Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ballincollig Old Reservoir

• 23-03-2010 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi folks, 2 questions............. has anyone here ever fished the old reservoir in ballincollig, i believe they are biggish carp in the lake and secondly where exactly is it around ballincollig? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hey Calerbass,

The reservoir is about 4 miles South of Ballincollig in the Ballyburden Beg area. Its pretty overgrown & not really managed at all unfortunately. It was originally built as a reservoir to serve the old army barracks, but when it was no longer needed just fell into disrepair.

It used to have a good head of Carp in the 15lb+ bracket, but they introduced Bream into it some years back & there was talk of a disease coming with them that wiped out a lot of the larger carp. You'll still get a good days fishing of carp around the 8lb mark & some decent bream - some pike as well.

Its also been badly hit by poachers etc recently & just needs some tlc.

No permit needed, just a bit of determination to get into it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

Andip wrote: »
    Hey Calerbass,

The reservoir is about 4 miles South of Ballincollig in the Ballyburden Beg area. Its pretty overgrown & not really managed at all unfortunately. It was originally built as a reservoir to serve the old army barracks, but when it was no longer needed just fell into disrepair.

It used to have a good head of Carp in the 15lb+ bracket, but they introduced Bream into it some years back & there was talk of a disease coming with them that wiped out a lot of the larger carp. You'll still get a good days fishing of carp around the 8lb mark & some decent bream - some pike as well.

Its also been badly hit by poachers etc recently & just needs some tlc.

No permit needed, just a bit of determination to get into it !!

Hi there..........thanks for all the info........seems a pity that its been left go like you said........ill do a bit of scouting over next few days now......thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have fished there before. It takes effort, but there are some good fish in there.

There are some very good pike there that are not over fished and who have had a good supply of food, so sizes are good.

Have seen some carp that I would put in the low double figures there, and the bream fishing is good. Some good perch there too, and I remember there being roach there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

sounds interesting. It was mentioned here a while ago and i meant to give it a swing but never got around to it. What tactics to you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

look up www.carpfishingireland.com and look at the old posts, some of the cork lads on there will help genuine anglers, no probs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

look up www.carpfishingireland.com and look at the old posts, some of the cork lads on there will help genuine anglers, no probs

thanks. im certainly a genuine angler. just not a carp angler

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

I know that there was an electronetting survey carried out by the SWFB about ten years ago. They found all of the species mentioned already and some tench too. However it was less overgrown back then which would make things a hell of a lot easier. keep us posted on how it all goes...best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shocker95

Hi lads, I’m living near this reservoir and currently looking to do some pike fishing (I’m strictly a catch and release angler) and looking for some good sport close to home. Has anyone had any luck in fishing this reservoir throughout the years ? If so what methods did you use ?.

Thanks,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭huddlejonny

shocker95 wrote: »
    Hi lads, I’m living near this reservoir and currently looking to do some pike fishing (I’m strictly a catch and release angler) and looking for some good sport close to home. Has anyone had any luck in fishing this reservoir throughout the years ? If so what methods did you use ?.

Thanks,
    David

Many moons ago when this reservoir was a trout fishery I once saw an old fella who I think used to live in the old house by the entrance catch a huge rainbow trout with a roll of orange twine, a wine cork (float) and some fishing line attached to a hook and he used a snail as bait.

Later when there were carp introduced there were some much bigger Carp than 15lbs mentioned previously in the Lake.

I met anglers from the UK who used to come over to fish this reservoir. Back in the day they used to pitch their tents and fish weekend sessions.

If you do plan on fishing there be careful there is a big drop within 2- 3 feet of shore and it is very very deep.

Dunno what the fishing is like now but I hope this helps

Thanks very much, it’s A fantastic lake pity that it was left go so bad. I would love to of seen it Many years ago when it was taking care of. Thanks for your response and happy fishing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭realrebel

I caught a rainbow there years and years ago with sweetcorn was about 3lbs
    I thought I read somewhere that somebody have bought the land where the old house was and they don't leave anyone fish there anymore i could be wrong tho

I have read somewhere that a woman does come down every so often claiming it’s their land but I reckon it’s Just to keep people off the lake.
    I reckon the rainbow trout are long gone but it would be nice to find a pike lying around the Lily’s. Wish me luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭realrebel

I have read somewhere that a woman does come down every so often claiming it’s their land but I reckon it’s Just to keep people off the lake.
    I reckon the rainbow trout are long gone but it would be nice to find a pike lying around the Lily’s. Wish me luck !

Let us know how you get on there i never knew there were pike in there thought it was only bream tench and carp

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Decoy2

I've never heard of a single Pike, or Perch, from Ballincollig, and I've fished it a good few times and know many of the local Cork Carp anglers.
    Yes, they're used to be big Carp in there, low 20s was the best I heard of, but they were all immigrants from The Lough. I don't believe the stocking of other coarse species was to blame for the decline in Carp in this water, poaching by the usual suspects and the movement of Carp to other waters by Irish anglers were to blame, but competition from Bream & Tench did the Carp no favours in terms of growth & spawning success.

There likely are still some Carp in the water but access is all but impossible as the local residents/landowners no longer want anglers on the water. Do let us know how you get on though. As there has not yet been a reply I think it's safe to assume you haven't yet managed to wet a line?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭huddlejonny

Decoy2 wrote: »
    I've never heard of a single Pike, or Perch, from Ballincollig, and I've fished it a good few times and know many of the local Cork Carp anglers.
    Yes, they're used to be big Carp in there, low 20s was the best I heard of, but they were all immigrants from The Lough. I don't believe the stocking of other coarse species was to blame for the decline in Carp in this water, poaching by the usual suspects and the movement of Carp to other waters by Irish anglers were to blame, but competition from Bream & Tench did the Carp no favours in terms of growth & spawning success.

There likely are still some Carp in the water but access is all but impossible as the local residents/landowners no longer want anglers on the water. Do let us know how you get on though. As there has not yet been a reply I think it's safe to assume you haven't yet managed to wet a line?

Silly question but how did Carp migrate from the Lough? It's a big lake so if introduced it must have taken years for them to reproduce. Caught my first couple of rainbows in this reservoir on spinner... that was just after the lake went into disrepair and it was free to fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Decoy2

I don't know the origins of the first Carp in Ballincollig but the big Carp I'm talking about from The Lough were all moved by anglers 1) to give themselves another water to fish and 2) to 'protect' the historic stock from The Lough, not many people know this but TheLough actually had some of the original Leney strain in it [If you're not into Carp angling history that will mean nothing to you].

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Decoy2 wrote: »

Ahh the memories.
    Done some unbelievable fishing up there. Started not long after the Carp eh "found their way in". ðŸ˜
    Those original strain were unbelievable fish. Nothing like them.

Originally after the trout the Carp were stocked with Tench which had no bearing on the Carp.

However the bream were introduced by the match anglers off Inniscarra. Bloody ruined the place.

As for the poaching, well, the Irish anglers wanted them for their own waters closer to home, the not Irish anglers wanted them for dinner.

I think one of the only other places that has them now is Inniscarra.

That lake in ballincollig is one I fell in love with very fast, and still love the place. Been years since I was up there..
    Technically you can still fish there, but the landowners make it hard for you to access it.

Such a huge shame what's happened to it. If I ever came into big money, I'd buy it and restore it.
    There's a similar reservoir out towards glounthane/carrigtwohill, but sadly only has those trout things in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Just wondering if you ever got to wet a line in the end?

Hi lads I didn’t manage to get up there yet but I am hoping in the next few weeks. A lad not that long ago fished up there and had very little success. 3 Gudgeon and a few takes on what he suspect’s to just be Rudd and roach as there in abundance up there.
    He had no luck catching carp, bream and tench but let’s not lose faith.
    As far as pike I reckon there’s none in those waters. When I do manage to go up there I’ll keep you all posted.

Tight lines

• Registered Users Posts: 1 StevenPower91

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me there this place is exactly? Would be keen to check it out.

Steve

• Advertisement
Advertisement