Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Player tech stack

Options
  • 25-12-2020 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

RTE Player gets a lot of criticism. I don't use it so can't comment.

But does anyone know what the tech stack and hosting set up is like? Live streaming and video hosting websites are a notoriously hard nut to crack in general. In terms of performance and scalability.

Usually it's a case of throwing as much hardware as you can afford at the problem. Would love to know how much is spent monthly and where it's hosted. I assume it's some sort of AWS EKS Kubernetes type effort. But maybe I'm giving them too much credit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It works perfectly fine every time when using the non advert version so the issue is not bandwidth or backend related.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Talisman

The player software is an implementation of the DASH-IF client. The service also uses the Highwinds CDN.

If you're looking to implement your own service then check out GPAC, it's open source but requires a commercial license.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The backend uses this

D1nQXMH.jpg

Apart from that it is just a badly programmed implementation of VOD
    Their solution is not scalable so do not give them any credit - any kind of live program that is even mildly popular suffers extreme lagging or just plain gives up trying to stream

Maybe if they used AWS they would have better global distribution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Why do they have to develop their own at all? There must be thousands of TV stations around the world. Someone must be selling a decent structure.

Then there's the dedicated streaming companies. YouTube run geoblocking, ads, playlists. They provide services for bigger companies like US TV stations and the NBA for example. Really would be less hassle I'm sure. There's got to be a few more bespoke companies offering services.

Can't understand why rte need to invent the wheel.

Advertisement