Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fireworks Starting Early This Year

• 12-08-2020 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

Maybe it's people letting off steam over Covid 19, the lockdowns and all that, but i have been hearing fireworks on and off since the middle of July.Things were quiet for awhile but a massive one went off, outside the house just now.This is in Galway btw.Im wondering is the same happening in other parts of the country?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

go on the bangers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

FFS, why does Dun Laoghaire never get them until mid-October! It used to be from September onwards back in the day, you'd only have to stick your head out the window and you'd be guaranteed to see some epic stuff going off nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I used always hear people giving out about them in August in the past. If you were from the country tough. They'd start up when the guys brought them home from the Ploughing in September.
    However in the last few years they haven't been as popular around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I used always hear people giving out about them in August in the past. If you were from the country tough. They'd start up when the guys brought them home from the Ploughing in September.
    However in the last few years they haven't been as popular around here.

In the last few years where i am, they have been starting in October right on the button.Before that it has been as early as the first week of September.In parts of Dublin, i think they start in the middle of August.It's very random, i don't hear them every night.There can be a gap of a couple of weeks, and i haven't heard any since earlier on.In the USA complaints about firework usage, have gone through the roof this year.I suppose maybe it's people looking to blow off some steam, with all this covid 19 thing.2020 has been a weird and horrible year!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll be surprised if there's many at any stage this year, what with travel restrictions. If Covid gets any worse, less people will be able to take that day trip to the North for 'shopping' and come home with a boot load of the things.

I like them, they're grand like, but after having seeing a proper fireworks display, coupled with natures fireworks (lightening) in Orlando, all the ones here have just been meh in comparison. It's like the Cú Chulainn rollercoaster. It's actually a really, really good coaster, but still pales in comparison to the ones in Orlando/US in general. Stupid America and their excellent theme parks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Already started here in Dublin city centre. The knackbags haven't let Covid change anything else for them, so why would it affect their annual "annoy everybody and terrify animals" routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

I'm close to the north inner city and it is constant some afternoons. Kids out roaming in large gangs letting them off from what I can see. A few were throwing eggs the other day too while rolling a tyre down the canal. Preparations have truly started!

Advertisement