Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exporting data from familysearch.org

• 12-09-2019 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭

I've been dabbling with the family tree for a few years and have now got a few hundred family members going back to the 1700s.

As advised here in the stickie, I've input all my data into familysearch.org. But there's no way of exporting the tree I've compiled without the use of third-party software associated with the LDS. However, that software interface looks like it hasn't been touched since Windows 5.

Before I go ahead and start using the third party software, does anyone here know if is it possible to export the data from that software into another commercial package.

Also, what package would you recommend that's not going to break the bank. Just looking for one that charts the family tree with significant dates and places and maybe a biog. section.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I cannot help you on the CLDS data migration – usually the way to transfer data is to download/convert it to a GEDCOM file, (GEnealogical Data COMmunication) and then import it to one of the commercial family tree programs. Most (all?) of them have free versions but limit what can be input/manipulated and have a cap on the number of ancestors that can be input.

Sadly, AFAIK there are no basic/simple/cheap family tree programs, the main makes drive profitability by increasing costs to existing users by periodic upgrades with add-ons that most do not want (e.g. who wants ‘another’ photograph touch-up tool, or the ability to colour the box around a relative, etc.?) These are quite costly and frequently necessary, as support for older versions is dropped.

I have used Familytreemaker for 20+ years so quite locked in to it. While I was an early advocator, I have grown increasingly disenchanted, to the extent that I did not bother to ‘avail’ of their early purchase discount on the most recent upgrade. Genopro (free) is supposedly good, I’ve not yet had the opportunity to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks Pedro, very useful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Do have a search in the forum as we have many threads about software.

Genealogy Forum Mod

As advised here in the stickie, I've input all my data into familysearch.org. But there's no way of exporting the tree I've compiled without the use of third-party software associated with the LDS. However, that software interface looks like it hasn't been touched since Windows 5.

Just want to clarify that the sticky does not suggest putting your tree up on familysearch. It suggests searching on familysearch. Sorry if this was misleading.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

As far as I'm aware, all trees on FamilySearch are open and can be edited by anyone!

I think that you can download MyHeritage tree builder free of charge. I'm sure that there are some better products out there but this one is free and you don't have to subscribe to MH if you prefer not to.

• Advertisement

Familysearch trees can also not be removed. I tried to remove mine (only very small and experimental) and it wouldn't let me because there were apparently collaborators!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Familysearch trees can also not be removed. I tried to remove mine (only very small and experimental) and it wouldn't let me because there were apparently collaborators!

You're also a Mormon now!! :P

Advertisement