Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media - TV, 250MB broadband, phone + Sky Sports or Sky Cinema for €55 a mont

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

To be fair, €55 is the standard broadband cost here, its just that most companies are offering some sort of offer (eir has it at €40 for first year, Vodafone and sky have it €25 for first 6 months). You could just view this offer as TV and sports thrown in for free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Take the advice of many Virgin TV sufferers on here.

It's fckin *awful* - you'll be tearing the hair out of yourself within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ballyargus

so I got it. The horizon isn't quite as bad as I remember. It's nowhere near as good as Sky though. Internet service is very good.

Sports, however, is in SD. The SD is very poor - I don't believe it looked as bad in the 90s (different res televisions perhaps). I'll probably still look for alternate ways to watch my sport.

ballyargus wrote: »
    so I got it. The horizon isn't quite as bad as I remember. It's nowhere near as good as Sky though. Internet service is very good.

Sports, however, is in SD. The SD is very poor - I don't believe it looked as bad in the 90s (different res televisions perhaps). I'll probably still look for alternate ways to watch my sport.

I'd query that with them. There's more than one post in the talk to forum from a virgin rep saying its in hd

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭duefrine

Is BT sport's included in the sky sports package you got ?

Regards

• Advertisement

duefrine wrote: »

Regards

it is not

dulpit wrote: »
    I'd query that with them. There's more than one post in the talk to forum from a virgin rep saying its in hd

I'll do that today

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

duefrine wrote: »

Regards

You can't get BT on Virgin.

I'll do that today

Here's a useful one: https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/110912551

dulpit wrote: »

This is what I received:

Ben at 12:55, Aug 13:

Apologies for the experience however we don't have the option to have it on HD on the said promotion. If you can take a look the website as well.
    Ben at 12:55, Aug 13:

https://www.virginmedia.ie/bundles/broadband-tv-phone/personalise

EDIT: that was in response to my having shared the boards post from Jason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

no HD?

55d77983c56c9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Take the advice of many Virgin TV sufferers on here.

It's fckin *awful* - you'll be tearing the hair out of yourself within a week.

A week? Make that 30 minutes. I had Virgin Mix 250 installed this morning, best wifi speed test on my laptop was 60mbps but went as low as 22. Installer told me this was because I was using 2.4g and that 5g would be much faster. There was no improvement in the 5g speed on my phone or tablet. My best speed test overall (hard wired to modem) was 93mbps. On demand has now vanished from my Horizon box and I get error 8015 advising reboot, replay has also disappeared. A lot to be said for 14 day cooling off periods, I've cancelled the contract, just not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just for the craic post up when it gives the first bit of bother. Remember it's a brand new box so you'd expect it to be perfect straightaway.

Hint - it will be very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

I Just signed up today to the 500mb mix offer for 60 a month and was clearly asked if I wanted the Sports Pack in HD or SD.

I said HD and she repeated it back to me.

SO interesting to see how this pans out after installation Friday.
    I really only took the mix pack since its basically 5euro for Sky sports, TV and home phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ru437z9t8fidq2

flexcon wrote: »
    I Just signed up today to the 500mb mix offer for 60 a month and was clearly asked if I wanted the Sports Pack in HD or SD.

I said HD and she repeated it back to me.

SO interesting to see how this pans out after installation Friday.
    I really only took the mix pack since its basically 5euro for Sky sports, TV and home phone.

Nice, I will make my decision based on how this goes for you! When she asked if you wanted HD or SD did she mention there was a price difference? Weird question otherwise?

Nice, I will make my decision based on how this goes for you! When she asked if you wanted HD or SD did she mention there was a price difference? Weird question otherwise?

Right! I felt it was odd at the time but only after reading this thread do I remember back to that.

I just checked my package and no mention of any extra price and she didn't mention anything either. First thing ill be doing when its all turned on is checking that picture on Sky Sports.

On that topic - Such a shame I couldn't even pay them for Sky Sports F1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ru437z9t8fidq2

Right! I felt it was odd at the time but only after reading this thread do I remember back to that.

I just checked my package and no mention of any extra price and she didn't mention anything either. First thing ill be doing when its all turned on is checking that picture on Sky Sports.

On that topic - Such a shame I couldn't even pay them for Sky Sports F1.

I just realised it is probably after the 12 months when the HD will cost more so officially they would have to ask you if you want to subscribe even if it costs the same atm, so you should be grand for getting HD at 1 euro!

Eh, Sky Sports F1 isnt included? :(

I just realised it is probably after the 12 months when the HD will cost more so officially they would have to ask you if you want to subscribe even if it costs the same atm, so you should be grand for getting HD at 1 euro!

Eh, Sky Sports F1 isn't included? :(

Nope. Sky Sports F1 is exclusive to Sky and Now TV.

I can only hope they simulcast on the Sky Sports Mix or Sky Sports Main event! Those channels are on Virgin I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Is there anyway of getting a cheap way of watching BT sports

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

letsgo2018 wrote: »

BT Sports is not available on Virgin Media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

letsgo2018 wrote: »

Am hoping it comes to Now TV sooner rather than later - I just want it for the European rugby, a one month pass for BT sport from around 13 November will cover four rounds of it.

Was handy included with Eir for the past year, but back to VM for me now - this deal is too good to turn down. They'll be losing money hand over fist on it i suspect, but that's the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mbarosin

Anyone have experience of cancelling and signing up in partner's name?
    I'm out of contract but wondering do they still force me to go through a 30 day notice period, or can I cancel and have someone else sign up almost immediately?

mbarosin wrote: »
    Anyone have experience of cancelling and signing up in partner's name?
    I'm out of contract but wondering do they still force me to go through a 30 day notice period, or can I cancel and have someone else sign up almost immediately?

I didn't go through that myself. Just bought online at the new address using the same email and mobile no too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

iggy wrote: »
    Agree that the horizon box is a heap of junk.
    If VM get the new box I'd go back with them but until then I won't.

New customers get a new box!

I think it is the v6 box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭SteM

ballyargus posted above that he just got it and was given the horizon box?.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

V6 box hasnt been released in Ireland or even given out for testing. You will all get the horizon box and you will all be cursing how useless it is in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mbarosin

I didn't go through that myself. Just bought online at the new address using the same email and mobile no too.
    So you moved address and then signed up? I'm trying to cancel my account and resign up to this deal under partner's name, same address. Don't think it's as easy. Thanks

SteM wrote: »
    ballyargus posted above that he just got it and was given the horizon box?.

it's horizon box of yore.

They no longer use the onboard modem, a separate router is provided. It is the same horizon box though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

it's horizon box of yore.

They no longer use the onboard modem, a separate router is provided. It is the same horizon box though

+1

I thought they issued the horizon box for the tv services but you the VM hub 3.0 for the broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Got this deal. Have HD Sky Sports. Router is great for internet. TV box is useless. Ironically their Android app is actually very good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement