Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a warm hat for winter walks

• 26-11-2020 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Am looking for a warm hat (menswear)to wear while walking in these current Irish cold temperatures. Something to cover the ears and maybe even keep a sligh5 shower at bay.

I had a gear Lowe Alpine hat that I left on a train last year and is sorely missed!!!

Any recommendations???? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

No idea if this would be your bag, but I have this hat (in black) and it's my favourite piece of outdoor clothing bar none!

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.ie/musto-waterproof-fleece-lined-cap-dark-moss-ae0080-p-13105.html?products_id=13105&source=googleshopping&lang_ovd=ie&ds_rl=1279491&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwf39BRCCARIsALXWETzmasl66gSIE1X_QFhLV61aAIBFJEQFASzvjg1bnXicdv5xbW_GVnAaAoq-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&a={3}1223

Waterproof, cosy, you can have the ear flaps up or down depending on the insulation required.

I use it for offshore sailing, and long walks at the coast, and would not be without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I'm a fan of Barts. I have three of them and find them great for rain, keeping me warm but especially for dissipating heat if I get too warm when walking. They can be a bit colourful, which you may or may not want from a cap, but I like them :)

That said, there's a lot to be said for keeping a few of the €2 plain beanies handy in the car or backpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+1 for the Lowe Alpine hat, I have an ancient one in red and it's still the go to hat for cold winter days. One of the few clothing items Lowe Alpine still make unfortunately, as they are pretty much 100% rucksacks these days otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Ussen Baltic hat is perfect for when it gets really cold and windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭josip

Can't beat a good beanie in my opinion for simplicity and stowability.
    As long as it's big enough to come down to the bridge of the nose and it has a nice close stitch, so that the wind doesn't go through it.

Our soccer club have a nice heavy weight one that I'm using this year.
    I've found some of the cheaper Thinsulate-type ones a bit too thin and not enough insulate in the past.

• Advertisement
Advertisement