Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running electricity from a mobile home park!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭salad17

Malcomex wrote: »
    Have you thought about gas then?

I don't believe 2011 was suggesting a moka pot for your operation

I had looked at some combi machines, someone recommended CIME, but the wattage didn't seem to come down by much.

Hmm to be honest I hadn't looked into fully gas machines. I don't know much about them but I'll check them out for sure.

If they're as good/easy to use then I would have thought more mobile coffee shops would use them but most seem to have generators or some sort of hookup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I dont see the big problem with getting it off the mobile home site.

Few 100 quid for materials, small din enclosure, meter, blue socket mounted on a little pillar in a convenient location just inside the mobile home park

If the road isnt busy and traffic is slow you caan get a rubber mat to hide the wire underneath while thee van is in use. If it was my mobile home park I wouldn't have a problem with it provided I didn't have to pay for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

Few 100 quid for materials, small din enclosure, meter, blue socket mounted on a little pillar in a convenient location just inside the mobile home park

If the road isnt busy and traffic is slow you caan get a rubber mat to hide the wire underneath while thee van is in use. If it was my mobile home park I wouldn't have a problem with it provided I didn't have to pay for it

Not really

That's why installations get their own supply.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Not that straight forward.

It will certainly cost more than "a few 100 quid", labour is required as well.
    If the road isnt busy and traffic is slow you caan get a rubber mat to hide the wire underneath while thee van is in use.

:eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I mean jenny for lights, fridge, other appliances etc etc.

Cheaper than a 12V battery alternative.

You could use a gas powered fridge. LED lights consume very little power. You could use a small generator but if it were me I wouldn't. Keep it simple would be my advice.

What "other appliances"?

• Advertisement

Gas fridges are woeful. 10X less efficient than a compressor electric, usually 10x more expensive and 10x less reliable.

I disagree that a gene is cheaper than alternatives.

From my limited experience has cookou equipment gives less trouble than electric

2011 wrote: »
    Not that straight forward.

It will certainly cost more than "a few 100 quid", labour is required as well.

:eek:

Still cheaper than Jenny + Fuel

https://www.pittman.ie/cable-protectors/cable-tidy/cable-ramp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The OP said the road is a cul-de-sac which implies that it is public.

On the other hand it may be a private road owned by the mobile home park.

If it is public laying a cable on the surface is a non starter.

Cheaper for the truck owner

Would be of little interest to the business owner supplying electricity like this

Now if the truck owner was to give a 20% stake in his business as an incentive to supply electricity , that might be a different story

• Advertisement

Yes, but unfortunately not a legal or safe long term solution.

Hmob wrote: »

Would be of little interest to the business owner supplying electricity like this

Now if the truck owner was to give a 20% stake in his business as an incentive to supply electricity , that might be a different story

If you started giving away 20% of your business for a tiny bit of power you won't stay in business for long. It will cost nothing for OP to ask. Park owner might provide for a reasonable fee and connecting the cable might be very simple after. I would chance my arm anyway before spending 1000s on fecking LPG coffee machines. We dunno exactly where this camp site is and how long the cable needs to be or how busy that road is. We'll be only going around in circles

Yes, but unfortunately not a legal or safe long term solution.

If its the camp site I'm thinking of you'd be grand with that setup but every place is different

Let the trucker get a quote from ESBN for a connection

Show that to the park owner and pay that amount to the park owner for his connection

Trucker gets a REC out and gets his installation ready then for connection to the park

He'll soon start losing interest in connecting to the park

***Assuming a supply can be ran which seems unlikely

Sorry for the lack of reply, I didn't see the notifications!

Yes, this is what I was assuming/hoping for at the start, but had pretty much resigned to generator after this thread! It's definitely worth asking though, so I'll check it out with the trailer park owner.

You could use a gas powered fridge. LED lights consume very little power. You could use a small generator but if it were me I wouldn't. Keep it simple would be my advice.

What "other appliances"?

So it would be the coffee machine (looking at 3000W duel fuel) the grinder (250watts), baby burco boiler, water pump, and either fridge or cooler.

Gas fridges are woeful. 10X less efficient than a compressor electric, usually 10x more expensive and 10x less reliable.

I disagree that a gene is cheaper than alternatives.

So if gas is woeful, genny isn't cheaper, then what alternative do you suggest?

Or am I misreading that and you're saying the genny IS cheaper?

elperello wrote: »
    The OP said the road is a cul-de-sac which implies that it is public.

On the other hand it may be a private road owned by the mobile home park.

If it is public laying a cable on the surface is a non starter.

It is a public cul de sac down to a small public beach carpark.

Hmob wrote: »

If it were me, I would definitely be willing to help out other small business owners like this, even if there wasn't a massive benefit in it for me.

But as for giving 20% of my business, not a hope! I work very hard to keep my business going by learning how to do as much as possible myself, everything from designing and building my website, doing my own accounting, marketing, admin, building the coffee station, welding and woodwork as well as teaching the activities. Along with my business partner. And we employ other instructors and will employ people to serve coffee. But we keep our business afloat by working our asses off and not paying other people to do the hard jobs for us, I'm not about to throw 20% away for an electric cable!

If you started giving away 20% of your business for a tiny bit of power you won't stay in business for long. It will cost nothing for OP to ask. Park owner might provide for a reasonable fee and connecting the cable might be very simple after. I would chance my arm anyway before spending 1000s on fecking LPG coffee machines. We dunno exactly where this camp site is and how long the cable needs to be or how busy that road is. We'll be only going around in circles

I think you're right, definitely worth asking. Road is pretty busy in the summer, but slow moving traffic. About 100metres from the truck to the central office of the campsite.
    If its the camp site I'm thinking of you'd be grand with that setup but every place is different

Which campsite are you thinking of?

salad17 wrote: »

It is a public cul de sac down to a small public beach carpark.
    I think you're right, definitely worth asking. Road is pretty busy in the summer, but slow moving traffic. About 100metres from the truck to the central office of the campsite.

Thanks for the reply.

Your post confirms that the road is public.

There is no way you will get permission to put a live cable across a public road.

The local authority will not allow it.

My advice is to forget it and concentrate on other options.

So it would be the coffee machine (looking at 3000W duel fuel)

I would opt for one that has a far smaller power requirement.
    the grinder (250watts)

Simple, bring ground coffee.
    baby burco boiler

Easy peasy, use gas to boil the water.
    water pump

This is a new requirement. I take it you do not have a mains water supply?
    Whats the story with this? In the OP you said "I run a small business from a lorry" so I took it that you had a sufficiently sized tank in the lorry that met your needs.
    either fridge or cooler

Already answered.
    So if gas is woeful, genny isn't cheaper, then what alternative do you suggest?

I didn't suggest a genny as in your first post you said "We would like to get electricity but don't want the constant noise of a generator".

Gas is not "woeful".If the gas is costing you a lot it will only be due to you selling enormous volumes of coffee which I would assume has a high margin.

It sounds like you don't want advise, you have already decided on how you want to tackle this and are just looking for people to support your suggestion.

I would opt for one that has a far smaller power requirement.

Simple, bring ground coffee.

Easy peasy, use gas to boil the water.

This is a new requirement. I take it you do not have a mains water supply?
    Whats the story with this? In the OP you said "I run a small business from a lorry" so I took it that you had a sufficiently sized tank in the lorry that met your needs.

Already answered.

I didn't suggest a genny as in your first post you said "We would like to get electricity but don't want the constant noise of a generator".

Gas is not "woeful".If the gas is costing you a lot it will only be due to you selling enormous volumes of coffee which I would assume has a high margin.

It sounds like you don't want advise, you have already decided on how you want to tackle this and are just looking for people to support your suggestion.

We were originally looking at a smaller machine at about 1800 watts so that is possible. Ground coffee will lower the quality. No mains water supply, the water pump is already fitted in the coffee station, it's just a typical camper style pump.

I didn't say it was "Woeful", I was quoting the person who said it.

You sound offended, of course I want advice, my original post was asking if running the cable would be possible and the advice I have gotten is that it is almost certainly not, which I have taken. I still think it's worth asking, as I was also advised. Some seem to think gas is the way to go, and some that it is a bad idea.

• Advertisement

Well, ya misquoted me!
    Absorption gas fridges are woeful.
    Propane is a more efficient heat source than electric given that elecetricity is probably a gas turbine with conversion and transmission losses.

It's pretty easy to run a compressor fridge with solar power.

Which campsite are you thinking of?

Ballyheigue

elperello wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Your post confirms that the road is public.

There is no way you will get permission to put a live cable across a public road.

The local authority will not allow it.

My advice is to forget it and concentrate on other options.

Tis almost like you're hellbent on fearmongering the absolute sh1te out of it before he tries it and nothing happens.

I really don't understand boards fearmongers. What motivates them? Sitting in their armchair feeling sorry for themselves trying to drag anyone with a bit of go in them down with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Detour.

Tis almost like you're hellbent on fearmongering the absolute sh1te out of it before he tries it and nothing happens.

I really don't understand boards fearmongers. What motivates them? Sitting in their armchair feeling sorry for themselves trying to drag anyone with a bit of go in them down with them.

OP is looking for a connection without the connection costs

You'd want a stake in the business to make it worthwhile supplying electricity

What part of my advice to the OP are you disagreeing with?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

What fear mongering? It's illegal to run a live cable across a road like that. Whatever about safety the op will get reported and have to disconnect the cable and he's then stuck with no power. Op asked a simple question and the answer is also simple. Now he knows and can look into something feasible.

Well, ya misquoted me!
    Absorption gas fridges are woeful.
    Propane is a more efficient heat source than electric given that elecetricity is probably a gas turbine with conversion and transmission losses.

It's pretty easy to run a compressor fridge with solar power.

I was quoting someone else actually, but I can see it took the name out for some reason.

Well my coffee machine supplier has said the machine I'm ordering can be hooked up with gas and then would just need 300W to run the basic electronic controls. So that would be the bulk of the power taken care of

Detour. wrote: »
    OP is looking for a connection without the connection costs

You'd want a stake in the business to make it worthwhile supplying electricity

I would be happy to pay the connection costs, but because we are not a bricks and mortar building it seems, from this thread, that getting connected directly would be impossible anyway.

Ballyheigue

Nope not ballyheigue I'm afraid!

• Advertisement

I would be happy to pay the connection costs, but because we are not a bricks and mortar building it seems, from this thread, that getting connected directly would be impossible anyway.

I don't think this is correct. A caravan park need not be a bricks and mortar either yet it can have a connection.

Advertisement