Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish AFL players

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Jim Stynes will have a bronze statue of him on the MCG's avenue of Legends. First non-Australian born player to have the honour. Well deserved.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-21/stynes-joins-bronze-heroes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Daniel Flynn has returned to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

A pity for us AFL watchers, I was looking forward to tracking his progress this year, I reckon he may have made a senior appearance or 2 such was his progress.

Still, he has to do what feels right for him and his family, I hope everything goes well for him and Kildare get good use out of his services this year, he's a super talent regardless of the code.

Port Adelaide appear to have left the door open for his return if he wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

SSK wrote: »
    A pity for us AFL watchers, I was looking forward to tracking his progress this year, I reckon he may have made a senior appearance or 2 such was his progress.

Still, he has to do what feels right for him and his family, I hope everything goes well for him and Kildare get good use out of his services this year, he's a super talent regardless of the code.

Port Adelaide appear to have left the door open for his return if he wishes.

Yeah,
    By all accounts, he had a very difficult call to make. Goes to show how difficult it is for young Irish lads coming out to learn a completely different game. I watched Daniel closely during his debut in the pre-season nab cup game against the crows. He did really good considering (in my opinion), he had no idea a of his role most of the time! I hope he makes it back.
    One additional point. Daniel is the second high profile rookie returning to Ireland shortly after arrival. These young lads live with AFL players. Maybe there may be value in the teams organising for them to lodge with established Irish families to dilute the homesickness they may inevitably feel???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Looks like all is not lost for Sean Hurley, could be back training at Fremantle by October after the GAA season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-26/freo-eyes-irishman

• Advertisement

Daniel Flynn looks set to return to Port Adelaide. I must say Port have handled the whole situation superbly and with great compassion so hopefully it works out for all concerned.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-13/in-like-flynn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Daniel Flynn looks set to return to Port Adelaide. I must say Port have handled the whole situation superbly and with great compassion so hopefully it works out for all concerned.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-13/in-like-flynn

yeah he played with the international development side thing that was on in england, and his brother was there too. Seemed very odd at the time that he came home, and within a month or so was back trying out for the AFL project team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fiddykiddler77

Heard they are currently recording a sort of Aussie Rules version of The Underdogs, called The Recruit with the winner getting a professional contract. Padraig Lucey from Kerry is the only Irish player involved. All the best to him

Heard they are currently recording a sort of Aussie Rules version of The Underdogs, called The Recruit with the winner getting a professional contract. Padraig Lucey from Kerry is the only Irish player involved. All the best to him

Interesting, he must be living over here a while and playing some Aussie Rules. Did he play any intercounty with Kerry?

Michael Voss I think is overseeing the selection process. Not sure when it's supposed to start on TV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Interesting, he must be living over here a while and playing some Aussie Rules. Did he play any intercounty with Kerry?

Michael Voss I think is overseeing the selection process. Not sure when it's supposed to start on TV.

as far as I know he is just from Kerry and was part of the usual Tadgh Kennelly trial system and European team thing that went on, similar to most of the recent recruits. I dont think he played senior for Kerry anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭willabur

Reading some magpies forum today and it looks like Marty Clarke is going to be cut / let go. A few guys bemoaning that he hasn't been cut already. I guess the lack of outright speed and being so one footed made him too easy to be neutralised. A crying shame for gaelic fans to see one of the premier talents in the native game to be reduced to the role of a tagger in AFL. I'd imagine he would get on a roster somewhere else although I would prefer to see him back playing gaa with down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

willabur wrote: »
    Reading some magpies forum today and it looks like Marty Clarke is going to be cut / let go. A few guys bemoaning that he hasn't been cut already. I guess the lack of outright speed and being so one footed made him too easy to be neutralised. A crying shame for gaelic fans to see one of the premier talents in the native game to be reduced to the role of a tagger in AFL. I'd imagine he would get on a roster somewhere else although I would prefer to see him back playing gaa with down

I think Collingwood have been quite generous and patient with him and have certainly given him every opportunity to step up, but just don't think he is up to very top level. So many young and mature age rookies that are better footballers around, it's hard to see why Collingwood would continue to invest in him. Best of luck to him anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bullseye500

No only played u21 I think. They only travelled over about 3 weeks ago a team of European players with Padraig the only Irish player.

As Gary said the winner getting a contract.But the hope is to get spotted during the trials even if you don't win the show so big opportunity for the young fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I was standing behind Fitzy in the queue in a Grill'd in Melbourne a few weeks ago. He's presenting The Recruit. They were starting to record then and he just said it's airing later in the year. Not sure exactly when though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Few snippets of Daniel Fylnn's debut in SANFL

Flynn named on interchange bench for today's SANFL game against Sturt.

He must be training very well. Have been reading on a lot of forums and most fans were expecting him to play academy games and not stepping up the SANFL level just yet. He must be impressing.

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Flynn named on interchange bench for today's SANFL game against Sturt.

He must be training very well. Have been reading on a lot of forums and most fans were expecting him to play academy games and not stepping up the SANFL level just yet. He must be impressing.

Athletically he's on a different level to SANFL reserves so there would really be no point in him playing there. The quickest way to get him up to speed is playing proper league footy with the Port Magpies. Physically he's AFL ready so it's all about learning the nuances of the game. Can only really be done at as high a level as possible.

Athletically he's on a different level to SANFL reserves so there would really be no point in him playing there. The quickest way to get him up to speed is playing proper league footy with the Port Magpies. Physically he's AFL ready so it's all about learning the nuances of the game. Can only really be done at as high a level as possible.

Yeah fair point alright.

He has come on now and kicked a behind. I wonder if there is any way I can listen/watch this game anywhere? I'm getting updates from the SANFL web at the minute

Try here. I'm in work so not sure if it works or not

http://www.rphadelaide.org.au/sanflcoverage.htm

Try here. I'm in work so not sure if it works or not

http://www.rphadelaide.org.au/sanflcoverage.htm

So he finished the game with 20 disposals, 5 marks and 6 rebound 50s. So certainly seen a lot more of the ball than last week. Commentator reckons he is reluctant to take his chances on taking players out. Something he'll have to learn pretty quick.

A mixed review from Magpies official website. Reckoned it took him a while to get used to the pace of the game

Matthew White said Flynn ran a 150 in 15secs in his first session back from Ireland in a interview. Link below, skip to around 5.50. That is unbelievable speed

http://www.fiveaa.com.au/audio_pafc-s-matt-white-ahead-of-the-clash-with-freo_108524

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

TOMMY WALSH WILL make his return to action tomorrow for the Sydney Swans nearly 12 months after suffering a horror hamstring injury.

Walsh will line up for the Sydney Swans reserve side against UWS Giants in a game that is the warm-up for the AFL Round 8 clash between Sydney Swans and Hawthorn at ANZ Stadium.

The match caps Walsh’s comeback after a gruelling recovery from injury since tearing the hamstring off his bone last June in an AFL Round 10 clash between Sydney Swans and Essendon.

The 26 year-old, who won an All-Ireland senior medal with Kerry in 2009 before departing for Australia, has played for the Sydney Swans since October 2011. He had originally played for St Kilda.

Last month Kilkenny hurler Michael Fennelly, who spent time in Australia from last December to February on work experience with the Sydney Swans, spoke about witnessing Walsh’s efforts to recover form injury.

He described it as an ‘uphill battle’ for the Kerry native to reignite his AFL career as Walsh enters a defining year with his contract up at the end of the 2014 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What's a rebound 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Wasn't sure myself and there are plenty other terms I wouldn't know. So a quick google brought up this.

Rebound
    the act of moving the ball forward after winning it as the result of a turnover in the defensive end of the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_Australian_rules_football

It's basically just bringing the ball out of the defensive 50 metre arc by way of a kick, handball or carry. It's not a particularly relevant stat IMO as if you're playing in the backline and have a substantial number of touches then you're almost definitely going to have a few rebound 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

So he finished the game with 20 disposals, 5 marks and 6 rebound 50s. So certainly seen a lot more of the ball than last week. Commentator reckons he is reluctant to take his chances on taking players out. Something he'll have to learn pretty quick.

A mixed review from Magpies official website. Reckoned it took him a while to get used to the pace of the game

Matthew White said Flynn ran a 150 in 15secs in his first session back from Ireland in a interview. Link below, skip to around 5.50. That is unbelievable speed

http://www.fiveaa.com.au/audio_pafc-s-matt-white-ahead-of-the-clash-with-freo_108524

He is lightning quick. However, it was only his 5th ever game of footy. He is only starting to learn what to do and where to go so it is a huge learning curve and he is well ahead of schedule.
    I think he is a long term project and we will only start to see his real potential next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Can Tommy Walsh still make an impact lads? He's such a physical specimen that if he could learn the ins and outs of the game then maybe he might have a chance?

I understand that he has had some shocking injuries to overcome too but would love to see him do well.

Any word on Tommy Walsh?

Zach Tuohy & Pearce Hanley seem to be the only Irish lads playing AFL regularly

Is Clarke finished at Collingwood?

Fylnn played another full game for Magpies in SAFNL. Was reading he is living with Chad Wingard and Ollie Wines. Can only get better. Cant see him playing for Port this season though

Any word on Tommy Walsh?

Zach Tuohy & Pearce Hanley seem to be the only Irish lads playing AFL regularly

Is Clarke finished at Collingwood?

Fylnn played another full game for Magpies in SAFNL. Was reading he is living with Chad Wingard and Ollie Wines. Can only get better. Cant see him playing for Port this season though

Walsh has played two games with the Sydney reserves but is a long way behind fitness wise. Barring a huge injury curse hitting the Swans he's not going to get a look in and will probably be done at the end of the year.

Both Mooney and Clarke are playing solid footy in the VFL at the moment but Clarke is pretty much done at the end of the year as there is a huge queue of promising young players ahead of him who can't get a run in the seniors. Mooney may get another year but he'll have to be promoted to the senior list in order to be retained so it'll be touch and go. He could do with some big games in the second half of the year.

Sheehan and Byrne both had good games for the Carlton VFL side on the weekend, Sheehan was named second best on ground and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a senior look towards the end of the year if he can continue to improve game on game.

Flynn is making very good progress and should be aiming to continue learning the game and making an impact in the SANFL with a view to breaking through to the seniors next year.

Gwan Pearce Hanley ya good thing!

• Advertisement

Daniel Fylnn highlights RD 5-8 in SAFNL. Look at the run at about .59 sec He looks a scary prospect. Best of luck to ya lad. As a Dub man I'm glad your not running out for Kildare in Leinster lol

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2014-06-06/ptv-daniel-flynn-highlights-rounds-58

The most boring interview also lol. It looks like Port are trying their very best to make Fylnn settle as best as possible though and who could blame them. He lives with Wingard and man child Ollie Wines

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-06-06/whats-the-craic-with-daniel-flynn

Advertisement