Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Masterline fly rod

• 31-12-2020 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Just looking at a Master line fly rod. The rod comes in an aluminium tube. Anybody know what the rod is made from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Photographs of rod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Mach Two wrote: »
    Just looking at a Master line fly rod. The rod comes in an aluminium tube. Anybody know what the rod is made from.

i dont have any idea. iv never heard of the brand. are you new to fly-fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Generally a pretty cheap brand, first fly rod I’ve heard out of them but I wouldn’t be expecting much.

Fly fishing for years just saw it for sale on ebay. Looks well made. I purchased it and a Daiwa Whisker.

Received both rods. The Masterline rod is a nice rod actually. They make the John Wilson rods as well. Or at least the Masterline name is on them.
    The Daiwa Whisker rod seems like a good fly rod. What would be the better line. A 4 or a 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Received both rods. The Masterline rod is a nice rod actually. They make the John Wilson rods as well. Or at least the Masterline name is on them.
    The Daiwa Whisker rod seems like a good fly rod. What would be the better line. A 4 or a 5.

What weight is on the rod(it will have be 4#, 5# or maybe a range"4#-6#" - I have a 2 piece diawa whisker that has this spread.

For most rods you can both over and under line them, but is you need to adapt your casting style. I would get whatever it says on the rod. If you are new to fly fishing maybe get a WF. I have used very expensive brands over the years (Rio, SA) but now almost exclusively use Barrio lines. They are from UK so could be a pain getting one posted... they are great lines, fairly cheap, little memory and for me last as long as a high end brand, normally 3-5 years. Like most other things in life if you look after it you will get more from it.

I normally clean all my lines before season start, give them a good stretch, run floaters through Mucillin or similar, repeat mid season. It is recommended to store them off the reel, I used to do this on my shed on metre size loops, havent done it in while and does not seem to make a difference.

The Daiwa Whisker is a 4/5 weight line. I ordered a Scientific Anglers line WF 5 floating. Should get it delivered for€30. Very cheap for a scientific anglers line. How good is it? Time will tell. Would it be ok to coat it in mucilin before using. Could the mucilin do any damage to the line?

Never heard of Barrio lines. Certainly worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

The Daiwa Whisker is a 4/5 weight line. I ordered a Scientific Anglers line WF 5 floating. Should get it delivered for€30. Very cheap for a scientific anglers line. How good is it? Time will tell. Would it be ok to coat it in mucilin before using. Could the mucilin do any damage to the line?

Never heard of Barrio lines. Certainly worth a punt.

Some floating lines lose a bit of their floating properties towards the tip after a while. If I’m fishing dries or nymphs and I want the line to float high then I’ll give it a light coat of mucilin, otherwise there’s no need.

Would it help to preserve the line in the long run. Flylines tend to crack with age.

Advertisement