Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Red light cameras

Options
  • 12-09-2019 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

could anyone tell me are there automated red light cameras in Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kmepll

One heading on to the quays at blackhall place covering the lights at the luas crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

They should have them everywhere like in China. You do not get a fine straight away but when you are up for a tax or driving licence renewal, the violations are added up and you will be fined in one go. When there are too many you receive a suspension or your driving licence is withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres one after the Chapelizod Bypass heading towards Heuston station, the last set of traffic lights.. and the one mentioned above. I’m not aware of any other ones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The one at the end of the Chapelizon bypass is physically still there

Don't the LUAS crossings have them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Badly needed at all major junctions in Dublin. Would pay for themselves in a matter of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

yes some junctions are crazy, with 3 & 4 cars running the lights after they change.

I know traffic is frustrating, but if they knew for a fact there would be a fine coming in the post every time they ran a red, it would stop overnight!

If the lack of enforcement, and the the knowledge that chances are you can get away with that kind of behavior that makes people take the risk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

We need red light cameras and bus lane cameras. And a lot of them. The chances of getting caught right now is miniscule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Peregrine wrote: »
    We need red light cameras and bus lane cameras. And a lot of them. The chances of getting caught right now is miniscule.

And if they could catch people using phones while driving that would be an added benefit. Drivers simply don't care about red lights, bus lanes and phone use now as there is a miniscule chance of being caught. The technology exists, is used effectively in many countries and should be implemented here as soon as possible to make our roads safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Don't the LUAS crossings have them ?

I know the first one they installed was at Blackhall St/Benburb St as there was so many accidents there....But could be up in many more spots now.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

I remember a few months back reading there was going to be 3 of these cameras out in place in Dublin City did they not go ahead? So in reality the only was of getting caught in Ireland running a red light is if by chance a Garda happens to see it? Doesn’t seem right

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There's currently no legislative basis to run red light cameras in Ireland, so it needs our politicians to put the work in on them.

The NTA are also looking to take over the running off red light cameras from the guards. No reason given, but I'd say that they see the guards doing nothing with enforcement of other traffic offenses, and are sick of it impacting upon their remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Particularly miniscule when you can run a red light directly in front of a Roads Police Garda, on a motorbike, and he does nothing. Which is something I witnessed this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Buses already have loads of cameras. I don't understand why one of the forward-facing ones can't be used to prosecute people who drive/park in bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Buses already have loads of cameras. I don't understand why one of the forward-facing ones can't be used to prosecute people who drive/park in bus lanes.

Probably because Bus Companies would have to commit resources to something which is distinctly outside their remit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Lack of legislation. NTA are pushing the Minister for Stepaside Garda Station to bring in legislation. Robert Troy brought a private member's bill to the Dáil a few months ago and it passed the first stage.

The NTA are keen on using both fixed and bus mounted cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Minister for Stepaside Garda Station
    Brilliant :p

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

Ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Because pictures are not enough. You need the exact time and location of the incident and it needs to be recorded by a calibrated and tamperproof system, which I doubt the cameras on the buses have (if they even record time and location). Then someone has to look up what the actual times of operation of the bus lane on that location are, to see if the incident happened inside or outside these hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mdebets wrote: »
    it needs to be recorded by a calibrated and tamperproof system, which I doubt the cameras on the buses have (if they even record time and location).
    calibration is only an issue regarding time for this, surely? location should be easy as you're using photographic or video evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

calibration is only an issue regarding time for this, surely? location should be easy as you're using photographic or video evidence.

Unfortunately due to our expert legals ... calibration is not the only issue, the technology exists and is easily available for someone to modify an image or video, a registration plate number could easily be changed in a matter of seconds, color of a vehicle can be changed in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Can we also get these too? Illegal parking is out of control in this country https://www.sigmax.nl/en/solution/scan-car/

In my opinion the correct way to deal with bus lane offenders would be ANPR camera dotted along bus lanes and also a cctv camera nearby if the vehicle is not a registered bus or taxi a fine would be issued, the cctv clip would be automatically downloaded and uploaded to a secure website which would be linked in the fine notice for viewing, the offender would then be faced with the option to accept fine/footage or challenge the system before a court.

As for red light offenders, similar type of system, once the light changes to orange supporting cctv would record and licence plate recognition software would be used to identify offenders, the cctv system would show the distance the driver moved and approximate speed they would have been traveling to go through the light, if the system if automated it would allow for running costs to be minimized (initial costs would be huge but it would pay for itself within the first year at a guess, it would certainly change driver behaviour within 6months of operation.

Every day I see offenders pass me while I sit in traffic, I have had many years of commuting and many years listening to the legal system to believe this is possibly the best option available. (Of course someone with more expertise will shatter my dream in the next few message...lol)

You are going to have exceptions to those rules. And i dont know about you, but I dont recall every time I move somewhere I'm "not" supposed to be because of something that happened around me. I dont want to have to be disputing something I did honestly, 6 months later, when I csnt remember why I did it.

With an automated system fines would be sent out within days of the alleged offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Any chance of somebody inventing a yellow box camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I know traffic is frustrating, but if they knew for a fact there would be a fine coming in the post every time they ran a red, it would stop overnight!
    We have longer sequence times because of the amount of red light jumping, as far as I'm aware. It's also been given as the justification for Red to Green, rather than (for example) the UK with Red - Red/ Amber - Green.

The councils are also installing more pedestrian lights as they don't think zebra crossings are safe, due to motorists not respecting the rules around them.

Buses are slower than they need to be, because of all the illegal vehicles in bus lanes. Cycling isn't as big a mode as it could be, partly because of the lack of respect of the laws for them from motorists. Both add to the numbers of cars on the road.

Basically, motorist behaviour is part of the "traffic", away from the obvious and volume.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Any chance of somebody inventing a yellow box camera?
    It exists ...in England local councils send fines out based on these cameras. (Only reason I know this is because a Facebook friend recently posted about getting fined and showed the pic the council sent him)

Advertisement