Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BE Services to Go-Ahead and Resulting Fleet Changes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Tomrota wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the fares will be changed on these routes to be brought more in line with other commuter towns (and the short hop zone in general)? For example, a commuter train from Naas with the leap card caps roughly at 7€ and Dublin bus at 5€. On the Leap Card website it says the Dublin bus cap also applies to all go ahead Ireland routes. However Bus Eireann like the 126 are way more expensive than anything on Dublin bus or go ahead in Dublin.

I presume the fares will be unchanged unless BE fares are also changed in the meantime

Saw a picture online appears some of the new buses are in Volvo on the Naas Road by the looks of things

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/go-ahead-ireland-announces-100-jobs-939563.html

"Bus drivers are offered comprehensive training, paid for by the company, and their package includes post-training earnings of up to €41,100 annually, a contributory pension scheme and overtime"

Oddly specific wage that I can't see noted anywhere else. More changes to remuneration or just wordsmithing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

They know the wage is why drivers keep heading to DB so they add up every possible earning you can make and post it as the likely figure. If its not the wage you earn after 39 hours including shift rota its deceptive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Plenty of Go Ahead Buses running around Naas today.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ITV2

plenty of GAI drivers running around Dublin Bus too :-)

It looks like some of the Sunsundegui Volvos due for GAI have arrived in Ireland. There were some parked in Irish Commercials but I think these may have been the ones due for BE.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It looks like some of the Sunsundegui Volvos due for GAI have arrived in Ireland. There were some parked in Irish Commercials but I think these may have been the ones due for BE.

There was a gai one in broadstone during the week

ax586 wrote: »
    There was a gai one in broadstone during the week

That's odd not sure why a GAI one would be in Broadstone. Sure it wasn't a BE one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

That's odd not sure why a GAI one would be in Broadstone. Sure it wasn't a BE one?

The Go-ahead logo on the side was a give away..not my picture by the way

The Go-ahead logo on the side was a give away

Was just curious. Thought you may have confused the two are the BE and GAI ones are in the exact same livery only difference is the logo on the side. Nice picture all the same.

Strange that a non DB or BE bus would be parked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

The Go-ahead logo on the side was a give away..not my picture by the way

Have you seen inside? Can you board this bus without walking up stairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tomrota wrote: »
    Have you seen inside? Can you board this bus without walking up stairs?

It's low floor with a step further back if I recall right.

Designed to allow wheelchair/buggy board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

It's low floor with a step further back if I recall right.

Designed to allow wheelchair/buggy board.

No !

Do not even go there

It is only designed for wheelchair only access

It is not designed for buggies. There is even specific buggy signage on them saying all buggies must be folded !

Unfolded buggies are not permitted under any circumstances

No !

Do not even go there

It is only designed for wheelchair only access

It is not designed for buggies. There is even specific buggy signage on them saying all buggies must be folded !

Unfolded buggies are not permitted under any circumstances

That's grand I couldn't remember. That's great but I can see someone bringing that to court and getting a nice payment as they can't be taking their child out of s buggy...

Deal with this every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

That's grand I couldn't remember. That's great but I can see someone bringing that to court and getting a nice payment as they can't be taking their child out of s buggy...

Deal with this every day.

I deal with this everyday too and thankfully on these vehicles there is a designated buggy storage space for folded buggies only. It's not physically possible to have a unfolded buggy on it.

The wheelchair space has clamps and other sorts for securing wheel chairs which would be in the way of a buggy.

The speed of these things are 100km/h and legally can't have standing or unfolded buggies so no claim will be possible.

I often tell people no to bringing them on board and they say they report me which I believe they do but never a word said about it

I deal with this everyday too and thankfully on these vehicles there is a designated buggy storage space for folded buggies only. It's not physically possible to have a unfolded buggy on it.

The wheelchair space has clamps and other sorts for securing wheel chairs which would be in the way of a buggy.

The speed of these things are 100km/h and legally can't have standing or unfolded buggies so no claim will be possible.

I often tell people no to bringing them on board and they say they report me which I believe they do but never a word said about it

Ugh dealing with the public..... Sometimes I really do wonder how and why I have put up with it....

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Metalpanic

Hi everyone.

Non bus driver here so apologies if this has been dealt with in previous posts. I'm not overly familiar with bus model numbers so please bear with me. I have seen a bus in new livery going through Dunshaughlin and this morning it was parked up at the bus stop to Dublin in the village. It was a WM434 (operated by Bus Eireann). Does anyone know what route this will be running on? As a daily commuter I have to say I would be disappointed getting a bus of that spec into Dublin every day, especially being accustomed to a standard BE coach (Air con being the biggest luxury). This bus was very much a city bus and even listed the number of standing passengers allowed. I assumed this means it is not intended for a commuter route?

Metalpanic wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

Non bus driver here so apologies if this has been dealt with in previous posts. I'm not overly familiar with bus model numbers so please bear with me. I have seen a bus in new livery going through Dunshaughlin and this morning it was parked up at the bus stop to Dublin in the village. It was a WM434 (operated by Bus Eireann). Does anyone know what route this will be running on? As a daily commuter I have to say I would be disappointed getting a bus of that spec into Dublin every day, especially being accustomed to a standard BE coach (Air con being the biggest luxury). This bus was very much a city bus and even listed the number of standing passengers allowed. I assumed this means it is not intended for a commuter route?

It is for town services in Navan I think but Bus Eireann can sometimes be not so rigid when it comes to allocations for example in Cork coaches ocassionally appear on city bus routes for example. It's probably a rare one off allocation as the Streetlite was the only available bus. The worst BE allocation in terms of comfort at the moment appears to be the allocation of 182 VWDs to the 101 (Dublin-Drogheda) which are basically the exact same as a standard DB SG.

• Advertisement

It is for town services in Navan I think but Bus Eireann can sometimes be not so rigid when it comes to allocations for example in Cork coaches ocassionally appear on city bus routes for example. It's probably a rare one off allocation as the Streetlite was the only available bus. The worse BE allocation in terms of comfort at the moment appears to be the allocation of 182 VWDs to the 101 (Dublin-Drogheda) which are basically the exact same as a standard DB SG.

Actually never looked more into them as in are they restricted to 65km/h or can they go quicker.

Actually never looked more into them as in are they restricted to 65km/h or can they go quicker.

I presume so as the Streetlites BE have are all for city/town services and are the exact same as the ones GAI have for Dublin services. The VWDs would all be limited to 65km/h as they don't have seatbelts and can take standees the pre 2018 ones have more comfortable seats with headrests and are also longer wheelbase.

The ones since 2018 on the other hand are more or less the same as the SGs as they have regular bus seats are rhe same length and also have dual doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

I like the new livery on the coaches both the VDL and the new Sunsundegui's looks much better than on the city buses alright looks from that tweet as it suggests that even GAI agree. Personally i think it would have been better perhaps if they used that design for coaches and long distance buses and a different livery for city buses.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I like the new livery on the coaches both the VDL and the new Sunsundegui's looks much better than on the city buses alright looks from that tweet as it suggests that even GAI agree. Personally i think it would have been better perhaps if they used that design for coaches and long distance buses and a different livery for city buses.

That is a tweaked version of the bus livery, the TFI logo is green, the angle of the stripes are narrower, the colours of the stripes are slightly different and they're closer together which certainly is an improvement.

Don't get me wrong it's the same livery, but the tweaks they've made to it are good ones. The lower middle panel on the front will be yellow in the final version rather than blue it is in that photo.

One flaw is the front destination is behind a tinted screen, you would think they would have designed to allow the number/destination be seen better... Maybe brighter led unit behind might be needed.

Plenty of these buses in Naas this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

pad199207 wrote: »
    Plenty of these buses in Naas this morning

Spotted one myself today. They look well in the sun. 😎
    They must be doing route/driver training ahead of an October launch.
    Looking forward to seeing the new route 125 timetable/route alignment (Naas to UCD).

emfifty wrote: »
    Spotted one myself today. They look well in the sun. 😎
    They must be doing route/driver training ahead of an October launch.
    Looking forward to seeing the new route 125 timetable/route alignment (Naas to UCD).

126 no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

pad199207 wrote: »
    126 no?

Existing 126 will remain + a new 125 route.

Details as per TFI below;

Route information:
    Route 120 – Dublin to Edenderry
    Route 120A – Dublin to Newbridge (via Prosperous)
    Route 120C – Tullamore to Enfield
    Route 125 – UCD to Newbridge
    Route 126 – Dublin to Newbridge (extensions to Kildare, Rathangan and DCU)
    Route 130 – Dublin to Athy

Advertisement