Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Books you are looking forward to

Options
  • 17-11-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hey everyone!

I noticed there are LOTS of books coming out soon that I'm really looking forward to...
    Sarah Rees Brennan's new "Unspoken" will be out in June.
    SRB/Justine Larbalestier will publish "Team Human" in early 2012.
    The final Eragon is FINALLY coming out these days.
    And the next Cassie Clare is also on the way to be out in December :D

Any books you folks are looking forward to? :)

Cheers!
    kickarykee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

Yep. The rest of Cormac McCarthy's works (see my separate thread) and the new biography of Spencer Tracy.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

This: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/De-Profundis-Other-Writings-Oscar-Wilde/9780140439908 Only 168 days left... hmm and it's edited by Colm Toibin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Michael Connelly's "The Drop", as I'm a shameless Harry Bosch fanboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Robert Harris's final part in the Cicero trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

Oscar Wilde is awesome :D

What's the Cicero Trilogy about?
    The man Cicero or is it fictional?

• Advertisement

Actually, having watched the Steinbeck programme on BBC 4 during the week I'm just about to re-read THE GRAPES OF WRATH for the first time in 24yrs. Looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

The new PD James. A murder mystery set 6 years after the marriage of Elizabeth and Mr Darcy. My Christmas read.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Harlan Coben's Shelter,out now,Patricia Cornwell's Red Mist,due out next week-will buy both and wrap them as my Christmas pressies to me from me!

Tami Hoag's Down The Darkest Road- due out end of year and Lisa Gardner's Catch Me- due out for in the Spring.Might get these on Kindle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

mickoregan wrote: »
    Actually, having watched the Steinbeck programme on BBC 4 during the week I'm just about to re-read THE GRAPES OF WRATH for the first time in 24yrs. Looking forward to that.

Looking forward to reading that for the first time in 21 years myself, though unlike yourself, I've not read it before. I just recently read 'Of Mice And Men' which I enjoyed.

Looking forward to reading that for the first time in 21 years myself, though unlike yourself, I've not read it before. I just recently read 'Of Mice And Men' which I enjoyed.
    It's a wonderful piece of work. I'm enjoying discovering it all over again. Might I recommend EAST OF EDEN - Steinbeck's masterpiece, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

I don't keep up with new books at all.

Would it qualify to say I am looking forward to discovering more older works by Nobel, Pulitizer and Booker prize winners.

Anyone who knows my posting style here will know I am not in the least bit pretentious about my readings, this stuff is really the kind of thing that stimulates me emotionally and intellectually.

Next year I should get around to reading authors like Gunter Grass, Toni Morrison, more Italo Calvino and both Henrys, Miller and James.

I read James' PORTRAIT OF A LADY earlier this year and did not engage with it at all. I found it a trudge.
    The only other James I'd read was WASHINGTON SQUARE which I did enjoy.
    In discussing him with others I've been advised that, overall, his work is a bit of an acquired taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

mickoregan wrote: »
    I read James' PORTRAIT OF A LADY earlier this year and did not engage with it at all. I found it a trudge.
    The only other James I'd read was WASHINGTON SQUARE which I did enjoy.
    In discussing him with others I've been advised that, overall, his work is a bit of an acquired taste.

Of his work, I have only read "The Turn Of The Screw" which was difficult(a shame really, as it is a mere novella) due to James' ponderous and flowerly style of writing, but it made me think a lot, and the work itself is open to multiple interpretations: Is it a genuine ghost story, a pyschoanalytic nightmare for the narrator, or something more?

still, I wouldn't consider it one of my favourites.

James is an interesting writer and person, he came from a family of theologians, intellectuals and other scholarly types. His brother is the famous psychologist William James.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The final part of Harris' Cicero trilogy.

George R.R. Martins next installment in the Song of Ice and Fire series (I'll probably be picking up my pension when thats finished)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Grievous wrote: »
    Of his work, I have only read "The Turn Of The Screw" which was difficult(a shame really, as it is a mere novella) due to James' ponderous and flowerly style of writing, but it made me think a lot, and the work itself is open to multiple interpretations: Is it a genuine ghost story, a pyschoanalytic nightmare for the narrator, or something more?

still, I wouldn't consider it one of my favourites.

Same here. Found it a bit of a struggle to get through and for such a short book I took quite a while to read it.

Also started Portrait of a Lady a couple of years ago and didn't finish it. I didn't decide to stop reading it but just kind of drifted away from it. It was all a bit tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

kickarykee wrote: »

What's the Cicero Trilogy about?
    The man Cicero or is it fictional?

It's historical fiction, basically the rise and fall of Cicero in narrative form, told from the viewpoint of his slave Tiro who was his scribe and right hand in many ways.

I'm dying for the next book too! Can't wait. Might buy this on Kindle my iPad Kindle app when it comes out.

Advertisement