Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your setup?

• 09-07-2020 5:58pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How do?

Interested to see what gear most people on here use these day. There is so many options these days so just curious what format people are using.

Vinyl
    CDJs
    Serato
    Rekordbox
    Some controller
    USBs
    something else?

I have two (over 20 yrs old) Technics 1210s and just yesterday got a Pioneer DJM900NXS mixer (love me dub echos!).
    Before that I was using a (over 20 yrs old) Technics SH-DJ1200 mixer.
    I still only spin vinyl. Been tempted to dip the toes in the Serato vinyl controller type system but so far still just vinyl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Very basic Technics SL-1200M3D turntables, Numarks mixers & DM1775 sampler.

I also have the 606, 707, 808 & 909 Roland drum machines as well as the Roland 303 & a Jupiter-8

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Very basic Technics SL-1200M3D turntables, Numarks mixers & DM1775 sampler.

I also have the 606, 707, 808 & 909 Roland drum machines as well as the Roland 303 & a Jupiter-8

Is that you Baz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

iamstop wrote: »
    Is that you Baz?
    Nope lol.

Baz from the early days Asylum & Oldskool thread

Nobody else wanna tell us what they use to slang tunes to the masses?

I'm loving my new (to me) Pioneer DJM900 NXS. Echo skratching is fun to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭francois

vinyl, technics 1210 MKII and Xone 23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Xone 96, 2 x1210s, 2 x XDJ1000mk2, Pioneer EFX 500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

vinyl, 1210s mk2 with old Gemini mixer..

actually looking to upgrade the mixer to something with a few more functions and ability to record mixes..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Thread needs pics.

beertons wrote: »
    Thread needs pics.

I concur. I'll strap on my fish-eye lens when I get home and take an updated surround sound pic to post.

See if this works:

ScqQ3Uk.jpg

Sorry, didn't get the fish eye lens out, butyou get the idea.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Spinning nothing these days :o

Must try find my 1210's, DJM 800, Soundbite xl sampler and Boss DD6!!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Alas, my collection is collecting dust for the moment until a suitable location is sorted to put it back together.

I never had 1210’s, I did own SL-1200’s years ago but they had to be sold on.

I do however still own two Belt driven Gemini turntables (With Abbey discs slip mats), and two Direct drive Gemini XL-300’s.

I have wandered into music production the last few years which requires only a laptop on small MIDI keyboard & using LMMS and FL Studio for now for production, I can see that being added to as I have studio monitors also ready to be set up.

I look forward to the day I put it all back together.

See if this works:

ScqQ3Uk.jpg

Sorry, didn't get the fish eye lens out, butyou get the idea.

Hope you have your collection insured!!! Very impressive.

Hope you have your collection insured!!! Very impressive.

Money couldn't replace the years of digging in every country I've ever visited for the last 25 years, but yeah, probably should eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

Money couldn't replace the years of digging in every country I've ever visited for the last 25 years, but yeah, probably should eh.

at least get a fire alarm and extinguisher :)

Piriz wrote: »
    at least get a fire alarm and extinguisher :)

Fire alarms are mandatory. An extinguisher is not a bad idea though.

Fire alarms are mandatory. An extinguisher is not a bad idea though.
    On that note,

There are multiple types of extinguisher,

Water
    Foam
    CO2
    Powder

Obviously you dont want water, foam will also destroy the sleeves etc.

CO2 has a freezing effect and could cause damage.

Powder is the way forward for this purpose i advise, it creates one unmerciful mess when discharged but it is really effective and wont damage the records, not great for the electrics though so your turntables could suffer.

Yeah, I was thinking powder would be the best bet alright. I don't smoke and rarely light candles or incense so the risk is quite low, but still no harm in having an extinguisher nearby.
    Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Anyone else?

Will do in mid October when I get my new place :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Yeah, I was thinking powder would be the best bet alright. I don't smoke and rarely light candles or incense so the risk is quite low, but still no harm in having an extinguisher nearby.
    Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I'd still go for the co2. If the fire is small enough to tackle with an extinguisher the chance of collateral damage from the extinguisher is small. Powder would likely damage any electronics (especially any with vents) and the clean up would be a nightmare.

Deffo something to consider.

I think if I owned the place (I'm renting) I'd look into on of these aerosol systems:

Aerosol Systems
    The most recent development in active fire protection is the introduction of aerosol fire-suppression systems. The system is set off by smoke detector rather than a heat detector used by sprinkler systems. This allows the system to extinguish a fire before it grows to the point where it does major damage. The system releases a very fine potassium-based aerosol that quickly extinguishes the fire. The fine mist will also hover in the air for an hour preventing any reignition of the flames.

This system is safe for humans and the environment. Clean-up costs are minimal, consisting only of airing the room out and some light dusting. This system was designed to protect electronics from the water damage of a sprinkler system, but it can be used to protect paper records as well.

I know their talking about business records on paper but still relevant.

http://www.archives.nysed.gov/records/mr_advisories_fire_suppression.shtml

mordeith wrote: »
    I'd still go for the co2. If the fire is small enough to tackle with an extinguisher the chance of collateral damage from the extinguisher is small. Powder would likely damage any electronics (especially any with vents) and the clean up would be a nightmare.

Powder really is the job for this potential type of textile fire,

80rjhj71o8_Extinguisher_class_and_colour.png?style=large

Deffo something to consider.

I think if I owned the place (I'm renting) I'd look into on of these aerosol systems:

Aerosol Systems
    The most recent development in active fire protection is the introduction of aerosol fire-suppression systems. The system is set off by smoke detector rather than a heat detector used by sprinkler systems. This allows the system to extinguish a fire before it grows to the point where it does major damage. The system releases a very fine potassium-based aerosol that quickly extinguishes the fire. The fine mist will also hover in the air for an hour preventing any reignition of the flames.

This system is safe for humans and the environment. Clean-up costs are minimal, consisting only of airing the room out and some light dusting. This system was designed to protect electronics from the water damage of a sprinkler system, but it can be used to protect paper records as well.

I know their talking about business records on paper but still relevant.

http://www.archives.nysed.gov/records/mr_advisories_fire_suppression.shtml

This needs no connection to a smoke alarm, the hosing thats fed around the area to be covered will breach and automatically empty the extinguisher at the closest point to the fire,

https://www.firetrace.co.uk/what-is-firetrace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Powder really is the job for this potential type of textile fire,

80rjhj71o8_Extinguisher_class_and_colour.png?style=large

I was just thinking the most likely source of the fire is probably electric.

Music room currently doubling up as a work from home office, the pink binders in 1 of the pics are a rake of 78 shellacs from my French grandfather which I'm in the process of cataloging on Discogs

francois wrote: »
    Music room currently doubling up as a work from home office, the pink binders in 1 of the pics are a rake of 78 shellacs from my French grandfather which I'm in the process of cataloging on Discogs
    Forgot to attach another

I actually have a rake load of shellac 78's myself, will get around to fully researching them sometime.

Forgot to attach another

You gotta get those decks set up man!

Also, if you're planning on digitizing the 78s (which I think you should) you're gonna need a special needle for that. 78 grooves are different enough from 33/45 grooves that you need a different needle to get them to sound the way they should.

You also need a turntable that goes at 78 :pac:

• Advertisement

You gotta get those decks set up man!

Also, if you're planning on digitizing the 78s (which I think you should) you're gonna need a special needle for that. 78 grooves are different enough from 33/45 grooves that you need a different needle to get them to sound the way they should.

You also need a turntable that goes at 78 :pac:

I am intending to, and I have the turntable, need the stylus though

Advertisement