Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark side of the ring

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

Still gotta watch the Savage episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Matmania

Serious amount or tragedy in the wrestling game over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just watched the Herb Abrams episode. He was quite the character huh? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Full length Owen doc was announced at Cannes last week.
    UK-based sales agency Kaleidoscope Film Distribution has topped up its Cannes virtual market slate with Owen, a new documentary about tragic wrestling star Owen Hart.

The film is currently in production ahead of delivery late in Q1 2021. Kaleidoscope will handle worldwide sales, with initial materials available for viewing during the Marché du Film Online.

Hart was the golden boy of the World Wrestling Foundation (WWF, now WWE) in the 1990s, with a promising career as one of the franchise’s biggest names.

However, an accident on May 23, 1999 saw him fall eight stories into the wrestling ring to his death.

The film will feature new interviews with his family and friends, including his wrestler brother Bret ‘The Hitman’ Hart, plus new archival family footage. Further contributors from the world of wrestling are to be announced in coming months.

Jo Lewis is directing the film, which is produced by Keaton Stone and Western Edge Pictures through Vaughan Sivell. Hart’s wife, Dr Martha Hart, is an executive producer, alongside Kaleidoscope CEO Spencer Pollard and Lee Brazier.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/kaleidoscope-launches-doc-owen-about-tragic-wrestling-star-owen-hart-exclusive/5150788.article

Officially renewed for a 3rd season with 14 episodes ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,756 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Officially renewed for a 3rd season with 14 episodes ordered.

very much looking forward too that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I wonder what they will cover this time around?

The steroid scandal from the 90s? Chyna?

Its a great series

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'd like to see more chances taken for the 3rd season, as last season just came across as a recap at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭ThePott

There's going to be a Brian Pillman episode, a Jake the Snake episode and a Collision in Korea one.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Blanco100 wrote: »
    I wonder what they will cover this time around?

The steroid scandal from the 90s? Chyna?

Its a great series

Chyna is a good shout

• Advertisement

Some of the episodes for the 3rd season are

Collision in Korea

Jake Roberts and his Father

Brian Pillman

Jake roberts and his father should be interesting. They can't really do a fluff piece there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Some of the episodes for the 3rd season are

Collision in Korea

Fantastic! I really enjoyed this youtube vid on it (and a host of other topics stemming out from it)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jake roberts and his father should be interesting. They can't really do a fluff piece there.

Well if it’s anything like the behind the mat joy fest then trying to get a fluff piece will be like trying to get to the moon.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well if it’s anything like the behind the mat joy fest then trying to get a fluff piece will be like trying to get to the moon.

There was plenty of fluff in season 2. The show's main strength is its ability to get interviews with certain key people but as an investigative piece of work it wasn't up to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There was plenty of fluff in season 2. The show's main strength is its ability to get interviews with certain key people but as an investigative piece of work it wasn't up to much.

The second season to me was about getting people who didn’t know the stories a kind of starter pack on the individuals involved. The one episode I’d have wished they’d have either made a part two on or maybe dug a bit deeper on was snuka. There was more there they could have done.

Meltzer implying that they might do an episode on the Saudi show where the crew were held hostage.

A lot of the talent that spoke out about it at the time or didn’t correct their partners who spoke out about it on social media were released in April and might be up for a sit down interviews about the whole mess.

Meltzer implying that they might do an episode on the Saudi show where the crew were held hostage.

A lot of the talent that spoke out about it at the time or didn’t correct their partners who spoke out about it on social media were released in April and might be up for a sit down interviews about the whole mess.

I'll be convinced once I see it and the credits roll. Even if they do get such interviews who would have been in the thick of the chaos who has now been let go and have the balls to give a full account.

I'll be convinced once I see it and the credits roll. Even if they do get such interviews who would have been in the thick of the chaos who has now been let go and have the balls to give a full account.

The Good Brothers would be my guess they aren't going back to the WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Jesus I've had my fill of Jake's absolutely darker than dark life story. Calling it entirely grim would be an underestimation.

So happy this has been renewed. It is a fantastic watch. I loved every episode. Lifting the curtain on the many stories (scandals) from the wrestling business was a show just asking to be made.

Rumours looking good. Pillman and Korea could be very intriguing.

Be interesting to see a bit more from the territories or stuff outside the mainstream. Could they get an episode out of Saville's link to the old British scene?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/tv/adrian-street-wrestler-jimmy-savile-18725510

• Advertisement

Its been such a success they are making spin off shows.

Vice TV Expands ‘Dark Side’ Franchise With Football & ‘90s Culture Spinoffs
    Dark Side of the Ring has become Vice TV’s most-watched show and the youth-skewing broadcaster is now expanding the franchise.

The cable network has ordered two spinoffs – Dark Side of the Football and Dark Side of the ‘90s. The two series are currently in production and will join a third season of Dark Side of the Ring in 2021.

This comes after Morgan Hertzan, EVP & General Manager, Vice TV told Deadline in April that the network was looking to explore new strands for the franchise.

Dark Side of the Football will shine a light on stories that live in the shadows of America’s favorite sport. It will explore the sometimes flawed men behind the masks, the coaches, teams, and leagues who control their fates and the untold story behind bizarre and tragic off-the-field events, facts that have often been hidden to shield fans from discovering unsettling truths about the game they love. The series is produced by Jailbirds producer 44 Blue Productions.

Dark Side of the ’90s will look at the most captivating pop-culture moments, trends and personalities of the decade through interviews with people who studied the time period. Each episode will dissect the nostalgia, uncovering the surprising dark truths underlying the glitz, the glamour and the headlines. The series is produced by America’s Top Dog producer Railsplitter Pictures and Battle of the Blades producer Insight Productions.

The second season of Dark Side of the Ring launched at the end of March with a two-part special about the story of Chris Benoit, who in 2007, killed his wife Nancy and seven year old son Daniel before hanging himself. Other stories included the murder of Dino Bravo, the controversial “Brawl for All” tournament that led to career-ending injuries, the feared career of New Jack, David Schultz’s violent run-in with a 20/20 reporter, the death of Nancy Argentino, Jimmy Snuka’s girlfriend, the inside story of wrestling’s ultimate tag team partnership Hawk and Animal; Herb Abrams’ fanatical attempt to build a wrestling empire and the devastating story of Owen Hart’s stunt that went tragically wrong.

The show is Vice TV’s highest-performing series since its launch.

“We are thrilled to expand the Dark Side franchise and take a harder look at the untold stories of two our our favorite cultural touchstones: football and ’90s nostalgia. Both topics are rich with controversial characters, subjects, and events that are ripe for investigation,” said Morgan Hertzan, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Vice Television. “Dark Side of the Ring beautifully lifts the veil on the most gripping stories in wrestling, and I cannot wait for audiences to see what we uncover in our next iterations.”

https://deadline.com/2020/12/dark-side-of-the-ring-football-90s-culture-spinoffs-1234652001/

Dark Side of the Ring: Confidential
    Dark Side of the Ring: Confidential, which premieres Tuesday March 9, will feature eight 90-minute episodes, where the show’s creators dive into the episodes of season one and two and answer the unanswered questions and secrets and feature never-seen-before moments.

Creators Evan Husney and Jason Eisener will sit down for a series of roundtable discussions with host and wrestling insider Conrad Thompson and episodes will feature guests such as Tommy Dreamer, The Blue Meanie, Savio Vega , and former WWE referee Mike Chioda.

Each episode will explore a major moment from the series, including the Von Erich brothers’ tragic deaths, The Montreal Screwjob and conspiracy theories around Gino Hernandez’s death.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/vice-dark-side-of-the-ring-franchise-deep-dive-talkshow-1234704091/

The Plane Ride from Hell is one of the episodes in season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

I well look forward to this

The Plane Ride from Hell is one of the episodes in season 3.

I'll definitely watch the episode but I wonder how much 'juicy info' ( :p ) will the show reveal that hasn't been said in shoot interviews so far. The xpac you shoot comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I'll definitely watch the episode but I wonder how much 'juicy info' ( :p ) will the show reveal that hasn't been said in shoot interviews so far. The xpac you shoot comes to mind.

What did he say

Blanco100 wrote: »
    What did he say

I'll spoiler tag this so not to ruin the episode for anyone.
    X-Pac said this:
    - all the talent on the flight were brewing.
    - people were getting drunk and getting high (on something called ghb)
    - Brock and Curt Henning shoot wrestling and slamming into the plane door.
    - Flair walking around with his robe open "balls naked"
    - Michael Hayes almost pissed on Linda McMahon. Hovering over her trying to whip is johnson out. X-Pac says he was that high/drunk/whatever he thought he was at a urinal.
    - xpac says he had a match with JBL in England and JBL gigged. So JBL was walking around with a plaster on his forehead. Michael Hayes was hitting him in the head trying to make it bleed again. Like walking up to him and popping. Xpac says accordingly JBL clocked Michael Hayes with a punch.
    - As Hayes was laid out X-Pac grabbed a scissors and cut his ponytail.

Watching Dark Side of the Ring: Confidential the two creators of the Dark Side series dress and look like they are straight out of a Kevin Smith movie.

Trailer for season 3 which starts May 6th.

• Advertisement

Jesus Jericho really is turning into Axel Rose.

Advertisement