Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Delighted to hear that. It will be great to see her back on the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It must kill Serena to think “how can this nobody come back after giving birth and win three majors, and me, the GWOAT is still flaking.”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I know it's more a money spinner and a bit of craic more than anything else, but anybody watching the Laver Cup?

Good match between Fed and Kyrgios today. It was close but Fed had too much for him in the end.

Match yesterday between Tsitsipas and Fritz was quite good too.

It gets a bad rap, but I have enjoyed the previous two editions. The fun starts when it gets to the doubles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I’m watching when I can. Missed this evenings matches, but Fed v NK was a good game. It really seems to matter to these, watching Nadal getting worked up on the sideline. Borg, on the other hand, saunters around like he doesn’t give a monkeys.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I’m watching when I can. Missed this evenings matches, but Fed v NK was a good game. It really seems to matter to these, watching Nadal getting worked up on the sideline. Borg, on the other hand, saunters around like he doesn’t give a monkeys.

Ah, that was always his way. Cool as a cucumber even at high pressure moments. :) Sure even during "that tie-break" he strolled around nonchalantly like a fella pushing a shopping trolley down the fruit and veg isle.

To create a bit more rivalry it would be better for the tournament if Team World won this one.

Kyrgios and Sock beat Nadal and Tsitsipas in the doubles. Final day tomorrow should be good hopefully. Europe currently lead 7-5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Great to see Medvedev back in a final in his first tournament after New York. I know it's only a 250 in St. Petersburg but no sign of a post US Open funk so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Andreescu and Osaka playing now in the China Open. Andreescu playing the better of the 2. Osaka looks a bit flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Floppybits wrote: »
    Andreescu and Osaka playing now in the China Open. Andreescu playing the better of the 2. Osaka looks a bit flat.

Just tuned in to see Osaka take second set. Andreescu looking the more likely as things stand but developing into an excellent scrap from the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I must say that it's great to see Murray back in action, and competing. I have my doubts about his ability to challenge for titles again, but he is certainly making a mockery of all those retirement tributes from earlier this year :pac:

I must say that it's great to see Murray back in action, and competing. I have my doubts about his ability to challenge for titles again, but he is certainly making a mockery of all those retirement tributes from earlier this year :pac:

He was playing some good tennis at Beijing last week and played well against Lordero at Shanghai earlier today. It would be great to see him back competing in slams again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Djokovic and Federer both knocked out of Shanghai today... It's the changing of the guard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Djokovic and Federer both knocked out of Shanghai today... It's the changing of the guard!!

Djokovic had been playing well for the past couple of weeks too..

hopefully a sign of things to come, these guys have to get used to beating the old fogies in best of three before being solid enough to take them out in slams often enough to make retirement look enticing.

it really looks to me now that Djokovic will not catch Nadal/Federer, the field is getting more and more dangerous....

Tsitsipas And Zverev played really well. I thought when Zverev lost the second he might go a bit wobbly but he held his nerve in the third.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Haven't seen Fed lose it so badly in a long time. He really was furious with the umpire. I think its petty of him to expect umpires to let him know when the balls are about to be changed. Can he not count himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

lostcat wrote: »
    Djokovic had been playing well for the past couple of weeks too..

hopefully a sign of things to come, these guys have to get used to beating the old fogies in best of three before being solid enough to take them out in slams often enough to make retirement look enticing.

it really looks to me now that Djokovic will not catch Nadal/Federer, the field is getting more and more dangerous....

Although some may not agree I would probably rate Djokovic already to be the greatest. Just look at who he has beaten in the final to win his 16 slams. In addition a winning record vs Federer and Nadal and not only that he has beaten federer and Nadal at all four grand slams. He has the most wins of any player vs nadal on clay, 3 Wimbledon final wins over Federer. Only player to have won all the masters series, has won 5 world tour finals. He is now fast approaching the most weeks ever at world number one.

I also think his level of play from mid 2015 to French open 2016 is the highest I have ever seen.

Finally the only existing player to have won 4 consecutive slams

The guy is just ridiculously good and has a winning record vs all the top players of his generation

I expect 2 or 3 hundred Federer and Nadal fans to be here in a minute, completely agreeing with you.........:D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The incredible Coco Gauff story continues. Knocked out of Linz qualies, gets back into the main draw as a lucky loser and then wins the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

The incredible Coco Gauff story continues. Knocked out of Linz qualies, gets back into the main draw as a lucky loser and then wins the title.

how long until she can play a full tour?

lostcat wrote: »
    how long until she can play a full tour?

The rules state you get full tour rights at 16 so presumably that kicks in for her next March when she reaches that milestone. It's a good rule and even 16 is young enough to be going full pelt at it imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Meanwhile, the young guns look like they are finally making a move on the mens side. Another M1000 for Medvedev in Shanghai, he looks ready to take a slam in 2020..

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, the young guns look like they are finally making a move on the mens side. Another M1000 for Medvedev in Shanghai, he looks ready to take a slam in 2020..

Aye, he has been playing some great tennis. Great to see some new blood breaking through.

Great to see Murray back in a final. Himself and Stan should be a good contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Murray winning a title in 2019 after all the tributes and obituaries in January

Haha what a man

jr86 wrote: »
    Murray winning a title in 2019 after all the tributes and obituaries in January

Haha what a man

All the top pros should form a guard of honour for him during the ceremony when he walks out in Melbourne un january, where they basically retired him this year.

Is there another slam in him?

Will need to improve his serve a lot but this has been a superb comeback

A potential 5 setter every second day for 2 weeks? I would love it but its a huge ask.

jr86 wrote: »
    Is there another slam in him?

Will need to improve his serve a lot but this has been a superb comeback

A good run at a slam maybe? Going the full hog might be too much of an ask. But then again you just never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Good win but we are talking the Antwerp open here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The prestige of the event isn't as important as the quality of the field taking part and it was a significant step up for him.

Whether he can ever get back to GS contender level, or even close, remains to be seen, but he's a hell of a lot closer to it than anyone could possibly have envisioned back in Australia.

• Advertisement

I don't care if it was the Cavan Classic, the guy was written out of the game for good in January, this comeback has been extraordinary.

If he can continue his progress it wouldnt shock me one bit to see him going deep in a few slams again. Guys like Chung, Edmund, Checcinato have made slam semis in recent years. Anderson slam finals. I rest my case

Advertisement