Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cloud & Brexit

Options
  • 10-03-2020 4:30pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Obviously not looking for legal advise, but has anyone given any thought to the the potential impact of Brexit on cloud services that are being hosted from the UK?

I'm curious if that is still allowed during the transition or is the UK already a "Third Country"? And assuming an Australian style deal (i.e. no deal) come Jan 2021 will it be illegal to move data from Ireland (or anywhere else in the EU) to a cloud service that is hosted in the UK?

Just curious because I was contacted by someone offering cloud backup services and they mentioned their data centre was in the UK!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Found this https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_20_104
    What happens on 1 February 2020?

When the United Kingdom leaves the European Union on 31 January 2020, after full ratification of the Withdrawal Agreement, we will enter into the transition period. This time-limited period was agreed as part of the Withdrawal Agreement and will last until at least 31 December 2020. Until then, it will be business as usual for citizens, consumers, businesses, investors, students and researchers in both the EU and the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom will no longer be represented in the EU institutions, agencies, bodies and offices but EU law will still apply in the United Kingdom until the end of the transition period.

So I guess it's still legal until the end of the transition at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Well the market leader is in Ireland so I doubt most are concerned...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

ED E wrote: »
    Well the market leader is in Ireland...
    For cloud hosting services themselves but I was more thinking about SAAS type scenario. It's in "a" cloud somplace and that currently adhere's to EU data regulations but if the SAAS provider was a UK based company would it still post 31st Jan 2020? That was my question... and, as I posted, the answer is nothing changed on the 1st Feb. We just need to see what happens come the end of the extension now... for that small scale scenario of SAAS providers who use UK based datacentres!

PS. I think was on theRegister that I read the likes of google, facebook & microsoft were shifting the data of accounts from the UK to their US servers. Now they no longer were required to be on EU located servers!?

Advertisement