Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo surf weekend in Ireland for improver?

• 08-08-2020 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I would class my surifing as "improver". I'm working on consistently catching green waves, turning, and reading the waves better.

I live in Dublin but was thinking of heading away somewhere by myself (none of my friends here are into surfing), renting a board and seeing what I can do. But I'm unsure where is best to go.

I've read you can't rent equipment and Strandhill so that's out. And though I've surfed alone at Spanish Point before I've read it can be quite dangerous... though I'm unsure if that's just refering to the actual point rather than the beach. Also, I'm pretty sure all the beaches in Clare are closed right now. And I'm really not a fan of Lahinch as a town so I'm not really up for that.

I've been to Bundoran a good bit but there always seems to be an awful lot of jellyfish and I'd be anxious about that when out alone.

Any advance?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Keel beach in Achill is a grand spot and you can rent foamies if that's what you're looking for. You would also have carrownisky within an hour's drive as another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Try Enniscrone in Mayo/Sligo it's a great beach, if you need to camp you could camp in Easkey and drive up. You can rent gear from the seventh wave surf school as well as others in the area.

Also if you are looking to meet other surfers join the East Coast Surf club they also have boards you can borrow but they night want to get to know you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Get yourself a cheap wetsuit and foamie from decathlon - save you on hiring stuff

You can do day trips to most places, so check the webcams in the morning drive over, surf and drive back

Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭openup

Thanks all. Great suggestions. I'll get in touch with the East Coast Surf Club.

Unfortunately renting gear at the beach is the best option for me as I don't have my own car and have to rent that too. Lugging a surfboard to the easirent offices on the bus is not an experience I want. Otherwise I'd love to buy my own.

Go car day trips for starters - due to covid wouldn’t take trains and buss’s unless seriously stuck.

8ft foamie with sock and your off - will fit in most cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Wouldn't recommend a Go Car for a trip from Dublin to the west. Way too expensive as there's a 50c charger per km over 50km travelled. So it would add up very quickly. Some very good deals on Hertz/Thrifty these days though. I've rented a few times in recent months for €25 per day for a Golf or similar size.

Wouldn't recommend a Go Car for a trip from Dublin to the west. Way too expensive as there's a 50c charger per km over 50km travelled. So it would add up very quickly. Some very good deals on Hertz/Thrifty these days though. I've rented a few times in recent months for €25 per day for a Golf or similar size.

Yeah I rented a car from easirent to head to Clare for a week and it worked out at less than €20 a day. And I've heard some horror stories about Go Car and the likes. Fine for a trip to Ikea but not much further.

A board might have fit but I wouldn't have been willing to chance it. You never know what you're going to get. And, like I said, getting to and from the rental place from work with a surfboard and a rucksack on public transport is not a good plan.

openup wrote: »
    Yeah I rented a car from easirent to head to Clare for a week and it worked out at less than €20 a day. And I've heard some horror stories about Go Car and the likes. Fine for a trip to Ikea but not much further.

A board might have fit but I wouldn't have been willing to chance it. You never know what you're going to get. And, like I said, getting to and from the rental place from work with a surfboard and a rucksack on public transport is not a good plan.

I got an eight foot board into a ford ka and they are tiny, you open the boot drop the front seat right back and slide it in.

I got an eight foot board into a ford ka and they are tiny, you open the boot drop the front seat right back and slide it in.

Ok. Great to know for the future I guess. But like I said I still have to get to the rental car place. I just think it makes more sense to rent gear for the time being even if it's more expensive.

openup wrote: »
    Ok. Great to know for the future I guess. But like I said I still have to get to the rental car place. I just think it makes more sense to rent gear for the time being even if it's more expensive.

rent the car drive home pick up gear do the reverse on the way back.

• Advertisement

Looks like you should seriously consider cars from here on in - gov advice is public transport only is absolutely necessary

Advertisement