Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Peregrine wrote: »
    The NTA are not keen on large scale car restrictions until Bus Connects is finished.

They are already planning significant car restrictions — the NTA’s problem they have to get over is doing for more than just buses. Take the Rathmines Road — it needs a bus gate sooner rather than later (ie really in advance of BusConnects) so that space can be transferred to cycling, buses also be given priority and continue local car etc access.
    Peregrine wrote: »
    Mobhi Road will become a two way local access road. The trees won't be cut down.

They then need to answer why two lanes of traffic are being retained in both directions on the Ballymun Road. Why is so much space needed to be kept on the Ballymun Road when there’s nowhere for it to go?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

monument wrote: »
    They are already planning significant car restrictions — the NTA’s problem they have to get over is doing for more than just buses. Take the Rathmines Road — it needs a bus gate sooner rather than later (ie really in advance of BusConnects) so that space can be transferred to cycling, buses also be given priority and continue local car etc access.

They then need to answer why two lanes of traffic are being retained in both directions on the Ballymun Road. Why is so much space needed to be kept on the Ballymun Road when there’s nowhere for it to go?

Oh, I don't disagree with any of that.

The question of the width of Ballymun Road was put to them again at the meeting. I didn't think the answer was satisfactory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

RTE Radio has reported that the revised proposals are due out today. An increase of the number of routes by 22% is part of the new plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

RTE Radio has reported that the revised proposals are due out today. An increase of the number of routes by 22% is part of the new plan.

I have a feeling we’ll end up with essentially the same network just renumbered. Orbitals will be welcome regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Qrt wrote: »
    I have a feeling we’ll end up with essentially the same network just renumbered. Orbitals will be welcome regardless.

Reported that Dunboyne and Clonee will have direct services in the peak hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The extras were said to be ultra low frequency routes to shut up local opposition and designed to be pulled due to lack of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

minor changes for the North Wicklow routes - the 84X replacement now goes via the M50 and Cherrywood so there's at least a peaktime connection to the Luas but still basically no way to get from North Wicklow to Sandyford or Dundrum off-peak without a long hike to/from the N11.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Is the original network map from the 1st round still available anywhere for comparison?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

thomasj wrote: »

I can see at least one area that will have an already poor service removed completely!

The route to replace the newly introduced 40E, which was a shuttle to Broombridge Luas and the only bus currently servicing Hollystown, no longer appears to be servicing Hollystown at all.

spockety wrote: »
    Is the original network map from the 1st round still available anywhere for comparison?
    This is the D15 one anyway
    https://busconnects.ie/media/1247/map2-proposednetwork.pdf

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any outer area losing an irregular service entirely is likely to get a LocalLink replacement. The Rolestown service is being replaced by a Swords-Ashbourne coach for instance. Won't be direct but will be vastly more frequent

L1011 wrote: »
    Any outer area losing an irregular service entirely is likely to get a LocalLink replacement. The Rolestown service is being replaced by a Swords-Ashbourne coach for instance. Won't be direct but will be vastly more frequent

But it makes no sense to remove a service that links up with the Luas by readjusting the route by about 1km. I suspect I may know the issue and it's a mistake/based on erroneous information, but as it is, it's adjusting a route only slightly, but in doing so leaves a reasonably sized area unserved by Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Howth got a less frequent service at the request of reside ts. Perhaps a world first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

On the positive side the direct peak time services (325/326) have been modified to be more similar to the existing 66x.

On the downside overall and peak frequency is quite a bit worse. The 66x currently has 9 morning departures and 5 in the evening that go to Maynooth. The replacement 325 & 326 has 5 morning departures and 5 in the evening.

The direct replacement for the 66 (C3) has gone from 24 minute frequency to 30 minute frequency. The existing 66 and 67 services both have a 30 minute frequency and service maynooth so that's basically a 50% reduction. I guess the locallink buses have to come from somewhere.

It's hard to guess the total impact of all the changes, the existing 66/66x route is heavily subscribed and it's often very difficult to actually get on one throughout most of the day. Less people going to chapelizoid will help but I suspect they're assuming train capacity that just isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Does anyone know if the route 36 (Ashtown) is a new route or replacement route?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

loyatemu wrote: »
    minor changes for the North Wicklow routes - the 84X replacement now goes via the M50 and Cherrywood so there's at least a peaktime connection to the Luas but still basically no way to get from North Wicklow to Sandyford or Dundrum off-peak without a long hike to/from the N11.

Yeah pretty bad for north wicklow still. For bray in general having the E1 every 10-15 minutes is a reduction on current service with 145 every 10 and 155 every 20

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

loyatemu wrote: »

Would appear that only the 302, which replaces the 84X that runs from Newcastle, will go by the M50, of which there are 2 in the morning peak time. The 301 replaces the 84X that starts in Kilcoole and does not appear to run via Cherrywood/M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Daith wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the route 36 (Ashtown) is a new route or replacement route?

It’s replacing the 120 and was a better route in the old plan.

The old plan it left Ashtown/RCP and headed down the ballyboggan road, turned right and served broombridge and then took a quick route to town via Cabra.

Now it more closely follows the current 120 route albeit with a less convoluted route around Cabra North but seems to lose the BB connectivity.

Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There's lots of old crappy routes backtracked and re-added. And a lot of the Spine buses that were 10min frequency are now 10-15 min frequency. It now looks closer to the existing bus routes we have already and a lot less like the revitalized network we really need, only to appease the minority of people (based on feedback I seen in local meetings anyway)

Lets not also forget the target completion of this is still 4 years away. IMO it should pushed forward as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

jayobray wrote: »
    Would appear that only the 302, which replaces the 84X that runs from Newcastle, will go by the M50, of which there are 2 in the morning peak time. The 301 replaces the 84X that starts in Kilcoole and does not appear to run via Cherrywood/M50.

you're right, they should run them all through Cherrywood IMO, though it would mean spending slightly longer on the traffic-choked M50

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

The original proposal had the F3 spine running past my door on Stannaway Road in Kimmage. This would have run straight into town and connected with all of the orbital routes.

(As revealed by someone on here weeks ago) this new proposal replaces that with a nonsensical 15 route that runs through Rathmines to get to town. It appears to run far less frequently than my current service.

The new map is an absolute shambles in my opinion.

I wouldn't blame the NTA for that though. I would blame most local politicians, the Irish Times editorial board, and a handful of property owners who have never actually had to use a bus.

This city will always be a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Haven't a look at the revisions yet but just got a notification from the IT saying "5% of Dubliners are set to lose their direct bus route to the City Centre" which sounds fine to me but no prizes for guessing what way they're spinning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Disappointed to see that they have moved the E1 out of the Northwood Estate and instead continued up the Ballymun Road towards Ikea. I suspect there will be park and ride facilities there. There's a lot more residential development going into Northwood, and it has a busy office campus during the day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

john boye wrote: »
    Haven't a look at the revisions yet but just got a notification from the IT saying "5% of Dubliners are set to lose their direct bus route to the City Centre" which sounds fine to me but no prizes for guessing what way they're spinning it.

Doesn't really surprise you does it that they're focusing on the 5% of people that they believe are losing out rather than the greater number of people that will benefit, we're going to see this plan watered down further by the time this consultation period comes to an end, there's no doubt about that.

There'll also be the usual groups, TDs and other people who will try and put stuff related to privatisation in the mix, calling spines routes where you'll have to change buses and people objected to the plans for reasons other than actually having a problem with the plans themselves.

Maynooth seems to be getting an increase 'better' (current) evening/weekend services but a reduction to current daytime vs the 2018 proposal.

Over-reliance on Maynooth/Leixlip/Celbridge DARTs to take up capacity growth; when they are bound to be delayed in delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Couple interesting developments in Blanch - this new proposal indicates that the Huntstown Wood/Littlepace bus gate is definitely on the cards, and they're also proposing reopening the Mill Road hospital entrance, possibly as a bus gate 🤔

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Couple interesting developments in Blanch - this new proposal indicates that the Huntstown Wood/Littlepace bus gate is definitely on the cards, and they're also proposing reopening the Mill Road hospital entrance, possibly as a bus gate 🀔

Yeah I was thought I was seeing things when I noticed a bus to Dunboyne go via huntstown and not hartstown. Interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Shedite27

There's lots of old crappy routes backtracked and re-added. And a lot of the Spine buses that were 10min frequency are now 10-15 min frequency. It now looks closer to the existing bus routes we have already and a lot less like the revitalized network we really need, only to appease the minority of people (based on feedback I seen in local meetings anyway)
    Not to get in the way of a good auld Politician-bashing, but have ya any examples of these routes?

Advertisement