Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George H W Bush has died

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

beertons wrote: »
    Did he see the toy show?

That's what pushed him over the edge.
    Worse form of torture imaginable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

In all fairness Trump is getting stuff done in the background.
    No, not really. If he was getting it done, it'd be well into the foreground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

That's what pushed him over the edge.
    Worse form of torture imaginable.

Imagine your last few hours, when you want peace, calm and serenity ....... then the indignation of you having to watch the Late Late Toy show before die and soil yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

paw patrol wrote: »
    that "idiot" was US president twice...what have you achieved?

The biggest achievement of that poster and others of the same ilk, will be waking up early enough in the afternoon once a week in order to pick up the dole money. I can almost smell the crustiness off them when they post.

Their contribution to society? A bigger tax bill for the rest of us to support their lifestyle choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Don't make em like they used to

Rip sir

• Advertisement

No, not really. If he was getting it done, it'd be well into the foreground.

Well the first thing is to rebalance trade with China you may have missed the "Coach" on the air conditioning factory. He is also running a war with auto trade manuacturers who want to move manufacturing outside the USA and then import the cars back into the US. The stories how 200 North Korean scientists blew themselves up in an "accidental" explosion at a research facility? See how he devoted time and resources to getting Peurto Rico back on its feet? See how Hati is doing since the Clintons and Bono lent a helping hand? See how Al Queda was run out of Raqqua and Allepo in 6 months? Russian and US cooperation. 10 Billion worth of Arms Sales to Saudi Arabia in one contract? That is doing business. You are worried about what colour his hair roots are and a $500 hooker, while he is fixing the economy. You never see that stuff on the front page, its always on pages 6&7 on the inside columns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭thomil

Without President Bush, Germany would never have been reunited, not with that paranoid b#tch Thatcher in office over in London. It was his pressure on the nations on western Europe that paved the way for reunification. As someone who witnessed the fall of the Berlin Wall and reunification first hand, who saw the tears streaming down the faces of my parents and grandmother when the pictures came on on TV, followed a few hours later by the first east German cars coming into our little hometown on the outskirts of Hamburg, I'll forever remain grateful for everyone who put their efforts into making reunification happen. George H.W. Bush is definitely among them. Despite all the economic and social turbulence that followed the events in 1989, Germany, and indeed Europe, has become a better place.
    Granted, he has blood on his hands. So what? Name one head of state who doesn't? Statesmanship has always been a bloody business, and always will be. Anyone who believes otherwise is too naive to be let out into public unsupervised. But for all the bad things he did, he was instrumental in improving the lives of millions of people on the other side of the Iron Curtain.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

You are worried about what colour his hair roots are and a $500 hooker, while he is fixing the economy. You never see that stuff on the front page, its always on pages 6&7 on the inside columns
    I don't give a damn about his hair, that's only you.
    The other stuff, give me a break.
    This is how Haughey and his ilk always survive, always someone to defend them.

As for Peurto Rico..... sweet Jesus. I work with colleagues out there. Maybe stop reading the headlines/tweets and do some research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Not twisting your words... you're the one calling the black man a bomber.... your excuses ring hollow... dunno if your post is racist, or ignorant of reality... but won't be engaging anymore with the likes of that, thank you

He was a bomber?

I don’t get the hate for Bush 1. The first Iraq war was justified and authorised by the U.N. as I recall. Also he was pretty smart. Are people confusing him with his son?

The real craziness in US policy began post 2001.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So Jimmy Carter has now outlived the two Republican Presidents who came after him. His days must be numbered too as he is only a few months younger than Bush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

So Jimmy Carter has now outlived the two Republican Presidents who came after him. His days must be numbered too as he is only a few months younger than Bush.

He's been much healthier and more active than Bush Snr for a good few years now.

Earlier this year he was stumping for Stacy Abrams in the Georgia gubernatorial race.

He was on Colbert's show earlier this year, seems in pretty good shape. This is of course after beating Brain Cancer at 90, wouldn't surprise me if Carter passes 100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQR5G3kvfNQ&t=147s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I've read some mental things on this forum over the years but Trump getting Puerto Rico back on it's feet after hurricane Maria surpasses the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He was a bomber?

I don’t get the hate for Bush 1. The first Iraq war was justified and authorised by the U.N. as I recall. Also he was pretty smart. Are people confusing him with his son?

The real craziness in US policy began post 2001.

The first gulf War was only justified in so far as the pupett state of Kuwait was important for the west in terms of energy

Not twisting your words... you're the one calling the black man a bomber.... your excuses ring hollow... dunno if your post is racist, or ignorant of reality... but won't be engaging anymore with the likes of that, thank you

The 'black man' was a bomber. It wasn't racist (you brought up the race of the individual) nor was it ignorant as it was correct.

But you already know this.

It's amazing the lengths that some people will go to get the feeling of misplaced self righteousness that goes along with shouting "racist" at other people.

oblivious to the fact that they are diluting the word racist to such an extent that it starts to mean nothing. Not too long ago, I would have been appalled to have been labeled a racist. These days, it's shorthand for some people to say "you have a different opinion than me and I don't like it".

I'd say actual racists are delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Well the first thing is to rebalance trade with China you may have missed the "Coach" on the air conditioning factory. He is also running a war with auto trade manuacturers who want to move manufacturing outside the USA and then import the cars back into the US. The stories how 200 North Korean scientists blew themselves up in an "accidental" explosion at a research facility? See how he devoted time and resources to getting Peurto Rico back on its feet? See how Hati is doing since the Clintons and Bono lent a helping hand? See how Al Queda was run out of Raqqua and Allepo in 6 months? Russian and US cooperation. 10 Billion worth of Arms Sales to Saudi Arabia in one contract? That is doing business. You are worried about what colour his hair roots are and a $500 hooker, while he is fixing the economy. You never see that stuff on the front page, its always on pages 6&7 on the inside columns

Trade wars never end well. Probably a reason Dow Jones index was lower last week than same week a year ago.

Carrier thing made headline news and they still moved the jobs to Mexico anyway.

Trump rewarded the car manufacturers with a huge tax cuts which they used to buy back their shares. Gm announcing this week they are closing multiple plants and laying off 15,000 workers.

Are you trying to say Trump killed those scientists. North Korea were undertaking underground nuclear tests in the most seismic region on Earth and the mountain collapsed..that's what happened.

Thousands of people didn't have power in PR nearly a year after hurricane happened https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/puerto-rico-hurricane-season-maria-without-power-electricity-us-weather-a8379646.html

Russia and us cooperation..give examples

Selling $100 billion of weapons to a regime who murder American based journalists probably isn't an achievement to boast about.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It never amazes me how people are quick to forget.

Same here. He us not the worst now. When Trump is long gone in 30 years they say same about him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet but in recent decades losing a presidential race is the key to long life.

Bush was 94
    Cater is 94
    Ford was 94
    McGovern was 90
    Mondale is 90
    Dukakis is 85
    Poor Nixon died at a youthful 81

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The first gulf War was only justified in so far as the pupett state of Kuwait was important for the west in terms of energy

It was justified because it was an illegal invasion and the U.N. authorised the war.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council_Resolution_678

On Iraq wars you need to believe the opposite of Chris Hitchens.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I've read some mental things on this forum over the years but Trump getting Puerto Rico back on it's feet after hurricane Maria surpasses the lot

I never said it was perfect but it is a hell of a lot better than what Haiti looks like after the Clintons brought in Dennis O Brien to rape it properly. My buddy was out there and they are stripping its natural resources like a fire sale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet but in recent decades losing a presidential race is the key to long life.

Bush was 94
    Cater is 94
    Ford was 94
    McGovern was 90
    Mondale is 90
    Dukakis is 85
    Poor Nixon died at a youthful 81

On the other hand Ronald Reagan died at age 93. The exception that proves the rule?

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Trade wars never end well. Probably a reason Dow Jones index was lower last week than same week a year ago.

Carrier thing made headline news and they still moved the jobs to Mexico anyway.

Trump rewarded the car manufacturers with a huge tax cuts which they used to buy back their shares. Gm announcing this week they are closing multiple plants and laying off 15,000 workers.

Are you trying to say Trump killed those scientists. North Korea were undertaking underground nuclear tests in the most seismic region on Earth and the mountain collapsed..that's what happened.

Thousands of people didn't have power in PR nearly a year after hurricane happened https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/puerto-rico-hurricane-season-maria-without-power-electricity-us-weather-a8379646.html

Russia and us cooperation..give examples

Selling $100 billion of weapons to a regime who murder American based journalists probably isn't an achievement to boast about.

The Stock market was at an all time high last year, still better than anything under Obama.
    That was carriers decision to move to Mexico, but in doing so they lost the right to bid for any US government contracts.
    Yeah these car manufacturers need to be brought into line but it Government intervention that saved these corrupt CEO's when they should be allowed burn. America is a different style economy where you can crash and burn and restart. The American car manufacturers have been saved once too often by the Government.
    I am saying that it is a bit of a co incidence that an accident happened and suddenly the North Koreans are around the negotiating table, when they couldnt be encouraged they by closer allies like China and Russia before.

In Syria, Obama vetoed down 75% of the Air strikes. Within 6 months of office Alleppo and Raqqua are abandoned with hostages taken. Russian cut the supply lines for ISIS to the Front. The American fought the rest of the battle. Nothing scarier than being told there is no water, Ammo and food in that order, guys really lose it when they hear there is no relief either.

Yeah there is a whole infrastructure thing going on with Peurto Rico but it looks a whole lot better than Haiti. Peurto Rico is a second world country. The stories I hear from people on the ground in Haiti about how they are stripping asset and laundering money is unreal. They are at that over 5-6 years since Sandy?

That journalist was a small price to pay in the great scheme of things. If it keeps American families off the poverty line then that is a sacrifice I would be willing to make. Irish politicians have sold out much more for much less. Re: Dell Ireland and Bertie Ahern

On the other hand Ronald Reagan died at age 93. The exception that proves the rule?

Reagan would have lived longer if he hadnt been shot. George Bush was supposed to step in to be President for the second term. Reagan never wanted George Bush as a running mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Has Michael D. Higgins come out yet to hail him as a "giant among global leaders"? Or is that kind of rhetoric reserved for deceased dictators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

The 'black man' was a bomber. It wasn't racist (you brought up the race of the individual) nor was it ignorant as it was correct.

But you already know this.

It's amazing the lengths that some people will go to get the feeling of misplaced self righteousness that goes along with shouting "racist" at other people.

oblivious to the fact that they are diluting the word racist to such an extent that it starts to mean nothing. Not too long ago, I would have been appalled to have been labeled a racist. These days, it's shorthand for some people to say "you have a different opinion than me and I don't like it".

I'd say actual racists are delighted.

I'm sure you had a point amongst all this right wing rethoric...it may have gotten lost.

I'm sure you had a point amongst all this right wing rethoric...it may have gotten lost.

You called me racist and you call this right wing. You've just proven his point. These words mean absolutely nothing to you.

I say it was you bringing up skin and you called me racist. It's so ridiculous, I'm not sure if you're just a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'm sure the people of the ME will send thoughts and prayers to the Bush family.

Or perhaps the family members of those who were killed in the USS Vincennes airline shootown by the US military in 1988 despite posing no threat to them, I'm sure they will mourn for him. George who was Vice President at the time of the mass murder had this to say in response to the `accident ' : After the Vincennes shot down Flight 655, as Fred Kaplan noted in his Slate piece, Vice President George H. W. Bush responded by saying, “I will never apologize for the United States of America—I don’t care what the facts are.” A true patriot indeed. I hope they write that as his epitaph, that must be the allegiance that every US president in modern times swears to, it certainly rings true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

You called me racist and you call this right wing. You've just proven his point. These words mean absolutely nothing to you.

I say it was you bringing up skin and you called me racist. It's so ridiculous, I'm not sure if you're just a troll.

And no mention of the fact you were mocking people with disabilities?!... shameful carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

And no mention of the fact you were mocking people with disabilities?!... shameful carry on

Give it a rest ffs.

Point proven. Nothing I said was right wing

What's shameful is your blatant trolling and obvious deflection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The Stock market was at an all time high last year, still better than anything under Obama.

Stock market rise is due to the policies Obama implemented over past decade and the fed keeping interest rates low. Stock market rose to all time high levels of 14k+ under Bush Jr too circa 2003-06 but eventually his incompetence saw the Dow crash to ~6.5k
    That was carriers decision to move to Mexico, but in doing so they lost the right to bid for any US government contracts.

They don't care. They got a huge government relief package and still moved anyway
    Yeah these car manufacturers need to be brought into line but it Government intervention that saved these corrupt CEO's when they should be allowed burn. America is a different style economy where you can crash and burn and restart. The American car manufacturers have been saved once too often by the Government.

Had the car manufacturers collapsed in 2008-09 then they would likely have taken many of the big banks with them and the rest of economy would have followed resulting in a worse depression than the 1930s so in that situation federal aid was warranted.

Us corporations last year reported highest profits in history so there was zero need to give them huge tax cuts..which is my point.
    I am saying that it is a bit of a co incidence that an accident happened and suddenly the North Koreans are around the negotiating table, when they couldnt be encouraged they by closer allies like China and Russia before.

North Korea didn't agree to anything though. Trump was the one giving concessions.

The North Koreans for decades have wanted the Americans to legitimize their regime and Trump did that.
    In Syria, Obama vetoed down 75% of the Air strikes. Within 6 months of office Alleppo and Raqqua are abandoned with hostages taken. Russian cut the supply lines for ISIS to the Front. The American fought the rest of the battle. Nothing scarier than being told there is no water, Ammo and food in that order, guys really lose it when they hear there is no relief either.

Once Fallujah was captured isis as a serious entity were done. Experts were saying ISIS were defeated before 2016 us election giving timelines which turned out to be pretty exact https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/716306/ISIS-finished-When-will-Islamic-State-be-defeated-Iraq-Syria-daesh
    Yeah there is a whole infrastructure thing going on with Peurto Rico but it looks a whole lot better than Haiti. Peurto Rico is a second world country. The stories I hear from people on the ground in Haiti about how they are stripping asset and laundering money is unreal. They are at that over 5-6 years since Sandy?

Haiti isn't part of the us, PR is, so not comparable. Also Haiti has always been far poorer than PR. Haiti is also hit with more natural catastrophes that pr with a major earthquake in 2010 coupled with a direct hit from Matthew in 2016 just the most recent.
    That journalist was a small price to pay in the great scheme of things. If it keeps American families off the poverty line then that is a sacrifice I would be willing to make. Irish politicians have sold out much more for much less. Re: Dell Ireland and Bertie Ahern

Sorry can't agree. Selling weapons to an authoritarian who eliminates any opposition to his leadership isn't going to end well.

There are lots of other ways to keep families off poverty line like raising minimum wage, implementing an actual welfare system, some form of universal healthcare (like the rest of world) or lowering education costs. Us have 3 million homeless and that number is rising so Saudi deal didn't help those people.

Bertie was a crook but he wasn't jailing family members, ordering journalists to be cut into pieces and bombing children in neighbouring countries

Advertisement