Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Davis at large.

• 04-04-2011 3:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember this chat,comedy show that Derek Davis hosted in 84,85?I remember it mainly for the time he had this female wrestler on who, in a presumably staged event caught Derek in a headlock then beat up some stage crew who went to his aid.It was also memorable for introducing Jon Kenny,future Dunbelliveable who used to perform comedy skit songs.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Am i the only person who remembers it?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

I never saw it myself but it is the one TV shows that my parents always reminisce about, I must have heard them talk about it a million times at this stage! So, don't worry you're not the only one :D

I could be wrong about this but I think I remember them watching a 'look back' show about it/him a while back...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I think I remember this. I remember one of the comedy songs which was a rip off of a Kenny Rogers song - "Taking milk from each other, ah hah" accompanied by pictures of udders and milking machines. Derek Davis was definitely in there somewhere! I remember being disappointed seeing him on Live at 3 a couple of years later and he wasn't doing or saying anything funny...

There used to be these spoofs of songs that were in the charts at the time on it as well and one featured someone taking off Boy George.We were then treated to the bizzare spectale of Davis in black make up done up to look like Mr T and "Boy George "jumping into his arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I remember the name, but that's about it. Derek Davis will always be Mr "Live at 3" to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Catriona67

Yes - this was on Sundays during the late 1980's. There is where Jon Kenny started. A great line-up - Davis, Twink, Jon Kenny, Fran Dempsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Wasn't it like a kind of Live Mike successor with Dempsey and Twink from that show?

Wasn't it like a kind of Live Mike successor with Dempsey and Twink from that show?

Yes thats right.Twink used to be doing skits of female entertainers of the time,she did a pretty convincing Madonna in I think a spoof of Like A Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

She wasn't averse to blacking up either.
    I remember her doing "Gladys Day and the Pips", a Gladys Knight spoof.

She wasn't averse to blacking up either.
    I remember her doing "Gladys Day and the Pips", a Gladys Knight spoof.

Yes Derek blacked up a couple of times as The A-Teams Mr T as in the Boy George sketch.

• Advertisement

Was thinking about this again and some more skits popped into my head. Jon Kenny taking off Christy Moore and him all soaking wet mimiking the way he used to always be sweating onstage. Jon Kenny again doing a very Dunbelievables type sketch where he was a rural radio presenter who for the weather forecast gets up to look out the window then says into the microphone "Tis grand".

Another Jon Kenny sketch that I remember from the show. He was a country farmer type character sitting in a pub and singing a San nos type song bemoaning how pool tables have taken over pubs and how pubs were better in his day. Some of the lines of it went "There were badgers and dogs and men from the bogs and young fellas acting the tool (another line that I can't remember) that bloody oul game of pool". While he was singing sitting up at the bar there was a bunch of people playing pool in the background including a very attractive girl with great legs, when she was taking a shot he had a line in the song that went "they stick their asses up in the air!." I remember having a good giggle at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Not a lot of Davis At Large online.

The first series of 84-85 was more chat based from what I remember. Second series 85-86 was a mixture of chat and comedy skits and I remember it as being "brasher" than the first series. Also had a different opening sequence and theme music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

The first series of 84-85 was more chat based from what I remember. Second series 85-86 was a mixture of chat and comedy skits and I remember it as being "brasher" than the first series. Also had a different opening sequence and theme music.

I seem to recall a show where he went around eating various meals in different locations around Ireland. I thought it was Davis at large but it must have been another show

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Not a lot of Davis At Large online.

Very good. Thanks

ShyMets wrote: »
    I seem to recall a show where he went around eating various meals in different locations around Ireland. I thought it was Davis at large but it must have been another show

That might have been Out Of The Blue, boating and waterways related but think may have featured Derek sampling seafood

Advertisement