Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WWE Network Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

That digital media guy never drank a Duff in his life!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Whatever about dx being terrible since 2006, hhh has never been funny. Not in 97 when he was feuding with slaughter, not when he invaded wcw, never. I liked dx they were bad ass but humour? Not their strong point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Well I'm impressed.

Cena - "Every fan around the world will be waiting for the clock to hit zero"

Eh no cause it's only the yanks getting it this year :rolleyes:

It does sound class though.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Cena - "Every fan around the world will be waiting for the clock to hit zero"

Eh no cause it's only the yanks getting it this year :rolleyes:

It does sound class though.
    There are some alternative ways of getting it here though (not saying how, as I believe doing so is illegal on boards.)

• Advertisement

I was hoping you might be able to get around getting it by changing the DNS on your PS/Xbox but you have to sign up for it through WWE.com so you would need a credit card I presume with an American address unless they accept paypal and you can put in a fake address.

There's ways around that,Hulu is only available with a US credit card but I watch it every night on my Xbox.I'd imagine/hope WWE Network will be the same deal.Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Just woke up, can someone give some of the important bullet points from the announcement?

Charisteas wrote: »
    Just woke up, can someone give some of the important bullet points from the announcement?
    WWE® NETWORK LAUNCHES FEBRUARY 24

STAMFORD, Conn., January 8, 2014 – WWE Network, the first-ever 24/7 streaming network, will launch live in the U.S. on Monday, February 24, featuring all 12 WWE live pay-per-view events – including WrestleMania® – valued at more than $600 per year for $9.99 per month with a 6-month commitment. WWE Network will also include groundbreaking original programming, reality shows, documentaries, classic matches and more than 1,500 hours of video on demand at launch.

Fans can subscribe to WWE Network beginning at 9 am ET on Monday, February 24 at WWE.com, and for a limited time will be offered a free one week trial. WWE Network, the first 24/7 network delivered directly to fans through over-the-top digital distribution, will be available on desktops and laptops via WWE.com. WWE Network will also be available through the WWE App on: Amazon’s Kindle Fire devices; Android devices such as Samsung Galaxy; iOS devices such as Apple iPad and iPhone; Roku streaming devices; Sony PlayStation® 3 and Sony PlayStation® 4; and Xbox 360. Availability on additional devices, including Xbox One and select Smart TVs, will follow this summer.

“Today is a historic day for WWE as we transform and reimagine how we deliver our premium live content and 24/7 programming directly to our fans around the world,” said Vince McMahon, WWE Chairman & Chief Executive Officer. “WWE Network will provide transformative growth for our company and unprecedented value for our fans.”

WWE Network will also offer fans a revolutionary second screen experience for all original programming and live events via the WWE App, similar to the interactive fan experience currently available for flagship TV programs Raw® and SmackDown®

WWE collaborated with MLB Advanced Media (MLBAM) to build a powerful solution for delivering 24/7 WWE content to fans. MLBAM will provide its industry-leading technology services, including video streaming infrastructure, application development and operational support for reliable cross-platform distribution.

MLBAM has been at the forefront of streaming technology for more than a decade, powering its own live video subscription product since 2002. Last year, MLBAM managed live video content for more than 25,000 events, covering 80,000 hours of broadcast programming, across its sports and entertainment partners.

“We applaud WWE for this bold, timely and strategic move to fully optimize the power and potential of live entertainment,” said Bob Bowman, President and CEO, MLBAM. “We are proud to work with WWE to help provide its millions of loyal fans with unencumbered access to distinctive and engaging live content across the devices they use most.”

WWE Network is scheduled to launch in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Nordics by the end of 2014/early 2015.

Programming Highlights

WWE Network will officially launch with the live Monday Night Raw Post-Show on Monday, February 24 at 11:06 pm ET, and fans will instantly have access to the most comprehensive WWE video-on-demand library upon signing up. In addition to live Raw and SmackDown pre- and post-shows every week, new programming including a live studio show and additional on-demand content will be added in the future.

At launch, WWE Network will include:

All 12 Live Pay-Per-View Events

All 12 current WWE pay-per-view events – including WrestleMania – will be available to subscribers live, as well as on demand.

Live pay-per-view 30 minute pre- and post-shows.

Original Programming

Every Monday and Friday night, WWE Network will air 30 minute pre- and post-shows for WWE’s weekly cable programs Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown.

The Monday Night War™ – a series exploring the shocking real-life stories that fueled the mid-90s rivalry between WWE and WCW®. Battling for ratings dominance, WWE’s Vince McMahon and WCW’s Ted Turner engaged in a masterful game of one-upmanship, and in the process, elevated WWE Monday Night Raw and WCW Monday Nitro™ to all-new levels of pop-culture relevance.

WrestleMania Rewind – a comprehensive look back at the most groundbreaking matches and dramatic moments in WrestleMania history, including never-before-seen footage and in-depth interviews.

WWE Countdown™ – a one hour, groundbreaking, interactive, countdown series that puts the power squarely in viewers’ hands by giving the audience the chance to discuss and rank WWE’s most spectacular Superstars, unexpected moments, best catch phrases and more through digital polling and social media interaction.

Coming in April: WWE Legends House™ – WWE’s greatest Legends reunite for a new title – only this time, they’re competing outside of the ring. Imagine a beautiful house in the suburbs – perfectly furnished, with gorgeous landscaping, a lovely pool and quiet, respectable neighbors. WWE Superstars from the past including Rowdy Roddy Piper, Tony Atlas and Hacksaw Jim Duggan will turn the neighborhood upside down as the house staff tries their best to keep these Legends on time, on speaking terms, and out of trouble in this new reality show.

WWE NXT® – WWE Superstars and Divas of tomorrow face off every week on WWE NXT, a one-hour weekly show that features the brightest and best of WWE’s rising stars. WWE NXT showcases the Superstars and Divas from WWE’s Performance Center as well as appearances from WWE Superstars and Legends in an intimate setting. WWE NXT broadcasts from the state-of-the-art Full Sail LIVE venue on the Full Sail University in campus in Orlando, Florida.

WWE Superstars® – a one-hour weekly show highlighting the best of WWE Superstars and Divas in heart-pounding matches. Features highlights from all WWE programming, as well as a special glimpse at everything going on in the WWE Universe.

Video On Demand

WWE Network will offer all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views as well as classic matches uncut and uncensored, encores of Raw, SmackDown and WWE Main Event™ totaling more than 1,500 hours of video on demand at launch.

All episodes of original programming on WWE Network will be available on demand immediately after they premiere, allowing viewers to watch on their schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Will they really have every WWE, WCW and ECW PPV ever, deadly if they do.

• Advertisement

Hogan was backstage apparently,pity they didn't bring him out.Would have been better then most of that cringy DX stuff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I wrote this up if you don't wanna read that wall of text or marketing jargon.

WWE have launched their WWE Network - here's the low-down (not to be confused with D'lo's Lo-Down):

What is the WWE Network?
    It's an *online* WWE video service. It's not on a TV station, but your PC, console, smart phone or some smart TVs.

How much is it?
    $60 for 6 months.

What do you get?
    All 12 WWE PPVs (including WrestleMania)
    Live & streamed original programming (Discussion shows and video packages eg Legends House)
    You will get NXT and Superstars.
    Streaming Video on Demand a la carte like Netflix (eg WCW, ECW PPVs)

What don't you get?
    You won't get RAW, SmackDown or Main Event "live", they're still on their respective channels (USA Network, SyFy & ION)
    But you WILL get their repeat showings (sometime later in the week).

When does it go online?
    Monday February 24th/9am (6.5 weeks from now)

Who can get it?
    Initially, only USA. In 8-12 months, UK, Canada, Australia, NZ, Singapore, Hong Kong & the Nordics.

What of editing?
    Not all content will be edited to PG - hopefully that means Attitude Era TV-MA/TV14 content will be untouched. (How much editing they actually do remains to be seen, i.e. cutting out the more lascivious angles - but expect theme songs not to be paid for - like Edge's Rob Zombie theme.)

Uncut and uncensored they said. Guessing that means anything other than rights issues will be left alone.

Streaming will be in 720p (although TV is presented in 1080i)
    Uncut and uncensored they said. Guessing that means anything other than rights issues will be left alone.

I honestly don't believe them. WWE's YouTube page cut out Paul Heyman getting bleeped at One Night Stand. I know that's a YT page (and likely responsible for PG-friendly material) I can't imagine WWE won't George Lucas their footage - I really hope I'm wrong. They change camera angles and lots of little changes of things they don't want people to see right now.

jaykhunter wrote: »

I honestly don't believe them. WWE's YouTube page cut out Paul Heyman getting bleeped at One Night Stand. I know that's a YT page (and likely responsible for PG-friendly material) I can't imagine WWE won't George Lucas their footage - I really hope I'm wrong. They change camera angles and lots of little changes of things they don't want people to see right now.

Dying to see Mae Young?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

If Raw and Smackdown can be viewed later in the week, I'm all over this. I never watch them live anyhow (joys of 9-5). Then Sky would get kicked direct to the kerb. Seems like awesome value.

I've a feeling we could get stung price wise here in Ireland though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Having all old PPVs is an amazing feature. Slight problem with the fact that it only mentions a UK launch in late 2014/early 2015. No mention of an irish launch!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Loughc wrote: »
    Having all old PPVs is an amazing feature. Slight problem with the fact that it only mentions a UK launch in late 2014/early 2015. No mention of an irish launch!

Aren't we part of the UK in American eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Aren't we part of the UK in American eyes?

I sure hope so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Decobuzz

Seriously impressive. It's a pity we're going to be waiting a year for it.
    I'm more interested in old shows from the territories rather than In Your House Fully Loaded at the likes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Apparently they timed this out a week off so to speak. If you subscribe at launch you will get Wrestlemania AND Summerslam. Instead of your subscription running out just before Summerslam.
    jaykhunter wrote: »

Can't imagine them airing some like the Vince McMahon-Trish Stratus "on your knees" thing unedited.

For sure unprotected chairshots will be taken out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Thing which impresses me most is the idea of the PPVs on demand. Live streaming isn't much good to me given the times they are on, but if they are available Netflix style....I am all over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Trying to work out how this makes sense from a business standpoint without cannibalising PPV buys, especially from hardcore fans who'd buy every show (they'd be nuts to not subscribe to the network which will surely actually cost WWE money).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Tunnel bear is 50 dollars for the year, WWE is 120 dollars.

Roughly 125 euros for the year if the VPN solution works. Fingers crossed. Works out just over 10er a month....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tunnel bear is 50 dollars for the year, WWE is 120 dollars.

Roughly 125 euros for the year if the VPN solution works. Fingers crossed. Works out just over 10er a month....

I'd be happy to fork out for that for all PPVs and delayed Raws and Smackdowns and NXTs. Hopefully you wont need an American credit card to sign up tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I assume this means they'll be having everything WWE/WCW/ECW posted by other people taken off youtube then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I assume this means they'll be having everything WWE/WCW/ECW posted by other people taken off youtube then.

I hope not, that would suck.

Charisteas wrote: »
    I hope not, that would suck.

It sure would!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Trying to work out how this makes sense from a business standpoint without cannibalising PPV buys, especially from hardcore fans who'd buy every show (they'd be nuts to not subscribe to the network which will surely actually cost WWE money).

The buy rate for the 8 PPV's in 2013 was just over 3 million at an average of $47 a show (according to the WWE website) which works out at approx. $141mil in income.

Presumably people would be more willing to pay $10 a month and get all PPV's than to pay a higher cost per individual show. Even if you only got 1.5 million people to sign up initially (which isn't a big ask considering the worldwide audience it gets) you've got $180mil pre-paid for the year sitting in your bank.

Advertisement