Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House Viewings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Correct. The EA requested proof of funds and an offer in order to arrange for viewing which i had provided

Yes but that’s also the case for online only viewings operated by those agents abiding by the level 5 restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

DNGs main website says viewings are allowed buy maybe they haven't updated since the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Sorry for going a bit off topic folks, I'm wondering if anyone could tell me something in relation the level 5 restrictions.

My family are planning a move out of Dublin, if we sell up are we actually allowed to move to county that we plan to buy in ? Or do we have to wait until the restrictions come down further ?

You can move residence

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tianna

Mr.S wrote: »
    I was at a DNG viewing recently, but it was vacant. I'd say there is likely EA's being lax with the rules. I didn't question it.

It must depend on the EA/branch, I contacted a DNG EA and they said they weren't doing viewings unless sale agreed and contracts drawn up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If the house is vacant I can see how it could be seen as ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Sorry for going a bit off topic folks, I'm wondering if anyone could tell me something in relation the level 5 restrictions.

My family are planning a move out of Dublin, if we sell up are we actually allowed to move to county that we plan to buy in ? Or do we have to wait until the restrictions come down further ?

Yes you are allowed. It's noted that you can travel in relation to a house move. I am currently getting the old farmhouse in the midlands ready for us to move into and was stopped at a checkpoint. I explained what I'm doing and that I would likely be doing the same for the next couple of weekends and the guard said that's no problem and let me on my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rory365

If you factor in renovation costs, market in South Dublin for second hand 4 bed semi D properties is very pricey if you ask me. I also think there is a Covid premium being paid. Enquired about a few, all going for above asking and quickly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Exactly but the agents who let you view in person are breaching the guidelines of their governing body. And it’s not fair on agents not prepared to breach

Well guidelines aren't legally enforceable. Their governing body is not the legislator. It now looks like they based their guidelines on a very narrow and restrictive interpretation of the guidelines.

Anyway, I don't think it matters to most of us here seeing as most aren't doing physical viewings. I have been to two physical viewings since Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

ligerdub wrote: »
    Well there may be an element of people not willing to put up a listing while all this is going on. I wonder what % of these houses for sale have been there for a long time.

Prices are at an all time high at the moment, biddings are way over asking price. I'm puzzled as to why a potential seller wouldn't want to sell now.

• Advertisement

Prices are at an all time high at the moment, biddings are way over asking price. I'm puzzled as to why a potential seller wouldn't want to sell now.

The problem with being a potential seller like myself, is you may sell your house for a good % over asking, unfortunately you’re likely to give that straight back buying somewhere else.

Admittedly if you can afford to wait and rent for a while you could do quite well price wise, if you have kids though you’re unlikely to want to chance it, in my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

The problem with being a potential seller like myself, is you may sell your house for a good % over asking, unfortunately you’re likely to give that straight back buying somewhere else.

Admittedly if you can afford to wait and rent for a while you could do quite well price wise, if you have kids though you’re unlikely to want to chance it, in my experience anyway.

Yep but nothing to lose as you are in market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

That's not true. House prices are still lower than than were in 2007, and it's not particularly close either. Prices have pretty much stabilised for the last 2 and a half years. Dublin prices are lower than they were in late 2018. Biddings have been way over asking prices for as long as I can remember, with the exception of the really tight years when people just couldn't get loans at all.

This of course is by CSO statistics and these measures are also difficult to measure in an entirely scientific way, but in the absence of anything more complete it strikes me as a pretty reliable guide.

There are many reasons why somebody wouldn't sell. Most people will probably just have the old-fashioned approach of trying to eek out that bit more of a gain. Nobody wants to be the person that sold a rental property and then see the market fly up. Until there's a bit of evidence of fear in the market then there won't be sellers, but rest assured if it resurfaces then there will be many looking to the exit door.

That said I'm less convinced the market will fall than I was a year ago, not that my opinion matters for much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

That's not true. House prices are still lower than than were in 2007, and it's not particularly close either. Prices have pretty much stabilised for the last 2 and a half years. Dublin prices are lower than they were in late 2018. Biddings have been way over asking prices for as long as I can remember, with the exception of the really tight years when people just couldn't get loans at all.

This of course is by CSO statistics and these measures are also difficult to measure in an entirely scientific way, but in the absence of anything more complete it strikes me as a pretty reliable guide.

There are many reasons why somebody wouldn't sell. Most people will probably just have the old-fashioned approach of trying to eek out that bit more of a gain. Nobody wants to be the person that sold a rental property and then see the market fly up. Until there's a bit of evidence of fear in the market then there won't be sellers, but rest assured if it resurfaces then there will be many looking to the exit door.

That said I'm less convinced the market will fall than I was a year ago, not that my opinion matters for much anyway.

Hmm find it hard to believe that Dublin prices are lower now than 2018

hi! wrote: »
    Hmm find it hard to believe that Dublin prices are lower now than 2018

They are lower than the noted peak price in Q4 2018. They aren't much lower, but they are lower. Give or take a percent or two you could probably fairly describe them as being plateaued. Just because there is a bidding frenzy and panic it makes it seem like they've spiraled to the moon, but the reality is that's been the case for several years now.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexdecember2020/

"Overall Decline

Overall, the national index is 16.1% lower than its highest level in 2007. Dublin residential property prices are 21.8% lower than their February 2007 peak, while residential property prices in the Rest of Ireland are 18.1% lower than their May 2007 peak.

Recovery

Property prices nationally have increased by 87.0% from their trough in early 2013. Dublin residential property prices have risen 93.6% from their February 2012 low, whilst residential property prices in the Rest of Ireland are 88.4% higher than at the trough, which was in May 2013."

In the absence of having full information on every home sale and metrics like price per sq foot and postcodes then that's as good as I think we're going to get. I'm not a staunch defender of the CSO so if there's any better evidence then I'm happy to hear it. Feelings about the price level or anecdotal examples can sway a perception of what's going on, but I'm happy to go with the data.

I see where you are coming from, but that's always been the case for those who sell and buy. I'm more confused with people not selling because of covid and restrictions. There are so few properties on sale at the moment and i can't understand why

These are the highest prices since rock bottom, higher than 2018 and 2019
    https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/b52f2a466477d05576bc/?s=commuter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I see where you are coming from, but that's always been the case for those who sell and buy. I'm more confused with people not selling because of covid and restrictions. There are so few properties on sale at the moment and i can't understand why

The longer a house is on the market, the more it looks like there's something wrong with it. With fewer people getting mortgage approval/in a position to draw down, why would you try to sell to a reduced market? It's also a vicious circle, people can't find houses to buy so can't sell their own.

Friend went sale agreed in January. Over asking but estate agent had persuaded them to put a low asking price so ultimately it's less than they wanted. The agent said it wouldn't sell without viewings (they had one in the open weeks in December) and it would just sit on the market.

FrStone wrote: »
    Well guidelines aren't legally enforceable. Their governing body is not the legislator. It now looks like they based their guidelines on a very narrow and restrictive interpretation of the guidelines.

Anyway, I don't think it matters to most of us here seeing as most aren't doing physical viewings. I have been to two physical viewings since Christmas.

Their governing body isn’t the legislator but their governing body the psra is their legislator who grant them a license to sell property, breach of psra guidelines can mean they potentially loose their license.

These are the highest prices since rock bottom, higher than 2018 and 2019
    https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/b52f2a466477d05576bc/?s=commuter

That isn't the same as all-time high. Two different things.

In any event that is ask price. It is not the same as the price actually paid, which is what the CSO uses as the measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think that since people cant even view, never mind move forward with a sale that it looks bad when a house is on the market for a long time.
    Anything going on the market now is most likely going to stay there til the autumn at lease.
    And before then it will be joined by many more houses on coming on the market when restrictions are lifted.
    If I were a buyer I would wait and see until at least next summer.
    You will be paying a covid stunted supply premium for now.

Houses aren't staying on the market very long at the moment. The EA can only arrange for 1 viewing so they wait until they have a bunch of offers, then they do the viewing, then you have 1 day to send it your final offer and that's it.
    The last few houses i bid went very quickly.
    Most houses on MyHome have already gone sales agreed ages ago, not sure why they arent removed

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

Houses aren't staying on the market very long at the moment. The EA can only arrange for 1 viewing so they wait until they have a bunch of offers, then they do the viewing, then you have 1 day to send it your final offer and that's it.
    The last few houses i bid went very quickly.
    Most houses on MyHome have already gone sales agreed ages ago, not sure why they arent removed

I think it's in case sale falls through.
    I seen two sales already being *back on market*
    One of them was back on Friday, today is sale agreed.

It's absolute madness though.
    I have seen one of EA from same estate agency doing viewings on weekends and other said no viewings

Milena009 wrote: »
    I think it's in case sale falls through.
    I seen two sales already being *back on market*
    One of them was back on Friday, today is sale agreed.

It's absolute madness though.
    I have seen one of EA from same estate agency doing viewings on weekends and other said no viewings

Same here, I'm being told by EAs that viewings are on hold however I should send an offer and proof of funds.

Once I do, wait a few weeks and magically there is a viewing where all bidders are invited, each one gets a specif slot. After that they do the final bidding.

People make crazy high offers then, as you dont really know what other offers are there, you only know if your offers is winning or not. It's wild

Well officially only viewing should take place with the successful purchaser when sale agreed. Houses are going sale agreed at the moment based on pictures only and going way above asking. Stock is small and buyers are desperate as their mortgage approval may be running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Exactly but the agents who let you view in person are breaching the guidelines of their governing body. And it’s not fair on agents not prepared to breach

But yet a plumber or sparks can go in to look at work.

Viewings are safe, you go in on your own, the agents waits outside, there are sanitizers available at the door.
    Banning viewings makes no sense, when you can easily get infected in a shop or on the bus

ted1 wrote: »
    But yet a plumber or sparks can go in to look at work.

Yes if essential service, accommodation is deemed not in level 5 unless sale agreed for a sale or signing a lease for a rented property.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any update on this from EAs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭SteM

House up the road from us went on the market 2 weeks ago. Last Saturday there were 30 viewings while the owners were away for the weekend and the house went sale agreed yesterday. For 50k over asking.

Advertisement