Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing a caravan

• 05-09-2017 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all,

A quick question. I'm going to the UK on Friday to get a 2 year old 5 berth caravan.

I'm just wondering when I arrive into Dublin Port will customs or revenue be looking for money off me etc? Basically is there like VRT or Vat or any duty on importing a UK caravan?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Basically, no. There is no duty, VRT or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Don't forget to bring your number plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mtierney5

oinkely wrote: »
    Don't forget to bring your number plate!

Thanks folks! The caravan has a 13 pin socket. My car has a 7 pin..... Is there an adaptor available etc?

mtierney5 wrote: »
    Thanks folks! The caravan has a 13 pin socket. My car has a 7 pin..... Is there an adaptor available etc?

Very widely available. Any trailer/caravan parts dealer should have them. Halfords and some motor factors too.

Chiorino wrote: »
    Very widely available. Any trailer/caravan parts dealer should have them. Halfords and some motor factors too.

Halfirds it is! Just simple plug and play ya?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Hi all,

A quick question. I'm going to the UK on Friday to get a 2 year old 5 berth caravan.

I'm just wondering when I arrive into Dublin Port will customs or revenue be looking for money off me etc? Basically is there like VRT or Vat or any duty on importing a UK caravan?

Cheers

Did it a fews weeks ago. Check cris. Bring no plate.

Halfirds it is! Just simple plug and play ya?

Exactly, just goes straight onto the end of the 13 pin plug.

gally74 wrote: »
    Did it a fews weeks ago. Check cris. Bring no plate.

Sound, have the cris check done. All good. He has mirrors for me and have a number plate too.

Anything else i should be aware of? For the boat or driving etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Do you mind me asking how you sourced the caravan?

I'm looking at the moment and find it difficult to find a good selection of used caravans in the UK through google searches - any recommendations on where to look?

No problem.

I started looking back about 3 months ago and what I was after was something around a 2010 model in a 5 berth with a budget of €10,000. I visited 5 places in the south. Tim Buckley caravans in Charleville, Newbridge Caravans, Curragh Caravans, Leinster Caravans and John Grey caravans in Dublin. This is just my opinion, but I couldn't wait to get out of all of them. Newbridge Caravans was the best of them but still, none of them sat right with me. Any van I showed interest in was the best van they had and on sale that day!! I certainly wouldn't like to be going back to any of them with a problem!

After that I was a bit disheartened to be honest, Thrawled through Donedeal, ebay etc but couldn't find one that was spotless, had the cris papers etc.

Eventually I sat down with my wife and decided to up our budget and see what we could get. I came across a 2015 Lunar Quaser 525 on ebay uk. I got in contact with the guy selling it. They bought it brand new, sent me a copy of the invoice and cris document. Used it for 4 week long holidays in the 2 years. Sent me really good high res pictures and the caravan is like new! Comes with motor movers, full awning and all the accessories that came with it, aqua rolls etc. it even has a solar panel! So done the deal and going to collect it on Friday, pending inspection of course. Done the cris check, all perfect. With the extras he paid on the invoice £18,500 sterling for it in June 2015 brand new. I got it for £12,500 sterling. About €14,000 euro. The 2010 ones I was looking at here were all up on €10,000. So for the extra 4k I'm getting up 5 years and an almost new van.

Fingers crossed they will be many happy holidays to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

No problem.

I started looking back about 3 months ago and what I was after was something around a 2010 model in a 5 berth with a budget of €10,000. I visited 5 places in the south. Tim Buckley caravans in Charleville, Newbridge Caravans, Curragh Caravans, Leinster Caravans and John Grey caravans in Dublin. This is just my opinion, but I couldn't wait to get out of all of them. Newbridge Caravans was the best of them but still, none of them sat right with me. Any van I showed interest in was the best van they had and on sale that day!! I certainly wouldn't like to be going back to any of them with a problem!

After that I was a bit disheartened to be honest, Thrawled through Donedeal, ebay etc but couldn't find one that was spotless, had the cris papers etc.

Eventually I sat down with my wife and decided to up our budget and see what we could get. I came across a 2015 Lunar Quaser 525 on ebay uk. I got in contact with the guy selling it. They bought it brand new, sent me a copy of the invoice and cris document. Used it for 4 week long holidays in the 2 years. Sent me really good high res pictures and the caravan is like new! Comes with motor movers, full awning and all the accessories that came with it, aqua rolls etc. it even has a solar panel! So done the deal and going to collect it on Friday, pending inspection of course. Done the cris check, all perfect. With the extras he paid on the invoice £18,500 sterling for it in June 2015 brand new. I got it for £12,500 sterling. About €14,000 euro. The 2010 ones I was looking at here were all up on €10,000. So for the extra 4k I'm getting up 5 years and an almost new van.

Well done. Sounds good deal. Don't forget to insure it straight away.

Another job! agggghhhh..... :):):)

Another job! agggghhhh..... :):):)

And there she is! As described. Absolutely immaculate in every way.

So happy!

And there she is! As described. Absolutely immaculate in every way.

So happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Well wear. We went to UK, bought from a dealer, very happy (& that was years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maj07

No problem.

Thanks for all the info. We are thinking of doing the same thing. Can you tell me how you paid for the caravan? Was it bank transfer on the same day or sterling bank draft. Was there any delay?Did you get anyone to check the caravan for you beforehand or did you go with your own instinct?

Maj07 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info. We are thinking of doing the same thing. Can you tell me how you paid for the caravan? Was it bank transfer on the same day or sterling bank draft. Was there any delay?Did you get anyone to check the caravan for you beforehand or did you go with your own instinct?

I brought cash believe it or not! I ordered it from the post office in advance. When i arrived and i had checked over the van i handed over the cash. His wife went to the bank to lodge it while he was showing me all the controls and getting it hitched up. By the time we were done she had the money lodged. Went perfect. I couldn't do a bank transfer when there cos it was to the UK and would take 24hrs to show up. Couldn't do a bank draft either as it would take 3 days to clear in his account. Again because it was from Ireland. So cash was best!

In relation to checking it over i done a load of research before travelling of what to check for and where to look. Even stuff that was specific to the caravan i was looking at. For example google told me some of them crack at the front where the front opening is. Near the hinges. If you google for problems others have found with the name of the van your looking at you'll find plenty of tips of what to watch for. Of course damp is the biggest thing. Id recommend bringing a damp meter. Again google where to check. Loads on YouTube etc of how to do it.

We found ours on eBay UK. Lovely vans on there. And you will save money, no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 salnado

Have a look at Transferwise.com. You can put the money in their system in advance. On the day (or beforehand) you can convert to sterling and then do a transfer to the UK bank account of the seller. I did it recently for a caravan and saved about €300 vs getting a draft. I did the transfer once we had seen the caravan and it took about 15 minutes to appear in the sellers account...and that was on a Saturday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Moranscub

Hey all, some very useful information here. Thinking of getting a caravan in UK. Any info on things to look out for and to keep all good with bringing it into Ireland. What models would he recommend and what ones ye would advice to stay away from. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

Hi all,

Cheers

I don't know much about other models but we bought a 2015 lunar quasar 525. We absolutely love it. Had a full service done on it last month and it was perfect. I found ebay uk very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 salnado

Moranscub wrote: »
    Hey all, some very useful information here. Thinking of getting a caravan in UK. Any info on things to look out for and to keep all good with bringing it into Ireland. What models would he recommend and what ones ye would advice to stay away from. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

Moranscub,
    For about £250 you can get any caravan inspected by an engineer from the MCEA. Have a look on the caravan club's website for the details. They do a detailed inspection and give a report. We found it useful given we couldn't get to see the caravan in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

something my wife and I are contemplating...

However is this going to become more difficult after Brexit? Or will it be the same?

Go over with no caravan! Come back with one!

lawred2 wrote: »
    something my wife and I are contemplating...

However is this going to become more difficult after Brexit? Or will it be the same?

Go over with no caravan! Come back with one!

At the minute there is no vrt or tax etc on a caravan.... It's just a piece of property. Not a vehicle. I can't see that changing after brexit. It may be hard to believe but what shocked me when I went to get ours was I left Ireland with a van, no one person even asked for 🆔 or a passport and I returned 10 hours later with a £12,000 caravan on tow and again, not one person even asked who I was. It shocked me to be honest.... With no hard border I can't see much changing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fastford

I wonder how things stand with bringing in a caravan from UK to ROI today? Is it subject to duty? Anybody purchased one this way since Jan 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

fastford wrote: »
    I wonder how things stand with bringing in a caravan from UK to ROI today? Is it subject to duty? Anybody purchased one this way since Jan 1st?

If it’s attached to the back of your car, would they know the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fastford

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If it’s attached to the back of your car, would they know the difference?

This is my thinking too, but knowing my luck....

Let's say you were to "declare" it...(in other words I get caught)... would there be customs duty on such a thing? It's a swift...built in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

fastford wrote: »
    This is my thinking too, but knowing my luck....

Let's say you were to "declare" it...(in other words I get caught)... would there be customs duty on such a thing? It's a swift...built in Britain.

If its British built there will be no customs duty but there will be our vat to pay when importing, back to 23% next month.
    You will only pay duty if you buy a caravan in the UK that's not built in the UK and exported out from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Anyone come up with anything on this? I spotted a nice swift for sale privately in the UK, but 23% makes it expensive.

Also if I did go over do I need a covid test before I go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

clogher71 wrote: »
    Anyone come up with anything on this? I spotted a nice swift for sale privately in the UK, but 23% makes it expensive.

Also if I did go over do I need a covid test before I go?

I never gave it much thought always assumed if it was a one off private sale you would just hook it up and bring it home !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

I never gave it much thought always assumed if it was a one off private sale you would just hook it up and bring it home !

Don't think it's that simple anymore since Jan 1 , customs are now looking for 23% vat on purchase and shipping costs of a UK built caravan new or secondhand.....

Advertisement