive

Have fun with your studys :)

Advertisement