Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flying Drones in Parks

• 21-09-2019 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Was in St Anne’s Park (Dublin City Council, D5 area) earlier. Couple and their children flying a drone over my head. I gave it the finger as I absolutely hate these things, but now I’m wondering, what is the legal position of flying a drone in a public - managed park area ? There were also kids about where I was so if it was recording footage I would be very concerned as a parent too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭SteM

There are signs up in Corkagh Park saying they're not allowed, I'm surprised there aren't signs about it in all city parks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

SteM wrote: »
    There are signs up in Corkagh Park saying they're not allowed, I'm surprised there aren't signs about it in all city parks.

There are no signs in St Anne’s Park for rules about flying drones in the park. Most people don’t as they're not pathetic enough to record football pitches and random people walking. Next time one goes near me I’m going to do my level best to take it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,420 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

No you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Youd be in trouble afaik theyre treated as an aircraft and have the same level of protection

Youd be in trouble afaik theyre treated as an aircraft and have the same level of protection

I’ll plead self defense as it’s an unwarranted invasion of my privacy and my space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,869 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hal3000 wrote: »
    There are no signs in St Anne’s Park for rules about flying drones in the park. Most people don’t as they're not pathetic enough to record football pitches and random people walking. Next time one goes near me I’m going to do my level best to take it down.

There's no right to privacy in public so they aren't doing anything wrong with the camera.

Here's the rules on flying drones

https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones

Then they would better have a permit to fly it in a public space and also my consent to record me.

Then they would better have a permit to fly it in a public space and also my consent to record me.

It's a public place, your consent isn't needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I’ll plead self defense as it’s an unwarranted invasion of my privacy.

You're in a public place. You've no right to privacy from a drone and certainly no right to destroy someone's property.

You're in a public place. You've no right to privacy from a drone and certainly no right to destroy someone's property.

Madness. So a drone can hover over my head and record me and there is nothing I can do about it ? If anything flies close to me I’ll be defending myself. I’ll take the risk. Sorry, but that is complete madness how a permit is not required to fly something that has the same rights an aircraft. Most drone owners don’t have permits so how could any law be applied ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Madness. So a drone can hover over my head and record me and there is nothing I can do about it ? If anything flies close to me I’ll be defending myself. I’ll take the risk. Sorry but that is complete madness how a permit is not required to fly something that has the same rights an aircraft.,

If you're in a public place you can be recorded with a CCTV camera, phone or drone etc. There's nothing you can do about it.

Now, if the drone was endangering you then that's different.

If you're in a public place you can be recorded with a CCTV camera, phone or drone etc. There's nothing you can do about it.

Now, if the drone was endangering you then that's different.

Yes, this one was flying very close. I did feel endangered and I’ll be protecting myself next time if one comes as close.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Madness. So a drone can hover over my head and record me and there is nothing I can do about it ? If anything flies close to me I’ll be defending myself. I’ll take the risk. Sorry, but that is complete madness how a permit is not required to fly something that has the same rights an aircraft. Most drone owners don’t have permits so how could any law be applied ?

Have you ever walked up Grafton street? if so you were recorded on several hundred cctv devices.

Are you going to demand their permission also?

Again, no you won't...stop pretending. Nobody here is impressed.

Steve wrote: »
    Have you ever walked up Grafton street? if so you were recorded on several hundred cctv devices.

Are you going to demand their permission also?

Sorry CCTV doesn’t usually fly close to your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

But they will have you recorded committing a criminal act against their property. You will only have your word for self defence.
    If you feel there is anything sinister happening, you are perfectly entitled to record it on your phone and report it to the Gardai.

But they will have you recorded committing a criminal act against their property. You will only have your word for self defence.
    If you feel there is anything sinister happening, you are perfectly entitled to record it on your phone and report it to the Gardai.

I’m sorry but I felt completely endangered at the time. It was very close to my head and I’m well within my rights to protect myself if I feel threatened. No criminal act was committed so you can stop that now please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

So you see a couple and their children flying a drone close to you and you decide the best thing to do was give it the middle finger. So the parents and kids go home all excited to see their drone footage and there right in the middle is some stranger sticking up his finger, nice move, the kids will be delighted.
    Maybe next time just for fun you should approach the people and politely ask that they don't fly close to you as you find it intimidating, and maybe they'll be friendly and move away.

corsav6 wrote: »
    So you see a couple and their children flying a drone close to you and you decide the best thing to do was give it the middle finger. So the parents and kids go home all excited to see their drone footage and there right in the middle is some stranger sticking up his finger, nice move, the kids will be delighted.
    Maybe next time just for fun you should approach the people and politely ask that they don't fly close to you as you find it intimidating, and maybe they'll be friendly and move away.

Don't mind him, he didn't do a thing.

I’m sorry but I felt completely endangered at the time and I’m within my rights to protect myself. No criminal act was committed so you can stop that now please.

If you felt somebody endangered you, would you not report it?

Section 13 covers it - Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,399 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You're in a public space so consent is not required, are you sure it had a camera attached?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I’m sorry but I felt completely endangered at the time. It was very close to my head and I’m well within my rights to protect myself if I feel threatened. No criminal act was committed so you can stop that now please.

I presume you reported it to either the Guards or the IAA.

Did you take a video of it? it will help your court case.

Did you identify the owner of the aircraft? did you take a photo of them? I'm assuming you at least had a capable phone with you at the time...

corsav6 wrote: »

I couldn’t care less what the family or the kids think. I don’t go to the park to be recorded by random strangers who are not bound by any laws of GDPR like owners of CCTV footage. I don’t record people in the park who I do not know and I expect the same. Sorry but I won’t back down on this. These things are a scourge on our privacy and if someone fly's one so close to me again I’ll be defending myself against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,399 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I couldn’t care less what the family or the kids think. I don’t go to the park to be recorded by random strangers who are not bound by any laws of GDPR like owners of CCTV footage. I don’t record people in the park who I do not know and I expect the same. Sorry but I won’t back down on this. These things are a scourge on our privacy and if one goes near me again I’ll be defending myself against it.

Is this you?

297.png

Steve wrote: »
    I presume you reported it to either the Guards or the IAA.

Did you take a video of it? it will help your court case.

Did you identify the owner of the aircraft? did you take a photo of them? I'm assuming you at least had a capable phone with you at the time...

No because I didn’t do anything this time. If it happens again I’ll be reporting the issue - recording the people flying it and if needs be defending my space if it comes too close.

Is this you?

297.png

Totally. More Michael Douglas in Falling Down tho

I couldn’t care less what the family or the kids think. I don’t go to the park to be recorded by random strangers who are not bound by any laws of GDPR like owners of CCTV footage. I don’t record people in the park who I do not know and I expect the same. Sorry but I won’t back down on this. These things are a scourge on our privacy and if someone fly's one so close to me again I’ll be defending myself against it.

But you never know when you are recorded, I am in St Annes almost everyday and I see photographers all the time. Indeed I have often taken photos of different scenes there.
    If I inadvertently take one of you will you defend your self and put me at harm?

But you never know when you are recorded, I am in St Annes almost everyday and I see photographers all the time. Indeed I have often taken photos of different scenes there.
    If I inadvertently take one of you will you defend your self and put me at harm?

Couldn’t care if a photographer is far away as obviously there is nothing I can do about in a public place. If a photographer comes near with me with a camera in a menacing - threatening fashion just like the drone then yes I’ll be defending myself and I’m within my rights to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Couldn’t care if a photographer is far away as obviously there is nothing I can do in a public place. If a photographer comes near with me with a camera in a menacing - threatening fashion just like the drone then yes I’ll be defending myself and I’m within my rights to do so.

how was the drone flown by the mother and child menacing?

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    how was the drone flown by the mother and child menacing?

Being flown fast and wildly right over my head and near my face at times. If it hit me i I would have been seriously injured by it. I was lying down in the sun and it was purposely flown over me. I got up and left and was then followed by it and it flew very close over my head. If that’s not menacing ? If a person acted in such a way towards you and then proceeded to follow you what would you do ? If they got close to your personal space in a threatening fashion you’d defend yourself right ? So what’s the difference here ? I felt a threat and would have been within my rights to defend myself and next time if it happens again I will.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement