Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are British people better at doing than Irish people?

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ignoring their history.....

For a long time, Irish history as taught in school stopped at The Treaty. We all lived happily ever after, move along, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

20silkcut wrote: »
    Yes 100%. The great famine that occurred in the UK in the 1840’s is almost wholly referred to as the Irish famine.
    The starving Uk citizens who ended up on the shores of the new world as a result of this famine were Irish emigrants never referred to as UK emigrants, which is technically what they were and very much subjects of Queen Victoria at the time.

The civil war that occurred in the UK from 1969 to 1998 is always referred to as the Irish troubles.
    Despite the fact that Harold Wilson told jack lynch to stay out of it in 1969 that it was an internal UK matter. The conflict almost entirely took place on UK soil enacted by UK citizens that we are told is as much part of the UK as Newcastle or Manchester.
    Yet it always referred to as the Irish troubles.
    It was a UK civil war it should be referred to as the UK troubles.

And to go back to emigrants. Uk people living in foreign countries are never referred to as migrants but ex pats. When foreigners come to the UK they are migrants. When the brits move out foreign they are ex pats.
    It was the Irish that gave the conflict the title of the "Troubles".

If by 'we' you mean, the British, I think the fact that they don't acknowledge how they invaded, plundered and mistreated sovereign states for hundreds of years before then deciding the voted members of the EU parliament were impacting British life and so deciding to leave the EU community would be a fairly clear example of ignoring things.

It’s not so much ignoring it, it’s not being so rabidly obsessed by it, like some Irish people seem to be.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Drinking up very quickly when the bell is rung for last orders in the pub. When they say “time”, they really mean it. Less than 10 minutes and all the punters are out the door. Impressed me the first time I saw this in London 25 years ago.

Being more direct than us Irish but usually polite along with it. No dancing around when offered something at a friend’s place - “no I won’t, ah you will”, etc. Mrs Doyle style. If you’re offered something and politely refuse, you won’t be offered again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Raving, they sure did know how to put a good tune together back in the day anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Drinking up very quickly when the bell is rung for last orders in the pub. When they say “time”, they really mean it. Less than 10 minutes and all the punters are out the door. Impressed me the first time I saw this in London 25 years ago.

Being more direct than us Irish but usually polite along with it. No dancing around when offered something at a friend’s place - “no I won’t, ah you will”, etc. Mrs Doyle style. If you’re offered something and politely refuse, you won’t be offered again.

Indeed. I do have to emphasis this to my parents every time they come over the visit.

You can hear the unnatural strain in my mother's voice: 'Yes I will have a cup of tea.' and not the usual 'Ah sure no I'm grand.' fully expecting it to put in front of her anyway in that Irish manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

JupiterKid wrote: »

Definitely more direct, but I like that. Time spent in other countries-especially on the continent will quickly make you realise how indirect and dithery we are. The English are polite with it though...unlike some continentals.

I remember Donnacha O Callaghan on a chat show here talking about how when he was playing rugby in England he was in someone's home and offered some delicious looking home made cake by his English host, he did the Irish "ah no I won't..." expecting the Mrs Doyle response, but instead to his shock and horror there was no second offer and the cake was taken away! :D

Another thing I noticed just yesterday when chatting with a lovely English lady who lives many years in Sligo,- they're very forthcoming with invitations. I haven't known her very long but the first time I spoke to her I got an invitation to stay in her home for myself and my partner over Christmas! and it was a genuine invitation, not just a polite one expecting me to politely decline.

I've experience it with other English living here too...though most of them are a certain type of English so maybe it's not across the board like that.

I find they're faster and more upfront in letting you know whether they like you or not though and I like that, saves time and energy. You know where you stand with them quicker than with a lot of Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

If by 'we' you mean, the British, I think the fact that they don't acknowledge how they invaded, plundered and mistreated sovereign states for hundreds of years before then deciding the voted members of the EU parliament were impacting British life and so deciding to leave the EU community would be a fairly clear example of ignoring things.

Sovereign states? At which point in history was any British forces involved in the invasion and plunder of a sovereign state.

Please name the sovereign states.. I will help. Name one pre 1914.

Advertisement