Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An ode to Irish electronic producers and artists

• 12-12-2020 7:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

It seems that, the vast majority of electronic trance oriented styles come from the UK, and the Netherlands.

Apart from our somewhat dirty political history with the UK (confined to those in parliament of course), in most other areas we've historically had quite close ties.

For that reason it never fails to amaze me how Irish establishments consistently promote bogus backwater bedroom DJ's and rarely make use of our locally originating, but internationally reputable talent.

However, positive vibes - so this thread is aimed to highlight past and present Irish based electronic musical talent - most of which is based in the trance genre.

I'd like to see some deep-pussy production (a characterization I've coined referring to the more contemporary deep-house style) - but trance certainly has some reputable producers and performers hailing from our fair Atlantic Isle.

First up - the lovely 16 year old Emma Horan - hailing from Tyrone.

Seems to appear pretty consistently via Amsterdam-Trance records.

Duo with Moroccan based producer released under aforementioned record label - beautiful chilling vocal piece.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Can't say most of this is Trance focused but I knew a lad who put a load of comps together of Irish electronic musicians of all genres. You might find some bits you like here:

https://homegrowncollective.bandcamp.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

iamstop wrote: »
    Can't say most of this is Trance focused but I knew a lad who put a load of comps together of Irish electronic musicians of all genres. You might find some bits you like here:

https://homegrowncollective.bandcamp.com/

"Filthy McNasty" hmmm?

How 'bout, "Try-hard Mc-Try-hard", probably more apt, lol.

I think this beautiful remix of Amsterdam based Ben Gold's vocal piece, "Stay" - really shows Irish producers can hang with the best of them.

Remixed by "Sneijder", Portadown based.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Trance?
    Psy to Cheese covers too much ground!

Without starting another genre war

Try

Trance Wax/Ejeca
    Moduse (Irish Based)
    Ubik Events, running trance type nights

I'd be partial to banging out a few trance/prog numbers myself!
    Too many late 90's weekends at Lush is to blame for this but i'm still reaping the +10 points on the National Record of Achievement to this day!

There should be subforum rules here about spam posting....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thread cleaned and user banned for a week for spamming

• Advertisement

Better video to opening track, richly deserved.

Nice recent remix from Belfast's Ciaran McCauley.

He did some nice work with Roxanne Emery under the "Holy Waters" alias, and collaborations with none other than Ferry Corsten.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

IAMAMORON wrote: »

One of the best,

I grew up 5 minute walk from where he is based, he is very good friend of a friend of mine.

His Vinyl collection is huge.

There was a lot of talent around the area, another lad i knew that used to make ambient music the oldskool way back around 1991/1994 with a selection of keyboards, samplers and real instruments collaborated with Mek a good bit back then. He furnished me with my first few vinyl records when i was just getting into the Rave,

Crystal waters - Gypsy woman, Skin up - A Juicy red apple, LA Style - James Brown is dead

Mr Spring of Soundcrowd was not to far away either those days

^^

Damn that's awful.

Is this what Irish clubs promote?

No wonder the EDM scene here is balls.

• Advertisement

^^

Damn that's awful.

Is this what Irish clubs promote?

No wonder the EDM scene here is balls.

There is a great skill being shown in that video, reminds me of Grandmaster Flash, check this out.

Pfff, it's old school.

I'll concede they're is some "talent" in terms of scratching and cross fading etc, but no one listens to that shit anymore.

And more importantly, it's a total passion killer.

That being said, I used to tune into the online app broadcasts for NZ Flava and Mai FM on Fri/Sat night (our morning time) cause, some of their producers used to do semi EDM mixes of that hiphop/R&B type of music - and it was borderline dance club.

i.e. some of it in it's contemporary heavily mixed form, is listenable.

But not that crap from above.

But not that crap from above.

So as per thread title,

An ode to Irish electronic producers and artists.....

as long as they are the ones you think are relevant or good:)

So as per thread title,

An ode to Irish electronic producers and artists.....

as long as they are the ones you think are relevant or good:)

It was more like, "an ode to Irish electronic producers and artists.... whose productions facilitate, expedite, catalyze or otherwise encourage men and women bumping uglies via social environments".

And yeah, Colin Mc-Deejay up there, isn't making it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

It was more like, "an ode to Irish electronic producers and artists.... whose productions facilitate, expedite, catalyze or otherwise encourage men and women bumping uglies via social environments".
    You should've stated all that in your op so

Although the fact that you posted a record from a "lovely 16 year old" as an example of that is a bit worrying tbh

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Pfff, it's old school.

He specifically say it in the title of the video. (B-Boy Breaks and Samples) :rolleyes:

Slightly lesser known producer, but has releases under FSOE and Blackhole, so he must be decent.

And I'm a sucker for understated female vocal samples/moans etc.

From "Derry".

It does appear many Irish producers are more so from the UK influenced side of Ireland.

Which would correlate with the best electronic venues hosting the most popular electronic producers, being largely in Belfast.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

IAMAMORON these are not Irish producers. If I keep getting your posts reported I'm going to ban you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

^^ In the name of my local deity, that is terrible.

I can only assume those dudes never get laid.

An actual certified Dublin dude here,

Paul Denton - remixing the very talented Craig Connolly's vocal composition, released under Blackhole records, a good feather in the cap of local EDM.

See this right here, it gets chicks hot and bothered, nerves firing, blood pumping, electricity in the air.

It's the only type of EDM I personally am interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It's the only type of EDM I personally am interested in.

Why bother post on an internet forum so? You put down everything anyone has tried genuinely to contribute with puerile comments about sex.

Just to add, EDM is utter sh!te icon14.png

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Just to add, EDM is utter sh!te icon14.png

This is an EDM forum?

Doesn't it encapsulate all electronic dance music types; trance, deep house etc?

mordeith wrote: »
    Why bother post on an internet forum so? You put down everything anyone has tried genuinely to contribute with puerile comments about sex.

See in the OP I clearly outlined, "locally originating, but internationally reputable talent".

Every scene has its bedroom DJ's.

What I dislike about the Irish nightclub/disco-bar scene is, they predominate.

This thread was intended to highlight that, it's not due to lack of local talent, just either lack of will to promote it, or lack of insight as to what actual good nightclub sets should sound like.

And I've used derogatory sexual comments because the entire point of nightclubs/bars etc. is ultimately to get laid.

It should have that sexualized electricity, which those absolutely garbage tracks I've ridiculed, don't have.
    But they get promoted for God knows what reason (I suspect in many cases, cause they're acquainted with the venue owner).

See in the OP I clearly outlined, "locally originating, but internationally reputable talent".

And I've used derogatory sexual comments because the entire point of nightclubs/bars etc. is ultimately to get laid.

It should have that sexualized electricity, which those absolutely garbage tracks I've ridiculed, don't have.
    But they get promoted for God knows what reason (I suspect in many cases, cause they're acquainted with the venue owner).

Gas Chunt in fairness :D :pac: :P

I am beginning to see the funny side of it myself. Although reporting posts is as welcome as a smelly fart in the shower, for everyone.

But I must admit I am getting a giggle out of it, although the belly aches are yet to arrive in earnest.

This is an EDM forum?

Doesn't it encapsulate all electronic dance music types; trance, deep house etc?
    It does if you're clueless

EDM is a buzzword adopted by ignorant yanks about a decade ago. People who had no idea about the history of electronic music or it's different genres who wanted to just pigeonhole it all under the one name

EDM as a genre to me, and most people on here I would wager, is turgid overproduced pop music made by the likes of Avicii, Guetta etc..

Here are two tracks i created at the end of last year, never mastered them correctly so need a bit of work on that, but i settled on the sounds and arrangements the way they are, let me know what you think, Good, Bad or indifferent.......

Track one,

https://c.mail.com/@647068630927810779/HhuCuoaoQSyxtZF9jfQRJw

Track two,

https://c.mail.com/@647068630927810779/CVI6s-nERoq64Sxc2MphQw

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »
    It does if you're clueless

EDM is a buzzword adopted by ignorant yanks about a decade ago. People who had no idea about the history of electronic music or it's different genres who wanted to just pigeonhole it all under the one name

EDM as a genre to me, and most people on here I would wager, is turgid overproduced pop music made by the likes of Avicii, Guetta etc..

Ah I get you.

EDM as a genre, yeah I agree - it does suck.

Timmy Trumpet, sh1t like that - it has some appeal to some (well, many, let's face it).

It's generic but again, those who just want to hop around like the Duracell bunny on the dancefloor etc. they can't get enough of that style.

I was referring to the broad characterization for every style of electronic music.... that one would dance to, per se.

Advertisement