Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE ads from the 80s...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Apologies for that last post going up 3 times-my browser is gone haywire

Apologies for that last post going up 3 times-my browser is gone haywire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

This is worth watching for the Murphys ad near the beginning featuring Oliver Tobias of The Stud fame.

Heres an RTE ad break from 1980.I don't remember Sport Scene.I'm assuming it was a forerunner to Sports Stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

^^^ interesting stuff! The fact that paint was so scientific! I know that Colm Wilkinson did some of the the Sqeez (sic) ads but not sure if that one was him. And the weird 10-second ads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

darkdubh wrote: »
    This is worth watching for the Murphys ad near the beginning featuring Oliver Tobias of The Stud fame.

A mish-mash of plenty. Most of it dates from April / May 1982.

Heres an RTE ad break from 1980.I don't remember Sport Scene.I'm assuming it was a forerunner to Sports Stadium?

No. Sports Stadium was on the go since at least the mid 1970s.

Sport Scene was broadcast on Sunday nights between October and May. It predominately focused on GAA and sometimes soccer. The Sunday Game took over once the championship started.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Eeden wrote: »
    ^^^ interesting stuff! The fact that paint was so scientific! I know that Colm Wilkinson did some of the the Sqeez (sic) ads but not sure if that one was him. And the weird 10-second ads!

I loved the shot of the Aer Lingus plane to show us that they're bringing the paint over from America. It must have cost a fair whack if they were transporting it by plane :D

Heres some more old 80's ads at the start of this clip.The only one I can remember is the the Heinekin ad with yer wan taking pics of the arabs.

Heres the result of some more Youtube trawling.Thats a great one for Mr Sheen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Jaysus, a crappy Radio 2 digital watch for £9.95. That would have been a lot of money back in the 1980's.

Excuse me if I'm in a Youtube posting frenzy this morning but this has the Harp Vikings ad,albeit in a shorter edited version without the shots of the Vikings coming in on their longboat and the locals fleeing in terror.The poster who put this up has loads of other retro TV stuff including a lot interesting old RTE clips well worth checking out.

October 1984 I'd say - based on the date of Todds sale.

Heres some more old 80's ads at the start of this clip.The only one I can remember is the the Heinekin ad with yer wan taking pics of the arabs.

Jeez, that sounds like Colm CT Wilkinson on the Sadolin ad, too! Didn't realise he did that much ad work.

Theres another long lost classic at the start for Busker Bars.

I think someone was on here a while back looking for the Telecom Eireann ad at the beginning.Ad break is from 87 not 89.

"Mrs.Mulligan is lighting her fire with an inferior firelighter,much to the disgust of Twinky.
    Nextdoor,Mrs.Maguire is lighting her fire with Zip.
    Zip lights faster and burns longer than any other firelighter.
    Meanwhile,back at Mrs.Mulligan's,the fire has gone out-and so too has Twinky.
    While Mrs.Maguire....has a fire!!

Zip.In tests,9 out of 10 cats preferred it."

Remember the animated ad for Batchelors Beans?
    Barney and Beaney were agents for the FBI(Finest Beans in Ireland),and they were tackling The Mean Gombeen and his Mean Beans,and they save a poor housewife from eating Mean Beans by exposing The Mean Gombeen and his Mean Beans using the Mean Bean Machine.....

I think that was the first time Barney and Beaney were ever given voices!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Remember yer man "Rashers" who used to advertise Galtee rashers on the telly in the mid 80's?He'd do a sort of rap "My name is Rashers ,see?".For some reason my older brother used to hate him.Anytime that ad came on he'd say he'd love to beat the **** out of that guy.

And the ads keep flashing back...
    Anybody remember an Irish language ad about paint-either Dulux or Crown,from around early or mid 80s?
    The ad finished with the line:
    "Is Fearr Liom É"(or maybe "Is Fearr Liom Í")
    I can remember that me wan who did that ad did not sound good at all,quite bad actually-she spoke like somebody who was not good at Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Seasan wrote: »
    Remember the animated ad for Batchelors Beans?
    Barney and Beaney were agents for the FBI(Finest Beans in Ireland),and they were tackling The Mean Gombeen and his Mean Beans,and they save a poor housewife from eating Mean Beans by exposing The Mean Gombeen and his Mean Beans using the Mean Bean Machine.....

I think that was the first time Barney and Beaney were ever given voices!
    I seem to vaguely remember seeing an old Batchelors bean tin in my Grandmothers shed years ago which had kind of stick men in the spot where Beany and Barney would be,they kind of looked like that figure that appeared at the start of the TV series The Saint.They were probably a proto Beany and Barney.

"Barney, do you remember?
    Dinners in the good old days
    They used to taste so good always"

(Batchelors Marrowfat Peas!)

Look what I spotted on Donedeal.The two boyos themselves.

http://photos2.donedeal.ie/View2-24286564.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

Look what I spotted on Donedeal.The two boyos themselves.

http://photos2.donedeal.ie/View2-24286564.jpeg

I suppose you could call them 'Has beans'...

I'd never seen this one before.Mick O Dwyer and Frank Kelly plugging milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Theres another long lost classic at the start for Busker Bars.

It's the same guy doing the voice overs for all of ads, talk about cheap :pac:

"SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE IS EATING A TOFFEE CRISP".

Remember those? :-) :-)
    Just seeing packets of Toffee Crisp bars in the shop made an ad come racing back to me-they are sitting around a table having a seance,the scary woman is saying "Sidney,are you there Sidney?Speak to us Sidney...." ,and then a munching sound is heard,the lamp shade starts shaking and a Toffee Crisp wrapper floats down onto the table....

Seasan wrote: »
    "SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE IS EATING A TOFFEE CRISP".

Remember those? :-) :-)
    Just seeing packets of Toffee Crisp bars in the shop made an ad come racing back to me-they are sitting around a table having a seance,the scary woman is saying "Sidney,are you there Sidney?Speak to us Sidney...." ,and then a munching sound is heard,the lamp shade starts shaking and a Toffee Crisp wrapper floats down onto the table....

Wasn't there one where an empty Toffee Crisp wrapper came out of an ATM instead of cash?

Eeden wrote: »
    Wasn't there one where an empty Toffee Crisp wrapper came out of an ATM instead of cash?

Yes,indeed there was!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Jim figgerty back in 1969
    pixel.gif

‘Jim Figgerty’, the man who put the figs in fig rolls, returns to Jacobs after a three-month absence and is mobbed by fans. Part of a hugely successful marketing campaign based on the question ‘How do Jacobs get the figs in the fig roles?’ Figgerty, and his sidekick, Habibi, (who asked the question in French) became part of the national consciousness..19.03.1969

Advertisement