Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vocal Resonance - related to nervous system function, based in psychology?

• 29-11-2020 10:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Vocal tone, resonance etc.

It undergoes standard smooth muscle based innervation by way of the vagus nerve.

i.e. basic standard excitatory nerve innervation - therefore intuitively we could deduce its function will be a product of nervous system state.

I think we infer a lot from a persons tone of voice, its resonance - intuitively we can glean their feeling at the time, their mood in some capacity etc - all based on the underlying nervous system state.

I often see this differs between cultures and subcultures on occasion, kind of "denominates" character type in some sense.

I've been playing around with this recently, just to determine responses a variety of approaches elicit from a variety of character types.

What's critical to note however is that, I thoroughly do not believe we're predisposed in this capacity.

This is a product of development, "cultivation" in a sense - which again determines the indeterminate state of nervous system functionality;

All reflected in vocal resonance.

Mr Fegelian had started a thread in humanities actually, related to "nervous" conditions when public speaking.
    Again I've found vocal resonance can firmly determine potential "performance capability" in these types of settings.

And - not to mention - hit that right resonance, turns chicks on like crazy
    when I'm talking dirty in their ears....
    :rolleyes:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Historically psychology as a field/science seems to take an approach as to outward or external characterizations to influence externally.

My primary background is neurology/neuroscience, therefore just to clarify, my approach is more internal to affect internal - i.e. nerve/nervous-system function, to modify the nervous system - electrical excitability (E.M. wave states etc);

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Again I'm unsure if you're asking a question or making a statement (s)?
    Intonation definitely makes a difference as culture does too. Eg, German, Russian and Arabic etc may sound harsh to us even though the emotions conveyed may be completely at odds to how we are hearing it.

I've obviously never hit that right resonance with the chicks. Must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

And then you have tonal languages where interpreting a pitch isn't subjective but has a specific meaning. Very few "tone deaf" people and lots of people with "perfect pitch" in China because of their language being tonal

there was a study on vocal pitch.. hmm let me see..

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/pdf/10.1098/rspb.2012.0311 - Sounds like a winner: voice pitch influencesperception of leadership capacity in bothmen and women

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1090513817301770?via%3Dihub - Voice pitch predicts electability, but does not signal leadership ability

People don't take you as seriously if you have a high-pitched voice, regardless of your gender :( I feel like we should be aware of this stuff so we can say "can I really trust this person or do they just have a nice voice?" Everyone seems to think they are immune to influence but it seems no one is

And then you have tonal languages where interpreting a pitch isn't subjective but has a specific meaning. Very few "tone deaf" people and lots of people with "perfect pitch" in China because of their language being tonal

there was a study on vocal pitch.. hmm let me see..

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/pdf/10.1098/rspb.2012.0311 - Sounds like a winner: voice pitch influencesperception of leadership capacity in bothmen and women

Yeah, there was actually a piece on this scam artist who intentionally lowered her voice for those purposes.

7:50 for relevant outlay.
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1090513817301770?via%3Dihub - Voice pitch predicts electability, but does not signal leadership ability

People don't take you as seriously if you have a high-pitched voice, regardless of your gender :( I feel like we should be aware of this stuff so we can say "can I really trust this person or do they just have a nice voice?" Everyone seems to think they are immune to influence but it seems no one is

Sometimes I hear dudes intentionally try and make their voice sound deeper to come off as more masculine.

But it's like an "act", typically obvious and pathetic looking and sounding.

Point to remember is the vocal muscle folds are innervated by the CNS, thus it's that underlying nerve impulse which dictates genuine vocal tone.

Funny thing I notice is - tending toward more optimal CNS/neural function in males renders a deep assertive voice - turns chicks on like a mother****er.

Tending toward more optimized CNS/neural function in chicks, gives their voice this evident feminine quality, I guess it depends on the setting etc. sometimes I can hear a depth that's hot but other times, this almost squeaky effeminacy that clearly indicative of neural/CNS well being and positivity - not to mention being insanely hot.

The other way to look at it is, vocal muscle folds convert electromagnetic waves (nerve impulses) into mechanical sound waves.

So voice effectively being a reflection of nervous system quality/functionality/ability - indicative of character type etc - whatever else is coded in or determined by the CNS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Seek out the Bene Gesserit and learn the practice of Prana-Bindu.
    Bi-la kaifa!
    https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Voice/DE
    One of the most impressive physical accomplishments of the Bene Gesserit; the idiomatic terminology used to refer to the manipulation of speech to achieve complete control over the receiver; the production of extraperceptual auditory stimuli capable of implanting a message in an individual's unconscious, thus creating a compulsion to obey. Although Voice is founded on physical knowledge, only the Bene Gesserit were able to exploit for practical purposes the knowledge that others possessed but did not understand.

Again I'm unsure if you're asking a question or making a statement (s)?
    Intonation definitely makes a difference as culture does too. Eg, German, Russian and Arabic etc may sound harsh to us even though the emotions conveyed may be completely at odds to how we are hearing it.

I've obviously never hit that right resonance with the chicks. Must try harder.

But does culture (subculture) dictate intonation?

In some instances it would appear yes, it does.

It's like saying does culture dictate character and as you phrase it, "emotional setup/conveyance"?

Well, also yes.

Yes it does. This is wandering into linguistics, but yeah linguistics is part of psychology. E.g. rising intonation at the end of most yes/no questions (did you do it?) but not at the end of an information question (how did you do it?), that's culturally and linguistically dictated.

Then you have "up-talk" which is the same pattern of intonation but this time where you go up at the end of a statement, as if it were a question, which is absolutely cultural too, and drives some people up-talk the wall.

Yes it does. This is wandering into linguistics, but yeah linguistics is part of psychology. E.g. rising intonation at the end of most yes/no questions (did you do it?) but not at the end of an information question (how did you do it?), that's culturally and linguistically dictated.

Then you have "up-talk" which is the same pattern of intonation but this time where you go up at the end of a statement, as if it were a question, which is absolutely cultural too, and drives some people up-talk the wall.

Part of psychology?

I was under the impression, linguistics IS psychology - if psychology is a means to improve/optimize cognizance,
    Language is the basis of cognizance

Point to remember I think as to this former quote, conscious implementation of actual intonation is not really the focus.

Tone is the by product.

Nervous system function is the cause.

Now I think it's fair to say that, no one is born with optimal cognizance - and it's development is per se, a function of "cultivation" - and seems to dictate subsequent cultivation potential it would largely appear.

Cognizance would seem to dictate other peripheral psychological areas like "reaction times" etc - bu the primary denominator of ALL those things is electrical integrity of the nervous system - as that = cognizance.

This thread was just to highlight that that seems to reflect so undeniably through mechanical sound waves generated as a function of nerve based electromagnetic waves (hyper to depolarization, nerve integrity, neural "explosive capacity", per se) = hot sounding voice.

Manolis does a nice overview,

of cognizance (under topic "neural networking") 1:21:08 and cognizant implementation 1:37:49

He seems to grade the brain in layers, rationalization, cognizance, gene expression and emergent behaviour (the part that genes don't code for).

Optimized neural firing would = optimal muscular innervation = optimized sound/mechanical wave generation = optimal hot sounding voice.

Hell I might start my own phone sex hotline, just for chicks.

• Advertisement

If your threads are intended to highlight things for people you might want to work on your delivery

If your threads are intended to highlight things for people you might want to work on your delivery

They're more to ask questions and get critical minded feedback.

Do you see the title "Prof" ahead of LaptopGremlin?

Is this a university lecture?

More a.... melding of minds.

I mean it's not exactly rocket science - muscle nerve innervation dictates muscle functionality, in this case vocal muscle fold determining voice intonation/depth/resonance etc.

Nerve "resonance" -> vocal "resonance".

i.e. if someones nerves are shaky, it reflects in their voice.

Shaky nerves are a passion killer - says to chicks, "I'm incompetent".

For the simple reason that,
    - strong "nerves" is good nerve integrity =
    - good action potential propagation =
    - good electricity =
    - physical contact will stimulate their nervous system =
    - pleasure induction.

Why pleasure induction?

Cause nerve activation (electrical pulse) stimulates transmitter release,

UnfitMeanFlatfish-size_restricted.gif

....only gif I could find on it.

Basically, stimulate their nerves = pleasurable transmitter release (I pretty much speculate going on feeling that, opioid based, endorphins + cousins are implicated; dopamine for reward, serotonin for close interaction + a host of hormones as activated 2nd messengers) = makes them feel good.

Thus = shaky nerves (thus shaky voice - given nerve transduction by way of vocal muscle innervation) - poor electrical integrity = no pleasure induction = no interest.

Strong nerves (strong voice), strong/explosive action potentials = large possibility for transmitter release = large pleasure potential = strong attraction.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058120693

I gotta link the thread from humanities here cause, they're essentially different incarnations of the same question - and the answer is similar - neural firing.

It gets a little more interesting when we consider neural firing as wave propagation - and wave interaction in quantum mechanical concepts such as,

- quantum wave fields and the wave function
    - quantum entanglement
    - quantum coherence.

Where "quantum" for intents and purposes refers to wave behaviour (actually minimum wave quantity to form a particle or "photon" - but refers to wave behaviour).

Waves induce resonance = vibe;

So arguable, an authoritative tone of voice, strong/steady etc - is based in wave terms, with how we "vibe" with and around other people/groups.

Neural "bursts" represent electric propagation/action-potentials, and therefore an authoritative tone must be one which has strong AFFECT (emotional concept) in the "quantum field" (interacting wave states of those around us).

What that means is, wave based - smooth, laminar, but ultimately powerful.

Personality wise that's - easy, approachable, attractive but not weak - strong, and impactful.

Now if we visualize such a personality/disposition - intuitively we could tell they'd almost certainly have a positive vocal resonance and be competent in public speaking situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Have you considered the synthetic voice of Stephen Hawking, no nerves or shakiness there.

Is this due to the voice being a machine or, because his capacity for loquacity being limited, he chose his words well, spoke as such a learned gentleman and everybody listened?

Advertisement