Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The NEw Yaesu FT-DX10.

Options
  • 24-12-2020 2:16pm

I really like it already lol. Tempting but expensive.

I might get what, 800 for the 7300 ? I also have the PTRX-7300 Panadapter.

I was never happy with the Receiver on the 7300, too noisy, harsh audio, the filters are not great and playing with the RF gain and all that never mattered because the audio in general isn't good and I always listen with headphones but my FT-891 sounds so much better, good analogue audio, you can't beat it.

Anyway, the FT-DX10 looks great, more buttons, bigger screen and monitor out.

Having said that I do love using SDR console now with my Airspy HF+ having the waterfall on the big screen is great.

I'm also thinking about the Expert Electronics SUN SDR DX 100 Watt which is a proper SDR that gets regular updates and has great remote capabilities and works with Linux which is important to me who wants nothing to do with Windows, Linux Mint Cinnamon is really great to use.

So what do you think of the new FT-DX10 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I'm half-serious about getting the same one. The signal processing appears to be a fair bit better than the 891, mostly due to a well put together hybrid design. It has more buttons than the 891 and a better form factor for a small desktop rig. The differences between the FT-DX101 and the FT-DX10 are what's going to be the major deciding factor - well that and the extra cost involved...

I'm not sure if it's meant to be a luggable receiver or a small desk rig. I've taken the 891 to the tops of small mountains and it was well worth the trouble; I'm not sure how the FT-DX10 would fare in the same situation. Would be a nice position to be in to test that though!

I haven't seen yet if there's an IF output for a panadapter or if the IF tap is easily accessible to get that. I am also someone that really likes having the waterfall on the PC screen while working the radio waves, and having complete control over that visual.

I am still considering a proper lots-of-buttons desktop rig, but it'll only be after the stupidity of the Council and their planning shenanigans are sorted and made to go away that I'll be thinking of that.

Popoutman wrote: »
    I'm half-serious about getting the same one. The signal processing appears to be a fair bit better than the 891, mostly due to a well put together hybrid design. It has more buttons than the 891 and a better form factor for a small desktop rig. The differences between the FT-DX101 and the FT-DX10 are what's going to be the major deciding factor - well that and the extra cost involved...

I'm not sure if it's meant to be a luggable receiver or a small desk rig. I've taken the 891 to the tops of small mountains and it was well worth the trouble; I'm not sure how the FT-DX10 would fare in the same situation. Would be a nice position to be in to test that though!

I haven't seen yet if there's an IF output for a panadapter or if the IF tap is easily accessible to get that. I am also someone that really likes having the waterfall on the PC screen while working the radio waves, and having complete control over that visual.

I am still considering a proper lots-of-buttons desktop rig, but it'll only be after the stupidity of the Council and their planning shenanigans are sorted and made to go away that I'll be thinking of that.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between the 2 radios apart from the lack of 2nd receiver on the DX10 and maybe another antenna connector.

It has monitor out which is cool and it supports mouse and keyboard so maybe panadapter might not be necessary but the PTRX panadapter made a big difference to me with the 7300 using SDR console and omnirig which leads me to think I would rather the Expert electronics SUN SDR 2 DX but I like having a radio but the SUN SDR has remote option built in however over lan which is inconvenient to me. I have one of the WiFI boosters with LAN out and it's crap.

The 891 is a great radio I love it, I use it mostly in the sitting room when I can't be arsed going up to the cold shack, I have it connected to the hyendcompany 5 band MK III EFHW with the coil for 80m and it works pretty well, bandwidth is narrow on 80m as you'd expect and I shortened it for the phone part of 80m around 3750 where it's lowest SWR. I also use it with the Chameleon MPAS 2.0 which is a really great antenna and quiet and have made many contacts to South America on 20m in the Summer.

I just think Yaesu radios are much better when it comes to Audio quality and noise reduction, the sound from the 891 with headphones is really great.

All the Sherwood reports are meaningless at the end of the day if the audio is not good as is the case with the IC-7300.

I do hope you get it sorted with the Council, that's ridiculous having to deal with such nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

He's a fan of the 7300 so I'm not sure anything would convince him otherwise.

Yes I agree with him that the Antenna is more important but I lost interest when he advised spending money on a tuner to handle power this can cost 500-600 euro's at least even USD, no this is not good advice, get an efficient antenna like the EFHW 49:1 and it performs extremely well and you don't need to spend money on a tuner at all, I can band hop all day with the EFHW-8010 and use the Acom 1000 and all I have to do is tune the Acom 1000 and that takes very little time because once you have the load and tune set to the bands, I have a sheet with the load and tune settings for each band and once I'm there tuning takes seconds especially with the Acom 1000 tuning aid. If I had an antenna that needs a tuner then it's going to take a much longer time to tune, if I have an auto tuner it's going to cost big bucks, put that into the radio ffs.

The audio is just as important as the antenna and my FT-891 sounds so much better than my 7300 with much better noise reduction features, buy the 891, EFHW-8010 and save for the FT-DX10.

+ all the Rob Sherwood reports won't say how the audio sounds and the greatest performing radio isn't worth Sh1t if the audio sounds like it does on the 7300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I know you listen on headphones, but for small money these speakers might be worth trying.

I know you listen on headphones, but for small money these speakers might be worth trying.

Thanks, I'm sure they're better than the 7300 speaker but I mostly prefer headphones especially for weaker signals, I don't think there's a lot that can be done with the 7300 audio for me at least, it cuts a lot of the Bass too which isn't good for listening to LW/MW/SW and increasing the Baas in the RX EQ doesn't do much only make it sound worse.

I listen only to the sound from the Airspy HF+ now though which did help a lot especially to restore the lower frequencies without having to add them with bad EQ and the audio is better but still not as good as the 891.

If I could get the 7300 to sound as good as the 891 I'd be doing ok, you see on the 7300 I have to have NR on to take away some of the harshness to the audio, you know the noise when you disconnect the antenna ? well if you do this to the 7300 you can hear the unpleasantness/harshness to the audio and when you connect the antenna it is still present + normal band noise and I find it fatiguing, the 7300 NR helps but effects sound quality where as on the 891 I don't need NR or DNR on most of the time because the receiver is just so quiet.

I think Yaesu have nailed it when it comes to audio and NR and it's something very hard to show in a youtube video.

I do also know I'd have the DX10 a lot faster than I would the IC-705 what a price :eek:

Those speakers might be worth getting though regardless.

Advertisement