Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Morning all.

My head is fried.
    If I watch Netflix/Disney/Prime on my Shield Pro, I get 5.1 through my amp.
    If I watch a movie from the hdd that’s plugged into the Shield, I only get stereo. From what I can tell, I tried every option there is, but it doesn’t make any sense.

Currently I have Shield->sync box->tv.
    The tv then outputs PCM to my Onkyo amp.

Like I said, the apps on the Shield allow 5.1 on the amp.
    My SkyQ box, also routed through the sync box, allows 5.1.
    The apps on the tv give 5.1 on the amp.
    And when I plug the hdd straight into the tv, I get 5.1.

But not the hdd through the Shield.

I’m using Kodi btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭swampy353

Soarer wrote: »
    Morning all.

My head is fried.
    If I watch Netflix/Disney/Prime on my Shield Pro, I get 5.1 through my amp.
    If I watch a movie from the hdd that’s plugged into the Shield, I only get stereo. From what I can tell, I tried every option there is, but it doesn’t make any sense.

Currently I have Shield->sync box->tv.
    The tv then outputs PCM to my Onkyo amp.

Like I said, the apps on the Shield allow 5.1 on the amp.
    My SkyQ box, also routed through the sync box, allows 5.1.
    The apps on the tv give 5.1 on the amp.
    And when I plug the hdd straight into the tv, I get 5.1.

But not the hdd through the Shield.

I’m using Kodi btw.

So based on what you're saying
    The amp will take 5.1, the files have 5.1 and the shield will give out 5.1 from certain apps.

Would guess your issue is with Kodi, maybe try VLC to play the files, if it pumps out 5.1, we know the issue is Kodi. At that point you need to decide if you want to use kodi which means spending time troubleshooting it or are you happy with another app that will just work.
    Would personally go for Plex over Kodi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Enable passthrough in kodi audio settings.

Thanks guys.

@batistuta9. It’s already enabled. Also tried it without being enabled.

@swampy. I’ve no preference to what I use, so will try VLC.
    I only bought the Shield because I bought the sync box and strip light. I was perfectly happy with the hdd plugged into the telly. But that configuration now would bypass the strip light.
    I’ve genuinely no idea of what the shield is capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

How is the TV connected to the amp? Optical?

• Advertisement

How is the TV connected to the amp? Optical?

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Might get something here to help.
    https://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_quickstart_guide

Yeah

Optical doesn't carry very many formats, it doesn't support Dolby digital + that Netflix uses or DTS HD or any other of the new lossy formats. You need to tweak your Kodi passthrough settings so that the formats not supported get transcoded by Kodi to normal Dolby digital and DTS. I'll pm you a pic of my settings later I'm just about to head out for a run.

Your TV is telling the other apps what codecs it supports as it's optical out and the apps are sending what it knows your TV supports

Right.
    Have tried Kodi, Plex and VLC. All the same.
    Have swapped from one USB port to the other, still the same.

I don't think it's the sync box as all the apps on the SkyQ box give me "surround sound".
    Optical doesn't carry very many formats, it doesn't support Dolby digital + that Netflix uses or DTS HD or any other of the new lossy formats. You need to tweak your Kodi passthrough settings so that the formats not supported get transcoded by Kodi to normal Dolby digital and DTS. I'll pm you a pic of my settings later I'm just about to head out for a run.

Your TV is telling the other apps what codecs it supports as it's optical out and the apps are sending what it knows your TV supports

Thanks.
    I don't think optical is the issue. It's never given me an issue before, and it's still not giving me an issues now, apart from HDD thru Nvidia shield.
    HDD directly thru tv is still spot on.

It's 100% a Kodi passthrough setting issue, I'll get you a pic now. The TV is smart enough to know what codecs it supports and downmixes to go out through optical. The apps like Netflix don't do passthrough, they query the TV for the codecs it supports. Kodi is different, it supports passthrough as well as hdmi

• Advertisement

It's 100% a Kodi passthrough setting issue, I'll get you a pic now. The TV is smart enough to know what codecs it supports and downmixes to go out through optical. The apps like Netflix don't do passthrough, they query the TV for the codecs it supports. Kodi is different, it supports passthrough as well as hdmi

Got those pics, thanks Looey.

“number of channels” option. I had it set to 5.1, yours is 2.0.
    Even though it says it doesn’t apply to passthrough, I changed it to 2.0.
    Under the “passthrough” section, I had everything selected as my amp will do DTS, DTS-MA and TrueHD. You have these 3 options disabled, so I disabled them too.
    Boom! The amp kicked into life!

Can understand why the “number of channels” option might’ve confused things. Don’t know why the DTS stuff would’ve mattered.

Anyways, it’s working now!

Was half thinking about trying Plex again, but might just leave well enough alone! ;)

Got those pics, thanks Looey.

“number of channels” option. I had it set to 5.1, yours is 2.0.
    Even though it says it doesn’t apply to passthrough, I changed it to 2.0.
    Under the “passthrough” section, I had everything selected as my amp will do DTS, DTS-MA and TrueHD. You have these 3 options disabled, so I disabled them too.
    Boom! The amp kicked into life!

Can understand why the “number of channels” option might’ve confused things. Don’t know why the DTS stuff would’ve mattered.

Anyways, it’s working now!

Was half thinking about trying Plex again, but might just leave well enough alone! ;)

Glad you got it sorted

Your amp will not do DTS-MA and TrueHD when connected by optical, it doesn't have the bandwidth, optical is very limited these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Basq wrote: »
    Saw on Reddit and think it's something I can get behind..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08FMKTZY8/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3PZDZPOPY874V&psc=1

My Shield remote falls onto a hardwood floor and into our pieces (backing and batteries fly) probably at least once a week.

Thanks basq, ordered this at the weekend and received today, very nice - comes in a 2 pack, one black and one white. (And bizarrely, 4 X wrist straps too)

Will save my remote from the constant drops of my lil terrors!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ugh. Downloaded recent SHIELD experience update and device is stuck on Nvidia logo. Tried factory reset and wipe and still no change. Any ideas on what else I could try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Ugh. Downloaded recent SHIELD experience update and device is stuck on Nvidia logo. Tried factory reset and wipe and still no change. Any ideas on what else I could try?

All u had to do was press the back button on the remote. That's what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Same here. Wasn't obvious though...

Yeah I haven't used the remote in months. I either use a rii universal remote or the lg magic remote. Tried using the game controller and still no luck. Factory reset did nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Nvidia should do something about that, it has to be fairly widespread FFS.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Did the update last night and had a bit of a panic afterwards. :o

For anyone else reading this who hasn't updated it yet - don't panic thinking you have bricked your shield the "updating to 8.+" and the rolling bar is just an image.

Don't do what I did and sit watching it for twenty five minutes thinking "oh shiït, I've broke it" :pl:cool:

well, got onto customer support and even though it's well outside warranty (bought in May 2017) , they are making an exception and sending me replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

well, got onto customer support and even though it's well outside warranty (bought in May 2017) , they are making an exception and sending me replacement

Did u need proof of purchase for them to send a replacement. Fair play to them for sending one out of warranty

• Advertisement

Did u need proof of purchase for them to send a replacement. Fair play to them for sending one out of warranty

I provided invoice from Amazon and photo of serial number on back of controller

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭swampy353

Benzino wrote: »
    Yeah it's a great piece of kit, but has started giving me a bit of trouble lately. Sometimes Netflix just gets stuck at the loading phase (no video, but audio is playing). Likewise something similar for Youtube, and requires a restarting the device to fix. But rock solid beyond that.
    The solution to the netflix issue, is play another episode for a second and then go back to the thing you want to watch, only figured it out today

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

swampy353 wrote: »
    The solution to the netflix issue, is play another episode for a second and then go back to the thing you want to watch, only figured it out today

Happens to me too.....when you say another episode I assume you mean of the same show? Never occurred to me to do that, anytime this occurs even if I try another show it does the same thing (audio only, buffering visual generally stops at 25%). Exiting Netflix and forcing stop/clearing cache doesn't work either so would be nice to get fix that doesn't involve a restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

robbe wrote: »
    Happens to me too.....when you say another episode I assume you mean of the same show? Never occurred to me to do that, anytime this occurs even if I try another show it does the same thing (audio only, buffering visual generally stops at 25%). Exiting Netflix and forcing stop/clearing cache doesn't work either so would be nice to get fix that doesn't involve a restart.

Same issue, I get buffering to 25% then the audio continues without picture. Only solution I have found is to restart the box. It usually happens after watching a number of episodes back to back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hey,

When you come out of an app in the Shield it remains open in the back ground.
    You have the multi view window of the current apps that are open in the background like on an android phone, I usually close the app here and it always starts fine again when I need to go back in.Even the restart of the Shield does not kill background apps only a power removal(lead out and back in ) will do this.

You also have in the developer options a setting to kill an app as you leave it but that will apply to all apps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Hey,

When you come out of an app in the Shield it remains open in the back ground.
    You have the multi view window of the current apps that are open in the background like on an android phone, I usually close the app here and it always starts fine again when I need to go back in.Even the restart of the Shield does not kill background apps only a power removal(lead out and back in ) will do this.

You also have in the developer options a setting to kill an app as you leave it but that will apply to all apps

When I get this problem (audio with no video in Netflix) killing the app doesn't work. Restarting works 100% of the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

folks my shield remote control looks to be stuck after i replaced some batteries, any idea how i can get it open again when i need to, i used to just use a pen but that wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

folks my shield remote control looks to be stuck after i replaced some batteries, any idea how i can get it open again when i need to, i used to just use a pen but that wont work.

It'll work, be a small bit brutish,,, you tube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Battery strength is now down to 3 or 4 days on my 2015 remote control.

Looks like Scan is the option nvidia give from their website, to buy the latest remote

Seems to be only UK addresses allowed now from what i can see :(

Are there other options available does anyone know?

I have a 3rd party remote from Aliexpress (was posted here a few years ago) so no real need for their own remote, but i would like to have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭joficeduns1

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Battery strength is now down to 3 or 4 days on my 2015 remote control.

Looks like Scan is the option nvidia give from their website, to buy the latest remote

Seems to be only UK addresses allowed now from what i can see :(

Are there other options available does anyone know?

I have a 3rd party remote from Aliexpress (was posted here a few years ago) so no real need for their own remote, but i would like to have it

How old is your remote do you mind me asking? Apologies, I've no advice in replacements, haven't had mine a year yet.

Advertisement