Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

vidor wrote: »
    Yeah that was awful. He's been all over the shop since he came back.

Of course he's all over the shop, this is the first July he's worked in a very, very long time. Usually the summer is time for hibernation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The gulf in depth between Newstalk and RTÉ is noticable during the Summer months.

Almost an hour after the sentence of Ivor Callely, PK has yet to cover the breaking news in any detail. Something that would normally be right up his street.

Meanwhile over on Today with Seán O'Rourke, Keelin Shanley is 10 mins into an interview detailing the background of Ivor's adventures while poor Pat is covering a story on organ donation that could be used as a filler at any time of year.

Next up Fr Brian D'Arcy.

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Lapin wrote: »
    Next up Fr Brian D'Arcy. Wow.

And he was on with John Murray this morning.. Seems like Newstalk are behind on RTE on that story as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Dear gods pats ENTIRE show today seems to be book reviews !

I'd rather be listening to a repeat than this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I thought it was a compilation that they knocked together to fill the gap this morning.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So he's going to have best buddy Gay on today live from Donegal where he's celebrating his 80th birthday. Jesus Pat, were you never told to keep your personal calls outside of work time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

And then for some opera! :)

Just tuned in here.

Is this Úna Claffey (formerly of RTÉ and political advisor to Bertie) doing the history slot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yes.

What a boring presentation of a riveting subject! Her voice kept putting me to
    sleep. :( And Pat says we are going to hear more from her! Why can't he get the wonderful Patrick Geoghegan who has done history programmes for Newstalk?
    His enthusiasm would make you fall in love with history, even if you had had no previous interest in it. But Una Claffey? No, thank you! :(

• Advertisement

Doeasn't Geoghegan already have a similar slot on the Moncrieff show ?

Wow... what a absolutely cat screechingly bad unlistenable wonderful sound you have..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

brooke 2 wrote: »
    What a boring presentation of a riveting subject! Her voice kept putting me to
    sleep. :( And Pat says we are going to hear more from her! Why can't he get the wonderful Patrick Geoghegan who has done history programmes for Newstalk?
    His enthusiasm would make you fall in love with history, even if you had had no previous interest in it. But Una Claffey? No, thank you! :(

I love Geoghegan's History Show-Far superior to the RTE one.

You have an 'interesting conceit' there.

Lapin wrote: »
    Doeasn't Geoghegan already have a similar slot on the Moncrieff show ?

Have not heard him for a long time. Used to listen to his excellent history
    programme on NT on Sunday evenings. Someone who sounds quite similar
    to him has been on Moncrieff, AFAIK. Can't remember that guy's name, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Someone who sounds quite similar to him has been on Moncrieff, AFAIK. Can't remember that guy's name, though.

I think you may be thinking of Turtle Bunbury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Have not heard him for a long time. Used to listen to his excellent history
    programme on NT on Sunday evenings. Someone who sounds quite similar
    to him has been on Moncrieff, AFAIK. Can't remember that guy's name, though.

The History Show is just on a break for the summer, it will be back in September.

Graham Finlay does a history slot on Moncrieff every tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

I think you may be thinking of Turtle Bunbury.
    foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Graham Finlay does a history slot on Moncrieff every tuesday.

Sorry, that's right - Bunbury is on the Breakfast Show.

Jeez, there's a lot of history around the place.

This man complaining to us about how the hospital was built in a hole... While speaking to us from another hole..

• Advertisement

Omitted to mention that the builder of the oft flooded Letterkenny Hospital was a
    certain Mr. McNamara of abandoned PPP projects and Thornton Hall prison
    fame! :( Not forgetting his involvement in the purchase of the infamous Glass
    Bottle site. Now out of bankruptcy and mentioned as the possible developer of
    his pal, Denis O'Brien's, Canada House on Stephen's Green!
    Plus ça change........................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Omitted to mention that the builder of the oft flooded Letterkenny Hospital was a
    certain Mr. McNamara of abandoned PPP projects and Thornton Hall prison
    fame! :( Not forgetting his involvement in the purchase of the infamous Glass
    Bottle site. Now out of bankruptcy and mentioned as the possible developer of
    his pal, Denis O'Brien's, Canada House on Stephen's Green!
    Plus ça change........................

Wonder who was the "genius" who came up with the architectural design? I'm sure McNamara built to the design he was given. But, of course, the architect probably didn't pick the site ... so here we go again, nobody is responsible. :rolleyes:

"She was very young, she did a foolish thing"...

Are you joking Pat, she was trafficking 1.5 million euros worth of drugs... She didnt miss her period... The attitude of the Irish media to this case is absolutely shocking.. The Irish media first told us that she was innocent, and then when it came out that she was actually lying the Irish media told us that she was young and naive...

I wonder what's next.. Will Ivor Callely ask to serve the rest of his sentence in Cork.. :pac:

Callan57 wrote: »
    Wonder who was the "genius" who came up with the architectural design? I'm sure McNamara built to the design he was given. But, of course, the architect probably didn't pick the site ... so here we go again, nobody is responsible. :rolleyes:

The site is the problem. What was the skullduggery involved in granting
    the planning?
    Iirc, Colm Keaveney outlined the sequence of events which involved the usual
    shenanigans from FF. Now that he has joined their ranks, I doubt he will be
    making similar statements in the future!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

The site is the problem. What was the skullduggery involved in granting the planning?
    As usual, follow the money. Who owned the site before the Health Board bought it?
    Iirc, Colm Keaveney outlined the sequence of events which involved the usual shenanigans from FF.
    Could you find that again and post it, please? (Just Googled it myself and couldn't)

serfboard wrote: »
    As usual, follow the money. Who owned the site before the Health Board bought it?

Could you find that again and post it, please? (Just Googled it myself and couldn't)

I don't know those details but I am sure I remember Colm Keaveney speaking
    about them sometime after the last flooding. Have googled it myself just now -
    no trace of it! Maybe some enterprising journalist might unearth it!! My memory
    is that he said it in an interview on RTE, not in the Dáil.

serfboard wrote: »
    As usual, follow the money. Who owned the site before the Health Board bought it? Could you find that again and post it, please? (Just Googled it myself and couldn't)

‘He tickled Bertie’s belly’: Here’s what Colm Keaveney used to say about Fianna Fáil

I think Colm Keaveny represents the worst elements of Irish politics.. self serving, changes principles based on what his focus groups say, able to turn on the waterworks when it suits him..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

"She was very young, she did a foolish thing"...

Are you joking Pat, she was trafficking 1.5 million euros worth of drugs... She didnt miss her period... The attitude of the Irish media to this case is absolutely shocking.. The Irish media first told us that she was innocent, and then when it came out that she was actually lying the Irish media told us that she was young and naive...

But she was young and did do a foolish thing and she is paying for it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

giphy.gif?w=320

Advertisement