Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrading to a new DAP

Options
  • 01-11-2020 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey, recently i've been considering upgrading to a new DAP. But have a few questions before i do about the benefits of doing it. I've been using a iPod classic the last 10 odd years.

With regards sound quality what benefits do more expensive DAP's offer? The models i've been looking at in my price range have been the Sony NW-A55 and the Fiio M9 and upgrading them with more storage.

Aside from being able to upgrade space and fit in bigger file sizes. What can a new a DAP offer me? What do even does €1000 DAPs do to justify their price?

Also if anyone can suggest other benefits of upgrading from an iPod classic please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

melatonin wrote: »
    Hey, recently i've been considering upgrading to a new DAP. But have a few questions before i do about the benefits of doing it. I've been using a iPod classic the last 10 odd years.

With regards sound quality what benefits do more expensive DAP's offer? The models i've been looking at in my price range have been the Sony NW-A55 and the Fiio M9 and upgrading them with more storage.

Aside from being able to upgrade space and fit in bigger file sizes. What can a new a DAP offer me? What do even does €1000 DAPs do to justify their price?

Also if anyone can suggest other benefits of upgrading from an iPod classic please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Sound quality and the ability to play high resolution audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

What's a DAP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭melatonin

Phil.x wrote: »
    Sound quality and the ability to play high resolution audio.

Have you experience with them and feel they're worth the investment?

I use a HiBy Pro 3 and absolutely love it. The sound from it is phenomenal and you can run it balanced if you wish. Loads of EQ'ing can be done to the sound if you want and it wasn't too expensive for the features you get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Considering the HIBY 3 myself at the moment. I've been using an LG V30 smartphone, which has a decent built-in DAC. IEMS are the iKKo OH10 and TIN P1s ...very happy with the sound on well mastered, high-quality files. P1s need extra power though.

But I think the HIBY might be better...the phono socket at the bottom is one of the reasons, along with sound quality and extra amplification for the P1s.

Advertisement