Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The last Album You Listened to.

Options
  • 15-10-2020 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe someone has done a thread like this before, I dunno. But there should be one. There's a "what's the last movie you watched thread" in the film forum and a "what's the last book you read" thread in the literature forum, so let's have the equivalent for music. There's a thread for new albums in the Alternative and Indie forum, but sometimes you just wanna post about older stuff and discuss it all.

So here we are:

Anyway.

So the last thing I was listening to was Music Has The Right To Children by Boards of Canada.

I was listening to some Aphex Twin and one of BoC's songs automatically came on after the playlist finished and, yeah, BoC still and will always kick ass.

The glitches. The hypnotic beats. The ethereal loops and spooky melodies. Does anyone do it better?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

start to finish kate rusby hand me down

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Listened to the Joshua Tree in full for the first time in ages this evening. I prefer Achtung Baby but Red Hill Mining Town is a song that I'll never get tired of hearing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Being listening to ooodles of techno and house the last while. But I only have an old CD player in the bedroom and I have been listening to Morcheeba - Big Calm.

5021732401793.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

looking at my Spotify history, the last album I listened to start to finish was Nick Cave's "The Good Son" - I love his 80s and early 90s stuff, the later albums I find a bit hit and miss, but "The Good Son" is one of his best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

loyatemu wrote: »
    looking at my Spotify history, the last album I listened to start to finish was Nick Cave's "The Good Son" - I love his 80s and early 90s stuff, the later albums I find a bit hit and miss, but "The Good Son" is one of his best.

Yeah, I think any album that had Blixa on it was great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Start to finish, most recent was Substance the 2010 compilation album by Joy Division
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtSFtvXgeRk&list=PLiN-7mukU_RG2S66H04bGUamMiGUqs8Qt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

s1ippy wrote: »

Fuck Tom Brady.

Yeah, liked that album a lot. Their previous album Human Performance also had a lot going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Babylon by bus. Bob Marley.
    I do need a journey back to youth every now and again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭thebronze14

Ancient Melodies of the Future - Built to Spill...Came up randomly on my Spotify and liked what I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

The Scientist Rids the World of the Curse of the Evil Vampires - The Scientist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭dasdog

luketitz wrote: »
    The Scientist Rids the World of the Curse of the Evil Vampires - The Scientist

That's a pretty good choice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The last album I listened to was We Can't Dance by Genesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭mehico

Listened to Rust in Peace by Megadeth a few evenings ago. I found the cd while doing a bit of a clear out, still sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Fleet Foxes new one...bored me....and I like Fleet Foxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Letter to You - Bruce Springsteen's new album. Only came out on Friday. Listened to it twice already and I think it's fantastic

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Last few things I listened to:

Juju by Siouxsie and The Banshees.

Really great this one. Don't know why I had never listened to it before: it's a classic. Post-punk that threads the fine line between darkness and accessibility with aplomb. Fantastic vocals, really cool guitar work and a dynamite rhythm section. A killer album.

Sign by Autechre

I think I admire Autechre more than I love them. I've tried my best to keep up with their recent output, but, jesus, there's just so much of it. So it came as a shock to see them release a conventional ordinary straight ahead single disc album. It's, by far, the most accessible stuff they've put out recently: very ambient, even warm sounding though it could still be a bit of challenge to a lot of people; Conventional song structures are still not what you'll find here. Good music for a soundtrack if you're looking out the window of a train, or omnisciently floating over a thrashed post-industrial landscape.

Visions of Bodies Being Burned by clipping.

Some of this I really love, it's the most cohesive and impressive clipping record that I've heard. Some of the production is amazing - loads of little details and unusual touches and how they construct the beats out of noise, but can still make them oddly flow and groove: it's pretty cool stuff and when it really comes together with the flow and storytelling of Daveed Diggs it can be very satisfying. The album has a few songs though that don't fully take off and the rapping isn't always 100% engaging - it can be hit and miss. And sometimes the whole album and their shtick is so overly dark and serious that it come across as a bit try-hard and not totally sincere, but I don't know, I still like what I heard so far and I think it'll improve with further listens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen

Listening to a lot of the Boss and U2 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen

Listening to a lot of the Boss and U2 at the moment.

I'm with you. Listen to other stuff but always go back to these two. Brings back great memories of great live gigs.

The last album I listened to was Violator by Depeche Mode.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Royal Tea, the new one by Joe Bonamassa, it's decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

It's been a long time since I've listened to some Maiden stuff and I popped this on with the intention of just listening to the opening track but I ended up listening to the end, great band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

If anybody is interested in Progressive Rock or Jazz Fusion then this is a great listen. It has elements of both, veering more on the Prog side of things. Exceptional musicianship.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭thebronze14

Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have it so Much Better. Forgot how good it was

The last album I listened to was Reading, Writing and Arithmetic by The Sundays.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

All Blessed by Faithless, their first in 12 years. Excellent! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Working through Covid at a desk in my bedroom at some point I realised there was a lovely Yamaha amp and Wharfedale speakers doing nothing. I went out and got myself a CD player and decided I was going to start buying 'The Top 100 albums' to get myself listening to artists I wouldn't normally have. First on the list is Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. I'd never listened to an album of theirs.

It's a very good start to this journey.

Advertisement