Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*~ Cruising (travel by Waterways) megathread ~*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ladycurvy wrote: »
    ....... My question and concern is that after reading some of the reviews on cruise critic is that because MSC is an Italian company the focus is NOT on the English speaking and there are VERY few Irish & English on board (which wouldn't be the main issue for me) but the main area of concern is that some reviews say that because the majority of the passangers on board are Italian that all the announcments and the entertainment is in Italian and even the KIDDIE CLUBS are not through English - which would be a disaster for us with our 5 year old!! (One English family report that even the Movie nights in the kiddie club was in Italian too!!:eek::eek:)

Beware of reading reports from British people, they hate foreigners anyway. They probably should have gone with Cunard or Fred Olsen who provide a 'British' cruise experience and you don't have to mix with Johnny Foreigner.

I was on an MSC cruise in 2010, the passengers were about 40% German, 40% Spanish and the rest a mix, including a few British and Irish. We had absolutely no problem with language for the basic reason that the waiters who were assigned to our table in the dining room spoke English, the cruise newsletter delivered to our cabin every night was all in English and if you went to the reception desk, most of the staff spoke English.

While MSC is an Italian line, there is almost nothing specifically 'Italian' about the ships, the staff are from all over the world (every member of the staff had a badge with their name and country of origin) and the cuisine is general European. There are almost no announcements over the PA system.

Can't speak about kiddies club but I never got the impression that English-speaking people were at a disadvantage on an MSC ship and would have no hesitation going on another cruise with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

I went on the splendida in February
    Great holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

coylemj wrote: »
    Beware of reading reports from British people, they hate foreigners anyway.

The last two cruises I've been on have focused on all languages of the passengers. So the music entrainment is mostly in English, but the stage announcers talk in Spanish, Italian and English.

I speak both Spanish and English, so it's funny to see how it translates from one to another at the start, but a few days in it wears thin as a 5 minute standup piece takes 15 mins to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Reati wrote: »
    Normally it's fine, you can sometimes hit a storm and it's kinda like this:

Those days can be fun and to be honest, the ship doesn't rock very much. :)

Having come off the Explorer of the Seas 10 days ago after a 10 night cruise around the Carribbean.........Caught in a storm for 3 days...gusts of up to 135 mph, 28 feet waves....windows on ship getting smashed by the waves onboard pools closed for 6 days of the cruise, ship moved that much that you had to hold onto something to keep standing....then to top it off...missing out on Haiti because of delay caused by storm........it wasn't that much fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

efc67 wrote: »
    Having come off the Explorer of the Seas 10 days ago after a 10 night cruise around the Carribbean.........Caught in a storm for 3 days...gusts of up to 135 mph, 28 feet waves....windows on ship getting smashed by the waves onboard pools closed for 6 days of the cruise, ship moved that much that you had to hold onto something to keep standing....then to top it off...missing out on Haiti because of delay caused by storm........it wasn't that much fun :)

That wouldn't be fun - Sorry to hear your holiday was so rough. Did the crew do alot to keep you entertained?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I went on a RC one from Malaga for 7 days, it was very nice. The alcohol though, holy crap. Granted we were on honeymoon, we dropped €1100 on the tab, with only about 150 of that from the hairdressers. Found this info searching for an alcohol package, every company varies. Don't know how recent this info is either, can't find a date on it.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1470

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Reati wrote: »
    That wouldn't be fun - Sorry to hear your holiday was so rough. Did the crew do alot to keep you entertained?

Crew were great and the food was top class....had a good time apart from that.....you can now buy drinks packages on RC....beer package is $45 a day...and beer,spirits and cocktails is $55 a day, you must take the package for every day your on the cruise.....they also do a soda package....great for kids, think it was $60 for the 10 days we were on there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

just booked a cruise on msc armonia from venice in july for 549 per person interior. thats the price on website but the booking agents dont seem to realise it so took a bit of haggling. I think its a good price for the height of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ladycurvy

Blamed out..... Have you ever cruised before?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 davesweets

Hello,
    We're hiring a Cruiser in august and heading north from Banagher for a week. Can anyone recommend any good eating and drinking spots/nice places to stop along the river north of Banagher?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Killeens in Shannonbidge should be your first stop. Great pub and the perfect place to stop off for lunch before visiting the historice sites of Clonmacnoise a few minutes upriver.

Next stop is Athlone and a visit to the wonderful Sean's Bar. Said to be Ireland's oldest pub, the place has some great trad in the evenings.

Best to not leave your boat unattended in Athlone unless you tie up at the jetty just north of the bridge on the east (Leinster) side of the river, there's a supervisor there keeping an eye on things. You can walk from there to Seans and for eating in Athlone, there's two good restaurants next door to each other just across the river from Sean's - Thyme and the Olive Grove, I just checked Tripadvisor and they are ranked first and second out of 57 restaurants in Athlone. Gertie Browne's pub beside those two restaurants in Custume Place is a good place for a quiet jar, it won't be as busy or noisy as Seans.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurants-g212091-Athlone_County_Westmeath.html

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Orlock

Probably too late now, but for what its worth, I went on Honneymoon on MSC Fantasia, and there were only 3 English speaking couples on the whole ship, and we were searted together at mealtimes, it was definitely aimed for Italian market, and they seemed to be having a ball - Going RCC Liberty of the Seas this year with 4 kids in tow, and yes its very expensive

We reckon we would probably make it to Carrick, all going well. Probably 4 Nights cruising north and 3 back down. Any suggestions of places to stop/visit north of Athlone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

2 summers ago I was on MSC Fantasia. 2/3 Italians. Plenty of English but a suprising amount of Irish particularly people from Cork and Galway for some reason, few Americans and got talking to a ref groups of Swedish people too. Great trip. I got a further discount to what I mentioned in my last post form having cruised with them before.

Think cruising great. I tend not to really drink much on holidays so barely spent a penny on board. You get plenty of sunbathing with a gentle breeze to booth with a different city to explore each day. If I cant take a month off together to explore the andes or whatever then a cruise is the holiday for me.

I was on MSC Poesia in 2010 on a Baltic cruise and there was hardly any Italians on board. Based on the nationalities of the crew, you certainly couldn't say that the cruise was 'aimed' at any specific nationality. I'd just as soon spend a week or two on a ship full of continentals before loud Americans and whinging Brits any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

Did it 20 yrs ago as a group of 6 young single fellas and as it happens I'm hiring a cruiser in two weeks time from Banagher for a week, this time with wife and 4 kids ages 4-11. Heading north as well, and hoping to get to Carrick. Little nervous have a 6+2 cruiser (Silver Swan from Silverline Cruisers) so big craft and kids are young.

Will post a reply when I return the end of June, PM me if I forget.

Later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭maebee

coylemj wrote: »
    I was on MSC Poesia in 2010 on a Baltic cruise and there was hardly any Italians on board. Based on the nationalities of the crew, you certainly couldn't say that the cruise was 'aimed' at any specific nationality. I'd just as soon spend a week or two on a ship full of continentals before loud Americans and whinging Brits any day!

Hi Mj,

We're doing the Baltic cruise on MSC Poesia on July 14th. Did you start from Copenhagen? If so, what's the best (cheapest) way to get to the port from the airport?

maebee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Thoie wrote: »
    Do Norwegian include drinks, or do you pay for those separately?

We were on the Norwegian Gem last year around the Caribbean (9 night cruise) - Water was free and some 'generic' sodas etc. There was drinks packages, Soft drinks, wine and beer packages that we didn't bother with. We don't drink a lot anyway and at $500 each it meant we'd have to have 10 bottles each a day to justify it. Considering the amount of time you spend off-ship we couldn't justify it. Bottles were $5 each or a bucket of 6 for $25 so that's the way we went. Made friends with a bar-man too - very cost effective ;)
    efc67 wrote: »

I'll see you and raise you one!!
    We were on a 9 night cruise that turned into 14 due to Hurricane Sandy :D
    That was fun..got some hammering the night that the storm struck. 3 or 4 bad days but that night in particular was kinda rough!!

Carrick on Shannon seems to be a big destination for stag and hen parties these days, worth bearing in mind if you're hiring from Banagher midweek like Wednesday to Wednesday. Two of the bigger hotels are down by the river - Cryan's and the Landmark so it can get a bit noisy and rowdy on Friday and Saturday nights.

If you're hiring Saturday to Saturday then you won't have any problems as you'll only be in Carrick midweek when it's pretty quiet apart from the tourists on boats.

Before you leave Athlone or Lanesborough to Head across Lough Ree, check the Met Eireann forecast for the inland lakes. The land around Lough Ree is very flat so the lake can get a bit rough in windy weather.....

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/inland-lakes.asp

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.
    There's 6 of us travelling (3 adults & 3 Kids), wednesday to wednesday on the silver spirit from banagher. Any suggestions north of athlone?
    Thanks again.

When you're picking up the boat, ask the people in the boat hire company, they will have gotten feedback from people who have been up the river in the recent past. Ask especially what Carrick is like at weekends and if they recommend that you avoid the town on Fri/Sat nights, maybe head up to Lough Key for the weekend instead, especially if you have kids on board. You could stop off in Carrick on Sunday on the way back, it will be quiet enough on Sunday evenings when the revellers have packed up and gone home.

http://www.loughkey.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

How much is it to hire one of these during July August and outside of these times?
    Do you need any licence or training course to drive one of these?
    It seems like a nice way to do a holiday, do a bit of fishing and see some places along the way. Clonmacnoise would be lovely for a picnic, real nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We are on MSC Preziosa next week from Barcelona. Anyone been on it yet? Wonder whats the price of beer/wine? Doesn't give that info on their website.

How much is it to hire one of these during July August and outside of these times?
    Do you need any licence or training course to drive one of these?

They're all on the web, Google 'shannon boat hire'. You don't need a licence, the hire company will give you instruction and there is a map of the navigable stretches of the Shannon onboard showing all of the harbours and important navigation markers and buoys. There's one or two driving positions on each boat with a steering wheel and the throttle is a simple forward/reverse stick with neutral in the middle. The engines are restricted in terms of revs so it's not possible to go at an unsafe speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

Really Useful thread, thanks for all the great info.

Myself and the OH are getting married next May, and would never have considered a cruise for the honeymoon initially, however after talking to a number of people our opinion has changed. We are looking at Royal Carribean Cruises, however not sure what route to take yet. Any recommendations welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

budhabob wrote: »
    Really Useful thread, thanks for all the great info.

Myself and the OH are getting married next May, and would never have considered a cruise for the honeymoon initially, however after talking to a number of people our opinion has changed. We are looking at Royal Carribean Cruises, however not sure what route to take yet. Any recommendations welcomed.
    Hi. We were the same as you. As part of our honeymoon we are doing the Western Carribean cruise - leaving Port Canaveral on 21st July. Heard really good things about it. Any advice from people who have already done this re drinks packages, day trips etc.

Budhabob, I will most certainly update you when we get back. Send me a PM if I forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

appleb wrote: »
    Hi. We were the same as you. As part of our honeymoon we are doing the Western Carribean cruise - leaving Port Canaveral on 21st July. Heard really good things about it. Any advice from people who have already done this re drinks packages, day trips etc.

Budhabob, I will most certainly update you when we get back. Send me a PM if I forget!

Thanks appleb, that would be brilliant. We really only started looking at cruises in the past week, having never considered them previously. With this in mind, any feedback, advice, tips etc would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Will do! Looking for any tips too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

ronan45 wrote: »
    A chap that I know said he went on a cruise where EVERYTHING was included in the price, Alco beverages, Food. Never found that offer online thou!:rolleyes:
    You can buy a package that includes alcohol and other drinks. It's €160 each for us for next week. Thats for a 7 day cruise. On MSC it's called the 'Allegressimo package'.

Advertisement