Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 242: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Dustin Poirier [7 Sep, 19:00]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cupp3r

walshb wrote: »
    175 cms is about 5 feet 9, not 7.

5 ' 8.98 to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    walshb wrote: »
    175 cms is about 5 feet 9, not 7.
    My bad, I was reading the 5.74 feet as 5'7" when it's actually just shy of 5'9"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tazzimus wrote: »
    My bad, I was reading the 5.74 feet as 5'7" when it's actually just shy of 5'9"

Either way Khabib has a load of fights left on the LW table before thinking about WW. Ferguson, Gaethje, Cerrone, Lee, McGregor, Pettis....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭rob316

US2 wrote: »
    Gathje is probably the best you are going to see him fight, maybe Kevin Lee too if he stays at 155

Except Gathje seems allergic to showing his high level wrestling background. Prefers all out wars

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    The Nal wrote: »
    Either way Khabib has a load of fights left on the LW table before thinking about WW. Ferguson, Gaethje, Cerrone, Lee, McGregor, Pettis....
    Absolutely. I don't think he moves up personally, he won't want to risk that 0.
    He knows he has a better chance of retiring undefeated as a LW. Even with the GSP fight, he wanted him to come down to 155.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Cupp3r wrote: »
    5 ' 8.98 to be exact.

About!!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    Absolutely. I don't think he moves up personally, he won't want to risk that 0.
    He knows he has a better chance of retiring undefeated as a LW. Even with the GSP fight, he wanted him to come down to 155.

Which is good imo. Proper champ defend your belt against all comers rather than this champ champ bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Erks me that none of the mentioned are world class wrestler's , Gaethje is the best but doesn't use it, Lee can't make weight without his cardio disappearing

I really want to see Khabib v a top wrestler,

Erks me that none of the mentioned are world class wrestler's , Gaethje is the best but doesn't use it, Lee can't make weight without his cardio disappearing

I really want to see Khabib v a top wrestler,

Don't think there is one at the moment at LW? And they're all top 10 guys I named. Would any of the top WW guys make 155?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't think there is one at the moment at LW? And they're all top 10 guys I named. Would any of the top WW guys make 155?

I think Colby said before he'd go to 155 but that's probably **** talk. I'd say he could make 155 none of the rest though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Dustin Poirier by Sub

Gregor Gillespie might cause him a few problems.

Gregor Gillespie might cause him a few problems.

Ever see GG spar with Bozo?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Ever see GG spar with Bozo?

No, did a quick search but didn't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

US2 wrote:
    You think he's avoiding wrestlers or something? He's beat everyone that stood in front of him. Don't see why he has to put himself at a massive disadvantage against bigger guys to be great
    Top three at welterweight are Usman the is 6'0", Woodley is 5'9", Covington is 5'11", Khabib is 5'10". How would that be a big deal.

No, did a quick search but didn't find anything.

Go to Gregor's Instagram it's some time late last year. Gregor against Adam Busiello. Adam is a top grade wrestler and Gregor shows his class.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Top three at welterweight are Usman the is 6'0", Woodley is 5'9", Covington is 5'11", Khabib is 5'10". How would that be a big deal.

Big difference body mass wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    eagle eye wrote: »

Hieght means nothing! Max Holloway is the same hieght as Woodley!

Heavey weight Daniel cornier is only 5'10

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    rob316 wrote: »
    I think Colby said before he'd go to 155 but that's probably **** talk. I'd say he could make 155 none of the rest though.
    He was the name that sprang to mind for me. As far as I know, he doesn't cut too much weight, so could probably do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Colby v Khabib, now there's a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

One thing my mate and I realised was that Khabib's relies heavily upon the fence. He utilises wrestling and judo trips very well. If it was straight JJ in the middle of the octagon, would it be so easy? I think defending Khabib would be better in the middle of the octagon as Conor showed in round 1. Genuine question - would like other's opinions.
    Pretty sure his work against the cage is one of the innovations his father brought into his game that's made him so dominant. He utilises it better than anyone. Gets you against it and then chain wrestles you into exhaustion. I dunno what the "answer" is to Khabib, but I feel that avoiding getting backed into the cage must be a major part of it. Easier said than done of course!

• Advertisement

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    dulux99 wrote: »
    Colby v Khabib, now there's a fight.
    Colby wins it. Khabib tires after round 3, Colby doesn't. And he has the wrestling to give Khabib trouble.

Ugh, can't believe I'm picking Colby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    I have to be honest, Saturday night was fairly predictable.

Poirier is a reasonable fighter but I always felt he was in a higher position than he should have been due to luck primarily.

I think Ferguson or a rejuvenated McGregor gives Khabib a much better fight and hopefully one of them ends up beating him.

One of the main things the UFC has going for it is its unpredictability. Any champion can get caught and thats what makes it so fascinating imo.

Khabib's dominance is starting to eradicate one of its few endearing qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points
    I wonder how much Khabbib will get for Dustin's tshirt for the charity ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I wonder how much Khabbib will get for Dustin's tshirt for the charity ?

Not as much as he could afford to pay for it himself! A nice gesture for sure, but when you have just made a few million for your nights work, you'd think he could have offered up a small percentage of his purse for the charity himself rather than a t-shirt that someone much less well-off than him will be shelling out for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Khabib knows once hes against bigger guys, his chance of winning is gone. He makes sure when GSP fight is talked about that is has to be at 155, and says he is a lightweight when asked if he'd move up to 170. Once he can't control a bigger opponent he will go from dominating to being dominated, no in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Go to Gregor's Instagram it's some time late last year. Gregor against Adam Busiello. Adam is a top grade wrestler and Gregor shows his class.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BnuJXzshN87/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BnuI7gkB9es/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    I must say, the logic disappoints me.

Someone comes along who is the very best at his weight class, beats all comers and looks dominant in doing it and it's HIS fault that he's not disadvantaging himself and fighting bigger and stronger guys than him and until he does he hasn't proven himself?

Khabib, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Mighty Mouse......... it's happened to them all.

For some people, being the best isn't good enough.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I must say, the logic disappoints me.

Someone comes along who is the very best at his weight class, beats all comers and looks dominant in doing it and it's HIS fault that he's not disadvantaging himself and fighting bigger and stronger guys than him and until he does he hasn't proven himself?

Khabib, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Mighty Mouse......... it's happened to them all.

A lot of McGregor fanboys are reluctant to acknowledge his greatness. However I do think he needs another couple of top 5 wins to cement that legacy. He hasn't really beaten a great (Ferguson) yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

MrStuffins wrote:
    Can you name the great fighters he has fought?

Advertisement