Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*~ Cruising (travel by Waterways) megathread ~*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

finbarrk wrote: »
    We are on MSC Preziosa next week from Barcelona. Anyone been on it yet? Wonder whats the price of beer/wine? Doesn't give that info on their website.

Hi Finbarrk

Haven't been on the Preziona but was on the sister ship the Splendida 2 years ago, had a great time.
    Drinks are city center prices €5-€6 for beer and shorts.
    You can but little books of tickets on board for soft drinks that will save you a bit.
    I know it sounds a bit cheap but we always bought soft drinks on shore each day and stuck them in our fridge in the cabin.
    Are you going Barcelona, Tunisia, Malta, SIcily, Rome, Genoa, Marsellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

maebee wrote: »
    Hi Mj,

We're doing the Baltic cruise on MSC Poesia on July 14th. Did you start from Copenhagen? If so, what's the best (cheapest) way to get to the port from the airport?

maebee

Yes, our Baltic cruise was from Copenhagen Saturday to Saturday but we stayed in a cheap hotel the night before and went to the Tivoli Gardens which I'd recommend. We got a taxi the next morning, at the entrance to the port there is a big display giving the location of each cruise ship in port so you'll have no problem finding your boat.

This is where we stayed, you can get a train from the airport to the central railway station which is within walking distance........ https://www.cabinn.com/en/hotel/cabinn-city-hotel

I see from the MSC website that your cruise is departing Copenhagen on Sunday and stopping in Kiel on Saturday - that was the stop on our second-last day also and about 1,000 Germans passengers changed over so expect the public areas to be crowded with new German passengers exploring the ship on your last night!

Can't tell you anything else that's relevant to your cruise because we went up to Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger and the Norwegian fjords and back again. Lovely ship and great food but the Italian matinee idol in a nautical uniform who poses for photos with the ladies isn't the real captain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

nudger wrote: »
    Hi Finbarrk

Haven't been on the Preziona but was on the sister ship the Splendida 2 years ago, had a great time.
    Drinks are city center prices €5-€6 for beer and shorts.
    You can but little books of tickets on board for soft drinks that will save you a bit.
    I know it sounds a bit cheap but we always bought soft drinks on shore each day and stuck them in our fridge in the cabin.
    Are you going Barcelona, Tunisia, Malta, SIcily, Rome, Genoa, Marsellas.

Thanks Nudger. I did a bit of research in the meantime decided to purchase the all inclusive drinks package. It covers draught beers, house wines, non premium liqueurs and cocktails and soft drinks. It's about €160 each for 7 days. The kids one is around €80 which includes ice cream, soft drinks, mocktails, etc.
    The itinerary is Barcelona, Marseilles, Genoa, Naples, Sicilly, Tunisia, at sea for a day and back to Barcelona. We sail on Friday. Flying in the morning from Cork.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Thanks Nudger. I did a bit of research in the meantime decided to purchase the all inclusive drinks package. It covers draught beers, house wines, non premium liqueurs and cocktails and soft drinks. It's about €160 each for 7 days. The kids one is around €80 which includes ice cream, soft drinks, mocktails, etc.
    The itinerary is Barcelona, Marseilles, Genoa, Naples, Sicilly, Tunisia, at sea for a day and back to Barcelona. We sail on Friday. Flying in the morning from Cork.

Have you been to any of ports/cities before?
    We didn't do any of the planned trips just done our own thing, worked for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭maebee

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes, our Baltic cruise was from Copenhagen Saturday to Saturday but we stayed in a cheap hotel the night before and went to the Tivoli Gardens which I'd recommend. We got a taxi the next morning, at the entrance to the port there is a big display giving the location of each cruise ship in port so you'll have no problem finding your boat.

This is where we stayed, you can get a train from the airport to the central railway station which is within walking distance........ https://www.cabinn.com/en/hotel/cabinn-city-hotel

I see from the MSC website that your cruise is departing Copenhagen on Sunday and stopping in Kiel on Saturday - that was the stop on our second-last day also and about 1,000 Germans passengers changed over so expect the public areas to be crowded with new German passengers exploring the ship on your last night!

Can't tell you anything else that's relevant to your cruise because we went up to Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger and the Norwegian fjords and back again. Lovely ship and great food but the Italian matinee idol in a nautical uniform who poses for photos with the ladies isn't the real captain!

Thanks very much mj. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Back from the weeks cruise on the MSC Preziosa at the weekend. It's a very impressive ship. Everything is new and shiny. The food is good and there is a good assortment of entertainment on board. Not too many english speaking passengers on board but that wouldn't bother us. It took most of the week to find everything on it as it's so big.
    http://www.msccruises.ie/ie_en/Ships/MSC-Preziosa.aspx

Must say I really like the MSC cruises because there are few english speakers.
    You feel like you are in another country, by the way had you an exterior cabin, for me it makes the holiday.

Yes Nudger, it was a balcony cabin at the front. One of the kids got a bit seasick for a couple of days which upset things a small bit though. The staff were very good with seasick tablets though and she was flying again after 2 days.

Sorry to hear about the kids getting sick, mine wouldn't be the best travelers but had no problems, the only tine we felt any vibrations was at dinner leaving port, and for about an hour around Corsica which was really nothing.

I think I'll go again and MSC are great, 2 adults and the 2 kids go free.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

steelboots wrote: »
    Did it 20 yrs ago as a group of 6 young single fellas and as it happens I'm hiring a cruiser in two weeks time from Banagher for a week, this time with wife and 4 kids ages 4-11. Heading north as well, and hoping to get to Carrick. Little nervous have a 6+2 cruiser (Silver Swan from Silverline Cruisers) so big craft and kids are young.

Will post a reply when I return the end of June, PM me if I forget.

Later.

Sorry for delay, but I did reply and system crashed so I lost a details post ater 20mins work :(. However.....

Day 1, Picked up boat from SilverLine, went as far as Shannon Bridge (approx 1.5 hrs). Lovely town, has kids playground. Best place is to park south of the bridge as close to toilets etc.. and good spot for fishing. There is a restaurant there but cooked on board so didn't avail. There is also a Supermacks.

Day 2, Went to Athlone stopping off in Clonmacnoise on the way. clonmacnoise well worth a visit and nice tea room (a little expensive though). Try a get the guided tour, we missed first half but the tour guide was excellent. Athlone is the firs lough gate you'll go through but there will be plenty of boats to help you out getting through. Docked on the right had side as you go up stream. Cost for night was 12 euro but there is a security gate.

Day 3, Crossed Lough Ree and went all the way to Rooskey. Lovely scenic village, good Centra for topping up on supplies. Also get your Diesel here as its €1.14 per liter (Cruiser hire places charge 1.65 per liter) We got the diesel on the way back and saved approx €70. There is a bar serving food but was only average, but good value. (No kids playground :(, good for fishing and there is a good fishing tackle shop).

Day 4, All the way to Letrim, there is a lovely place to berth north of the bridge, with nice toilet facilities. Would recommend the Barge pub/restaurant for something to eat. Great place to get water.
    Did berth in Carrick on Shannon, was there around 3pm and got the last berth, decided to move on as prefer the quaint villages.

Day 5, traveled to Lough Key forest park, great day out for the kids, excellent berthing facilities. Headed back to Letrim for the night.

Day 6, headed back down to Tarmonbarry. Lovely village, a lovely restaurant called Kennans, highly recommend.

Day 7, headed back to Shannon bridge to find the place packed so had to keep going to Bangher, was getting dark but got there in time, crosswinds made berthing difficult but managed ok.

Points to note:

- Driving a lower revs saves a lot on fuel, I got all the way to Letrim and back to Rooskey on 144 litres. I gave it full tilt the rest of the way down and it took 90 litres.
    - Plan you journey so you don't stop in the same places going up and down, stagger the trips.
    - Getting water can be difficult, as the fitting that was supplied with the boat did not suit most of the taps. Suggest you bring a funnel as the taps are generally higher that the boat.
    - Make sure you have at least one full cylinder of gas as we had two low/empty ones and the cooker/over was painfully slow.

- If you have never cruised lough Derg would be wort considering, there are lovely places like Killaloe, Dromineer, Garrykennedy etc... and there is more room for berthing.

Enjoy, and feel free to ask more questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 davesweets

Thanks a million for that.
    We were hoping to go to ballinasloe on the first nigh but follow the same route roughly as yourself. looking forward to it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RocknRollDoggy

just back from a week on the MSC Prezisoa, with my wife and two kids both 15, best holiday ever. First time on a cruise. Alot of Italians, German and French. Ship was amazing, food 10/10, the entertainment was 5/10 at best. Had a balcony cabin well worth it. would reccomend MSC Prezisoa to everyone, already looking to book for next year, cant wait

The ship indeed is amazing. I agree with you re the food also. Although some people thought the portions in the main dining room were small. Thay were fine for us anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Magf

Hi
    Booked on MSC Fantasia for next Easter and have paid for the AI drinks package. However, hearing conflicting reports that there is also a 15% service charge applied to all drinks? Is this the case, and also what is the quality of the drinks like?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Magf wrote: »
    Hi
    Booked on MSC Fantasia for next Easter and have paid for the AI drinks package. However, hearing conflicting reports that there is also a 15% service charge applied to all drinks? Is this the case, and also what is the quality of the drinks like?

Thanks!

Drinks quality was excellent, and no, you dont pay the 15% service charge when you have signed up to a package.

Hi

Thanks!

A few notes on the drinks package:- We're not long back from a Baltic cruise on MSC Poesia and had some problems with the package, even though I booked it online weeks before departure. We presented our cards for our first drink and were told we had exceeded our credit limit!! It took an hour to sort out. We should have been asked to produce our credit cards on check-in but we weren't. Many times, my vodka & sprite was just Sprite :( and hubby's whiskey & sprite was very watery. We spent our evenings in the Zebra bar and after 2 nights, we learned to go to the bar and watch them pour our drinks. Service was also very slow and our group of 6 ordered doubles every time.

The drinks package is well worth the price as MSC charge for coffee, tea & water. You don't pay the 15% when you have bought the drinks package.
    BTW, Jameson & Smirnoff are included in the basic package :) Hope this info is of some help to you.

Hi

Thanks!
    As the others have said, there is no service charge with the drinks package. You did the right thing to book it. It takes the guesswork out of how much you will owe at the end of the holiday.
    The liquor quality was fine also. Plenty top brands and loads of cocktails. Draught Heineken as far as I remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

We went on a Baltic cruise 2 years ago - Fred Olsen - The Braemer. Left Dover, through the Kiel Canal, our final destination was St Petersburg. Several stops in Baltic cities on the way over & back.

Great food, almost all English people, but hardly anyone there under the age of 60. Still, a good crowd. The only thing you should know about is the shore excursions - an absolute rip-off.

We damn near spent as much on the excursions as we did on the fare.

Indeed. It cost us €120 each for the excursion to St. Petersburg. There is no way out of this. If you don't buy the ship's excursion (with the Russian visa), you can't get off in St. Petersburg. It was a fabulous city and well worth a visit. Hermitage museum was amazing.

Poulgorm wrote: »
    We went on a Baltic cruise 2 years ago - Fred Olsen - The Braemer. Left Dover, through the Kiel Canal, our final destination was St Petersburg. Several stops in Baltic cities on the way over & back.

Great food, almost all English people, but hardly anyone there under the age of 60. Still, a good crowd. The only thing you should know about is the shore excursions - an absolute rip-off.

The MSC Mediterranean Cruise had a good mixture of people on board. From kids to OAP's. Loads of families and young couples.
    We didn't do any of the official shore excursions. We just did our own thing when on shore and it worked out fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'm looking into cruise ships at the moment. Compare and contrast and the like. Looking at a round trip from Southampton next Oct doing the Western Med with P&O on their Oriana ship. It is an adults only vessel so no kids.

hdowney wrote: »
    I'm looking into cruise ships at the moment. Compare and contrast and the like. Looking at a round trip from Southampton next Oct doing the Western Med with P&O on their Oriana ship. It is an adults only vessel so no kids.

You wouldn't expect many kids on a cruise in October anyway so I wouldn't be limiting my search based on only looking at 'no kids' cruises.

Some of the UK lines like Cunard, Fred Olsen and P&O might be a bit too homogeneous (in terms of both food and passengers) for some tastes. A travel writer for the Daily Telegraph of all papers reported a couple of years ago that a Fred Olsen cruise was 'too British' for her liking. If you want some continental cuisine and a mix of nationalities on board, I'd steer clear of the UK lines, a lot of their passengers travel on UK lines purely because they don't want to go on holidays with 'foreigners' or have to eat 'foreign' food.

We've cruised with a few different companies - RCI, Norwegian and Msc. Royal Caribbean are the best, imo.

You wouldn't expect many kids on a cruise in October anyway so I wouldn't be limiting my search based on only looking at 'no kids' cruises.

Some of the UK lines like Cunard, Fred Olsen and P&O might be a bit too homogeneous (in terms of both food and passengers) for some tastes. A travel writer for the Daily Telegraph of all papers reported a couple of years ago that a Fred Olsen cruise was 'too British' for her liking. If you want some continental cuisine and a mix of nationalities on board, I'd steer clear of the UK lines, a lot of their passengers travel on UK lines purely because they don't want to go on holidays with 'foreigners' or have to eat 'foreign' food.
    We've cruised with a few different companies - RCI, Norwegian and Msc. Royal Caribbean are the best, imo.

There is an epic looking 16 day Med cruise in Sept next year with RC that I really like the look of. I did up a complete comparison yokey between that and the P&O one and read it all out to the mammy. Telling her which ones I found plus points on RC and which on P&O. The RC one is a little dearer (works out that for the two extra days we are paying €153 per day for the two of us compared to the P&O one) but I think she is stuck on the no kids on the P&O. Like I get the impression when I am doing plus and minus points on other bits, like whats included, drinks packages etc she is not really listening cos she just doesn't want to entertain anything other than the adults only P&O ship. She says just cos there wouldn't be school age children on the RC doesn't mean there wouldn't be pre-schoolers. I am concerned about the P&O a, being a very British ship. Now I am British, but I am not one of them 'no forigners' folk by any means and I like international foods. I am also concerned that due to it being adult only that may push the median age up somewhat into fuddy duddy only territory. Now I get on great with older folks, but I don't want to be stuck on a floating tin can for two weeks with only older folks. I am REALLY leaning towards the RC cruise and working hard to convince her of same, cos I wanna lash the deposit down. Spech since if we get it down before Dec 8th we get $300 on board credit (not sure if that is per person or per stateroom, gonna email on that point)

I am concerned about the P&O a, being a very British ship. Now I am British, but I am not one of them 'no forigners' folk by any means and I like international foods. I am also concerned that due to it being adult only that may push the median age up somewhat into fuddy duddy only territory. Now I get on great with older folks, but I don't want to be stuck on a floating tin can for two weeks with only older folks. I am REALLY leaning towards the RC cruise and working hard to convince her of same, cos I wanna lash the deposit down. Spech since if we get it down before Dec 8th we get $300 on board credit (not sure if that is per person or per stateroom, gonna email on that point)

There is an earlier post (#60) above from a poster who was on a Fred Olsen cruise where he/she said that almost everyone was English and 'hardly anyone' was under 60. I think the profile of UK travellers on non-UK cruise lines is likely to be younger since like you they tend to be the more adventurous types who are prepared to muck in with different nationalities and try out different cuisines. Everything I read about those UK lines sounds like a giant floating bingo hall!

I think people who insist on going on 'no kids' cruises seem to overlook the fact that cruises in the main aren't suitable for kids because ships can't provide the range of activities that you'd get in a holiday camp. We went on an MSC cruise in July a couple of years ago and there was a small number of kids onboard but very few and they did not interfere in any way with our enjoyment. I think they all dined in the early sitting, were probably at a teenage disco while we were eating dinner at the late sitting and they were all packed off to bed by the time we hit the bar after dinner, we hardly ever saw them in the evenings when we came back from shore trips.

I 'think' I may have convinced her to go with the RC one which makes me happy. I got a call from a rep today to answer a couple queries I had and I think that made her think logically about it as an option

I 'think' I may have convinced her to go with the RC one which makes me happy. I got a call from a rep today to answer a couple queries I had and I think that made her think logically about it as an option

Try to aim for the second sitting for dinner, that means you won't have to rush to your cabin to get ready for dinner when you come back from a shore trip and if you see my post above, it also means that you'll have minimal exposure to young children in the evenings.

Try to aim for the second sitting for dinner, that means you won't have to rush to your cabin to get ready for dinner when you come back from a shore trip and if you see my post above, it also means that you'll have minimal exposure to young children in the evenings.

Good tip. On the last cruise we did with RCI we had "My Time" Dining. Very handy as you can change between early & late to suit your daytime activities :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Royal Caribbean are by far the best to go with.

Try get a balcony too it makes the trip ten times better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Good tip. On the last cruise we did with RCI we had "My Time" Dining. Very handy as you can change between early & late to suit your daytime activities :)

We had that my time dining, was on a 10 night cruise, and only used it once, thought the food in the Windjammer was superb, so ate there most of the time

Advertisement