Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much does heat recovery ventilation in a bingalow cost

• 28-02-2021 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

I have an uncle who lives beside the entrance to an industrial estate with trucks going by all the time more and more frequently.
    I was fixing a leak for him today and I noticed the noise is coming in through the vents.
    I tried blocking one of the vents (4 inch ducting about 12 inches long) up with a load of old towels.

Not a sound in the room at all.

So I got to thinking, would heat recovery ventilation stop the noise through the vents in his whole house?

How much would it cost. Could he get a grant?

Its a 3 bed Bungalow with 2 bathrooms, Kitchen and living room.

If thats a no go. Is there any other solution that would stamp out traffic noise coming in through a vent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

JimmyVik wrote: »

Not a sound in the room at all.

This indicates reasonable good air tightness which is a must for the HR part.

Is access to all ceilings available in the attic? If so, then MVHR might well be a good idea and should definitely reduce the street noise by closing all the wall vents.

Not aware of any grants.

Not sure on costs but I would reckon maybe 5 to 6k installed. Less if diying it. Design of the system is key (the less ducting the better, and insulated of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

as above plus it would give great air quality so position the unit so it is easy to change the filter and fit the intake and exhaust ducts on the side way from the road

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msNwkj9

DIY job

I have no idea if that machine is any good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Thanks guys. Seems like it would be easy enough to fit too.
    Attic has access to every room in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

If the house is not very air tight don't rule out DCV (demand control ventilation) to solve the same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Vegeta wrote: »
    If the house is not very air tight don't rule out DCV (demand control ventilation) to solve the same problem.

Where is the intake/exhaust for a dcv?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement