Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House Viewings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

dkav9 wrote: »
    usually a big fan of DMcW - but he has it wrong. renting is a balls, the rental market is not deflated.

In a slightly drunken state last Wednesday I accidentally requested to make an offer on an EA's website. They got back to me and told me the current bid was 80k above asking (300k)! I was shocked to say the least, and luckily I am not planning to buy for at least 6 months, but reading the comments on this thread I am happy to be reassured that this is a COVID thing and not a symptom of the market at large...

not sure its a covid thing ..People like mcWilliams have been calling bubble since 2017 (even do there was no easy accessibility to lending due to the Banking regulations) and scaring people from buying, yet looking at it in hindsight prices went up and down and up and down a bit no major price increases or not the propetties of a bubble since 2017. Add in people then held off thinking Brexit was going to bring property down and now its covid and yet in the midst of the worlds greatest pandemic prices are going up. Look at mortgage approval rates through the roof, look at irish saving rates through the roof..There is a lot of pent up demand out that has been building for years..Add in new builds commencement were down over 20% last year and sure the builders are yet to get out of the blocks for 2021 so supply of new housing has been hit as well. I am sure Covid was the catalyst for demand to start coming on stream as nothing like being locked down in someone else's place or a small place for the guts of a year to make you want to move to your own or to a bigger space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

McWilliams isnt too worried about anything here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb90H9exykw

But again. He will say what gets him clicks.
    In this case he was interviewer friendly because he knew what the interviewer wanted to hear and he was aware the interviewer might have a little knowledge to call him out.
    On his own podcast he leans more to what the average Joe wants to hear, even as far as scaring them.
    Its what sells. He is a social media start with access to RTE and newspapers. Thats all.

The man is entertaining, but he is not psychic.
    Don take his advice. Take it for what it is. Simple entertainment. H

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

fliball123 wrote: »
    not sure its a covid thing ..People like mcWilliams have been calling bubble since 2017 (even do there was no easy accessibility to lending due to the Banking regulations) and scaring people from buying, yet looking at it in hindsight prices went up and down and up and down a bit no major price increases or not the propetties of a bubble since 2017. Add in people then held off thinking Brexit was going to bring property down and now its covid and yet in the midst of the worlds greatest pandemic prices are going up. Look at mortgage approval rates through the roof, look at irish saving rates through the roof..There is a lot of pent up demand out that has been building for years..Add in new builds commencement were down over 20% last year and sure the builders are yet to get out of the blocks for 2021 so supply of new housing has been hit as well. I am sure Covid was the catalyst for demand to start coming on stream as nothing like being locked down in someone else's place or a small place for the guts of a year to make you want to move to your own or to a bigger space.

around a year ago many thought the covid crisis would drive down prices and were comparing it to the 2008 credit crunch crisis , however unlike that period which lasted up until draghi took over at the ECB in 2012 , there is no liquidity crisis this time

the powers that be a year ago made the decision to flood the place with money , there is no credit shortage at all unlike a decade ago so there is a lot of money looking for a home and both savings and fixed income are paying nothing , the added news lately of banks suggesting they will charge depositers only adds to the risk appetite

prices are up 15% from this time a year ago in many places in that they dipped six or seven percent for a short few months at the start of the covid arrival but bounced back as quick and continued from there to where we are now

the market is remarkably strong

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I remember being at an event in 2000 and sitting beside a very prominent banker. He told me not to dream of buying a property for a few more years, the bottom would fall out of the market in 2004/2005. Luckily I didn't pay any attention to him!!

All these so called experts are only guessing/gambling at the end of the day. Unlike in the mid noughties there's no building boom so supply continues to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I pulled out of my bidding war. Just not comfortable with the amounts involved.

Have to hope it will get a little bit better when restrictions ease, but I have no idea :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Shelga wrote: »
    I pulled out of my bidding war. Just not comfortable with the amounts involved.

Have to hope it will get a little bit better when restrictions ease, but I have no idea :(

Curious what was the asking price and the amount over it people where willing to pay, just looking myself and hope to not get into a bidding war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

cintec wrote: »
    Curious what was the asking price and the amount over it people where willing to pay, just looking myself and hope to not get into a bidding war.

Depends on where you are looking, seems in most urban areas properties are priced to attract attention.

When we looked we accepted that most would have X amount on top of asking at least so never got the hopes up with regards to asking prices near top end of budget.

Then when we did bid, its almost like a mind game - big and small increases more to scare off others, i started the bidding at many above asking and even then was blown out of the water.

Was tough going for us 120 viewings and 37 bidding wars (lost 36 haha) - think we could have got a few of the lost ones with smarter more aggressive bidding, bidding can often travel 10k in drips and draps but a 7k bid might end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

cintec wrote: »

Asking price was 250 and when I pulled out this morning the latest bid was 271. I could afford that, but for the type of place this was and the location, it seemed a huge amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

My house purchase fell through last week . Was sale agreed since December
    The difference in prices between now and before Xmas is nuts

Same houses im looking at with prices around 20/30k more

Just wait a few months more. When restrictions end it should make a big difference

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Just wait a few months more. When restrictions end it should make a big difference

Have you any evidence of that I wouldn't be too quick to give advice unless you know something the rest of us don't?

Have you any evidence of that I wouldn't be too quick to give advice unless you know something the rest of us don't?

Just going on the estate agent I was speaking to last week, small local agent. He has 14/15 properties ready to go to market when restrictions end, he said the bigger ones DNG & the like have 30/40.

Anyway, its fairly obvious that there will be more properties on the market when things open up. Unless you think no-one is ever going to sell their houses again.....

Just going on the estate agent I was speaking to last week, small local agent. He has 14/15 properties ready to go to market when restrictions end, he said the bigger ones DNG & the like have 30/40.

Anyway, its fairly obvious that there will be more properties on the market when things open up. Unless you think no-one is ever going to sell their houses again.....

And what happens to the people owning the 14/15 or 30/40 properties do they find a field and live in it?? trading up/down is a zero sum game when it comes to supply of property. The only way a +1 is added to the supply side is if someone selling is leaving the country and for the last 6 years we have had a plus figure in emigration inwards. There may be more selection but there will be a lot more competition as well

And what happens to the people owning the 14/15 or 30/40 properties do they find a field and live in it?? trading up/down is a zero sum game when it comes to supply of property. The only way a +1 is added to the supply side is if someone selling is leaving the country and for the last 6 years we have had a plus figure in emigration inwards. There may be more selection but there will be a lot more competition as well

Some won't be buying, cos they're dead.
    Some won't be buying cos they're leaving the country
    Some won't be buying in Dublin cis they're leaving the city.
    Those that will be buying will also have more choice as more properties come on the market.
    And I wouldn't rely on immigration going up this year or next

Some won't be buying, cos they're dead.
    Some won't be buying cos they're leaving the country
    Some won't be buying in Dublin cis they're leaving the city.
    Those that will be buying will also have more choice as more properties come on the market.
    And I wouldn't rely on immigration going up this year or next

Ok on your first point births have far outstripped deaths for the last 100 years in this country so if anything there is a need for more houses. You cant just look at deaths and ignore our birth rate.

On your second point we have had more people coming into the country than leaving the country for The last 6 years even during 2020 and you think even do the population is increasing we will have more supply, all of these people need somewhere to live. Also corona has hit the globe would you really take the risk of leaving Ireland when the same corona related problems will be in the country your going to and leaving possible one of the most generous welfare systems on the globe?

Dublin might go down in price but other areas in the country may go up. Working from home will impact both rural and city prices but I think that impact will not be felt until the next generation of worker is working. I could be wrong.

So you dont see immigration going up have you anything tangible that points to this. As I can see the below points as an indicator of immigration going up.

I see the previous 6 years of plus net emigration in to Ireland
    I see more high end tech and pharma jobs attracting people
    Ireland is now the only English speaking country in the EU after Brexit, further making it more attractive to people in countries like China and Brazil who want to learn English
    I also see the government cutting the refugee/asylum sectors wait period from 8 years to 4 months..

I see a sh1t load of emigration coming to Ireland once corona is gone.

Firstly, I wasn't making any kind of prediction about the economic future of the country or even about house prices in general.
    I was merely saying that the current supply issue is covid related and when restrictions are lifted, there will be more supply and the crazy bidding on houses should stop.
    As for your predictions, I hope you're right.

Would they not be better off trickling them onto the market now instead of dumping them on the market at the same time

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Would they not be better off trickling them onto the market now instead of dumping them on the market at the same time

Yeah, I was asking him do they not want to cash in on the current madness! He reckons some just want to wait till people can view them in person

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

You're ignoring first time buyers on the demand side. Supply is so low at the minute that any additional houses for sale will surely help calm the crazy bidding wars that are happening right now. Instead of 5 people bidding on 1 house you might now have 6 people bidding on 2 houses.

You're ignoring first time buyers on the demand side. Supply is so low at the minute that any additional houses for sale will surely help calm the crazy bidding wars that are happening right now. Instead of 5 people bidding on 1 house you might now have 6 people bidding on 2 houses.

You still have 4 people needing a house that isnt there. Where are the additional houses coming from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

You still have 4 people needing a house that isnt there. Where are the additional houses coming from?

Absolutely, the overall supply is still an issue either way but doesn't change the point that was made that things should improve somewhat when things open up and more houses are on the market.

Improve ≠ solve

Absolutely, the overall supply is still an issue either way but doesn't change the point that was made that things should improve somewhat when things open up and more houses are on the market.

Improve ≠ solve

What I am trying to get at is there is also a swell of demand waiting as well. I mean for the guts of a year people have not been able to view a property if they were interested in buying it. I dont know about you but I dont think I would buy something that is possibly going to be the most expensive purchase I will ever make.

Add in people have been holding off buying for years due to Covid, Brexit, and gob****e ecconimist like mcWilliams calling a bubble in 2017 when looking at it in hindsight there wasnt one. So as much as you think they will improve when supply does start flowing again, if demand is > than supply then it could actually get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    around a year ago many thought the covid crisis would drive down prices and were comparing it to the 2008 credit crunch crisis , however unlike that period which lasted up until draghi took over at the ECB in 2012 , there is no liquidity crisis this time

the powers that be a year ago made the decision to flood the place with money , there is no credit shortage at all unlike a decade ago so there is a lot of money looking for a home and both savings and fixed income are paying nothing , the added news lately of banks suggesting they will charge depositers only adds to the risk appetite

prices are up 15% from this time a year ago in many places in that they dipped six or seven percent for a short few months at the start of the covid arrival but bounced back as quick and continued from there to where we are now

the market is remarkably strong

The market may well be strong in terms of upward pressure. There has certainly been a notable increase in price over the last few months. However, it isn't at the level you mentioned there according to the CSO. Perhaps there are pockets of movement in certain locations and price levels, but it needs to be mentioned that there's probably the guts of about 400 strands of the property market in this country.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexjanuary2021/

You're talking maybe 1%-4% YoY. There's likely a lot of panic bidding at the moment too, plus we're dealing with a big unknown as to how the economy will manage in the medium term from all these lockdowns.

Bottom line is I'd be wary of trusting a market based on low volume, regardless of what it is. It could shoot up from here from all I know, but I'd recommend people take a chill pill on the hysteria.

My friend put hers on the market yesterday, via estate agent only and not advertised.
    Estate agent said they already have a filtered list of potential buyers so are going to approach them and , get this, expect bids by middle of next week. Im curious to see how it goes.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    My friend put hers on the market yesterday, via estate agent only and not advertised.
    Estate agent said they already have a filtered list of potential buyers so are going to approach them and , get this, expect bids by middle of next week. Im curious to see how it goes.

Where about is it?

Where about is it?

Its very close to Swords but out in the country a bit. Cows in the field next door.
    She has two teenagers and hasnt even told them she is moving yet. I predict murder there.

Will probably fly out the door, so to speak!

Im really curious to find out myself.
    I'll update here if anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Most definitely will . Before Xmas the houses in this estate were selling for 340

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/19-temple-view-downs-clarehall-dublin-13/4487838#&gid=1&pid=1

Current offer on this 415k

• Advertisement

Most definitely will . Before Xmas the houses in this house were selling for 340

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/19-temple-view-downs-clarehall-dublin-13/4487838#&gid=1&pid=1

Current offer on this 415k

Thats crazy. But I dont think an offer really starts to mean anything til you get to at least sale agreed stage. Then you know whats serious

Advertisement