Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Birds of Prey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly, I'll probably torrent it or catch it whenever it's released to Netflix. Not one I'd pay to see in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Still looks awful to me ye this will be one to watch if I come across in on a streaming service i won't be going out of my way to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

That hyena is Jumanji levels dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just back. Saw it in 2D on the IMAX. No end-credits scene but there is a line but I don't *think* it's setting up another film or anything.
    This film is a hard R rating! Do not bring kids to this film unless you're cool with them seeing:
    people having their faces cut off
    in a kinda on-screen/off-screen combo.
    Felt like a real follow-on from Suicide Squad except with more of a focus on what the gangster side of Gotham is like.. with a focus on what it's like for Harley.

It was reasonably fast enough paced so I didn't lose attention. It did feel like a build up the team from scratch film.
    It really setup for the final battle well.. something about the lead-in events really built it up... then.. the final battle was like.. OK.. but maybe a bit much on the changing camera angles trick.
    The final chase was cool and Harley really popped in how she handled being on skates and fought took the car out.
    Taking out Black Mask with the grenade had a pro and a con. The con was that I felt it was a bit of an easy way out.. the pro was WOW! I didn't see that coming at all. I was like WTF! and then BOOM!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it this evening, and I really enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Saw it tonight and thought it was a bit crap tbh. Don't really see why there's love for it. Just a poor film that only really looks good when you compare to Suicide Squad.

There's gotta be some memes coming out of this film though!

Especially the Huntress bits
    "Do you know who I am?"
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Saw it today, wasn't great tbh. Bit formulaic, few laughs. First half of the film feels bloated, by the time it comes to wrap things up I was bored and it didn't really have much punch. It felt like a music video at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

seems to be a bit of an opening flop?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was bound to happen with the DC films, there had to be a flop coming, and was a big swing basing a $84 million film off lower tier characters in the comics universe. Honestly, they should have taken another go at making a Birds of Prey TV series than a chance on a mangled movie adaptation, released at the tale end of January (more or less) while mostly being a vehicle for Margot Robbie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Robbie's accent in the trailer is very off-putting I must say. It wasn't that pronounced in Suicide Squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

This film really brings out the best in people on twitter. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Saw it last week. It was perfectly fine. Yeah, it had the advantage that it couldn't have been as bad as Suicide Squad. I wasn't a big fan of Robbie as Harley in general, and this didn't fix that, but the supporting cast kind of saved it for me. A solid 6/10 movie, and a nice way to blow through 2 hours with the brain disengaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems some cinema chains are now listing the film as "Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey"

This may just be due to not being able to fit the whole title on their apps or it may be official

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

It's an official name change.

Reeks of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Typical Studio not understanding a character imo , harley quinn was never a lead character , She is a fantastic character but like loads of other (male too) characters don't work outside of there normal confines

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Seems some cinema chains are now listing the film as "Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey"

This may just be due to not being able to fit the whole title on their apps or it may be official

It's a good idea cos that's pretty much a better description of the film.

I've seen talk of a Gotham City Sirens film being and given the characters involved (Harley, Poison Ivy and Catwoman), I'd definitely prefer for it not to become another Harley film.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ign reported it's not an official title change and just to benefit apps. Basically "Harley Quinn" and "Birds of Prey" are the main search terms.

Haven't seen the film yet. Seems to be getting better reviews than expected.
    I'm sure they'll blame the poor box office on the age rating

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

Just out of it. It was grand. Like one of the posters already mentioned the first half is over bloated and by the time the action kicks off I was bored.

There were some funny bits but few and far between. It does feel like a music video at times and it nearly crossed a line into Moulin Rouge territory with Black Mask and Harley at one point.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Ign reported it's not an official title change and just to benefit apps. Basically "Harley Quinn" and "Birds of Prey" are the main search terms.

Haven't seen the film yet. Seems to be getting better reviews than expected.
    I'm sure they'll blame the poor box office on the age rating

It's getting solid 6 out of 10 from what I can see.
    It feels like a Harley story and an intro to the BOP.
    Could be they are just trying to set a foundation.
    There again it's WB so .. who knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Saw it last night and I really enjoyed it. Thought it was going to be a meh movie going in but glad to see it was not. Magot Robbie is class as Harley Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A very average film that had a few giggles, Robbie is fine as Quinn mostly and the rest were badly cast with the exception of Canary for me.

Black Mask /McGregor really wasn't strong enough or used right to be the villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Did not enjoy this one bit ,

Found the story all over the place and the cast pretty much let it down ,
    Robbie seems to force Harley Quinn this time around unlike in suicide squad where she stole the show ,

This likely will kill off any further adventures for ms Quinn in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Hilarious review here.... Spoilers everywhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

This is an awful lot better than it should be. The action scenes were fun and I enjoyed Ewan McGregor as the villain.

To poke a snowflakey hole, I wasn't a fan of some of the things they glamourised: binge drinking, littering and how a sniff of cocaine gave her super powers. Also not one man in the movie had any redeeming qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Could it be any worse than Suicide Squad? A film that I blushed at a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Harley Quinn the character is basically a rubbish Tank Girl rip off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Couldn't get through that...

Anyway, I enjoyed the film. I see some table for 1 men getting catty at what they see as a female centric movie that excludes them. It's quite hilarious with all the male centric action films where the women are side lined or written terribly they don't bat an eye but the moment you have one action chick flick the toys are out of the pram.

Literally every single superhero movie this year is female-led (Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman 1984, Black Widow, Eternals) and female-directed. Women can also make crap, and be called out for it.

Advertisement