Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notre Dame Vs Navy 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

hots wrote: »
    are there even restricted view seats in the Aviva? I can't imagine where they would be, especially at premium level?
    They're spots that temporary TV gantries or Camera get setup. Might be some Fox studio or something being setup at pitch level. Or else another high angle camera at the front of upper tier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I always feel sorry for the 4 lads that have to accompany the crane camera on the sideline at American football games. I know they’re getting paid but it must be mind numbing going up and down the sideline for the duration of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

OU812 wrote: »
    This will most likely not be a fully attended event

The ticket prices are ridiculous.
    195 euro for central lower level seats,325 euro for sideline Premium level seats and 225 euro for Premium seats behind the goal.
    Those prices are far more expensive than the NFL London game and that's a professional sport.
    The most expensive tickets there are £150.

There will be thousands of unsold tickets come August.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Interesting101

There will be thousands of unsold tickets come August.[/quote]

I'm not so sure about that.I think this 5 year plan has given US folks time to plan their once in a lifetime trip to Ireland. These teams have huge support and I think a lot will travel for this game. Assuming all travel issues are resolved by then.

Will be interesting to see the turnout.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Will be interesting to see the turnout.

Username checks out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That will be cancelled now following the Government announcement. Gutted but there was no other option.

That will be cancelled now following the Government announcement. Gutted but there was no other option.

Yeah, pity.

Unlikely to be rescheduled as college schedules are usually set a year or two out.

So looks like it's Illinois v Nebraska in 2021 to look forward to now!

EDIT - Just read on the Indo's website that "the measure does not affect sporting events" so is there still a wee bit of hope? Although RTE says it does include sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Blut2

It'd be an awful shame to cancel such a big event (financially too, for Dublin) for the sake of the approx 60 hours before 5k+ gatherings become legal again on September 1st. Would be a bit different it was scheduled to go ahead on August 2nd. Hopefully it might get an exemption.

Blut2 wrote: »
    It'd be an awful shame to cancel such a big event (financially too, for Dublin) for the sake of the approx 60 hours before 5k+ gatherings become legal again on September 1st. Would be a bit different it was scheduled to go ahead on August 2nd. Hopefully it might get an exemption.

There’s no guarantee they will be legal again on September 1st. Like everything involving this, it’s just end of August - for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

With the travel issues & now this ban, there's no way in hell this is going ahead unless they can reschedule it for later in the year as an exhibition game - highly unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah can't see this going ahead.
    Big shame, maybe we'll get two games game next year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Massive loss to the economy with most hotels and corporate events booked out for the dates.
    Aviva stadium, pubs, restaurants all suffering and it's not as if it will be held again either.

Yeah, pity.

Unlikely to be rescheduled as college schedules are usually set a year or two out.

So looks like it's Illinois v Nebraska in 2021 to look forward to now!

Wouldn't think it would have the same pull as ND v Navy though.

There’s no guarantee they will be legal again on September 1st. Like everything involving this, it’s just end of August - for now.

Yep.
    If the government had said at the start of March, this "lockdown" will continue until December 2020, most people would have not listened to them and continued as they were and would have had mass panic and bulk buying.
    What the government are doing is putting it out in small time periods to try and make sure people do adhere.
    Will be interesting to see if and when the NFL starts up in the US.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Yep.
    If the government had said at the start of March, this "lockdown" will continue until December 2020, most people would have not listened to them and continued as they were and would have had mass panic and bulk buying.
    What the government are doing is putting it out in small time periods to try and make sure people do adhere.
    Will be interesting to see if and when the NFL starts up in the US.

NFL will play in empty stadiums to keep the money coming in.

Special subscription pricing and everyone will be watching from their homes.

OU812 wrote: »
    NFL will play in empty stadiums to keep the money coming in.

Special subscription pricing and everyone will be watching from their homes.

That still leaves a lot of players/people on pitch and sidelines.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That still leaves a lot of players/people on pitch and sidelines.

I said this to my friend yesterday, the premiership is struggling to get going again behind closed doors and they have relatively small squads.The NFL have huge rosters, massive coaching staff and background staff, I can't see them being able to go ahead behind closed doors. Maybe perhaps if The Donald signs off on it.

The FT had a good piece a few days ago on the Bundesliga's plans: https://www.ft.com/content/0ecb1f37-0bef-4681-ba03-ad4a1e6ed98f

A snippet:
    Germany’s Bundesliga is set to become the first big European football competition to resume play in a move being watched closely by rival leagues plotting a route out of the sport’s coronavirus-induced financial crisis. It [is] on course to restart fixtures next month and play all remaining matches in the season by the end of June. Games will take place without spectators, however, due to the country’s ban on mass gatherings.

One other highlight they mention is that without the matches behind closed doors 1/3rd of clubs will be bankrupt shortly. Basically that broadcast revenue is much, much more important than gate receipts.

Later on it discusses that they need about 200 people in the stadium including all players, coaches, broadcast staff etc. The NFL will obviously be higher (maybe 500 total?) but I don't think they'll have any problem getting that approved come August, given the rush to reopen we're seeing already now in mid-April in the US.

Blut2 wrote: »
    The FT had a good piece a few days ago on the Bundesliga's plans: https://www.ft.com/content/0ecb1f37-0bef-4681-ba03-ad4a1e6ed98f

A snippet:

One other highlight they mention is that without the matches behind closed doors 1/3rd of clubs will be bankrupt shortly. Basically that broadcast revenue is much, much more important than gate receipts.

Later on it discusses that they need about 200 people in the stadium including all players, coaches, broadcast staff etc. The NFL will obviously be higher (maybe 500 total?) but I don't think they'll have any problem getting that approved come August, given the rush to reopen we're seeing already now in mid-April in the US.

If the NFL was in Europe it wouldn't happen but as it's America and with a president like Donald, who knows?

https://twitter.com/Darrenfrehill/status/1255391371567009794

Assuming season goes ahead though I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Ah no way. Long way off but not sure I'd feel comfortable going there. Both from the potential health impact to my family and the embarrassment of having to admit I was there (a la Cheltenham this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I'd say it's a case of it hasn't been cancelled yet rather than it is going ahead. There is talk that the London Games will be off for this year so can't see this going ahead.

They'll take it down to the wire on cancelling. As of now flights are still scheduled because the airline only has to refund if the flight is cancelled.

If they let plane loads of Americans arrive for it and put that many in a stadium then you’d have to wonder what we’re all wasting our time for at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Tickets are no longer on sale on Ticketmaster .

Further clarification here. It'll be mid-June before we get a definite decision.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/decision-on-august-s-college-football-game-in-dublin-to-be-made-in-june-1.4240905

Further clarification here. It'll be mid-June before we get a definite decision.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/decision-on-august-s-college-football-game-in-dublin-to-be-made-in-june-1.4240905

Thats a very reasonable decision to be fair. The game is 4 entire months away at present, theres no way of knowing what the situation is going to be like until a lot closer to the time.

Making a decision in June is still 2 months away from the game itself, so will give plenty of notice for people intending to travel etc.

There's a item about it on RTE Radio 1 after 4.30 on drivetime today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Likely a game of chicken on who will cancel first. Like everything, I'm sure there are contract stipulations on who takes on the burden based on the decision maker.

There is a high likelihood that the college season will be cancelled (higher than NFL) so it won't matter from an Irish regulation perspective.

• Advertisement

There's a item about it on RTE Radio 1 after 4.30 on drivetime today.

Started 5.37pm if anybody is listening on RTE player.

Advertisement