Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Syndicated comic strips.

• 03-12-2013 5:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

What ones do you remember from the good old days?Flash Gordon in Irelands Own.Also The Phantom in The Sunday World and Henry(he was a bit strange,he was bald and never spoke).Any favourites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Ah the Phantom "The Ghost who walks" ! :D Remember it well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Ah the Phantom "The Ghost who walks" ! :D Remember it well.
    Yes they used to repeat the backstory quite a lot where the first Phantoms father is killed by pirates and he swears on his skull for revenge.

What was that slightly risque one that they showed in one of the English Tabloids?Something adventures of Pauline,a lot of it involved her with little or no clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

My own personal favourite was Ernie, by Bo Grace

w44g.jpg

21/25

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

darkdubh wrote: »
    What was that slightly risque one that they showed in one of the English Tabloids?Something adventures of Pauline,a lot of it involved her with little or no clothes.

Sounds like The Perils Of Page 3 Pauline.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50832486@N00/2674744217/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Moose and Broom Hilda in the Evening Press

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I can only remember more recent ones like Hagar.
    Too much time reading the Beano :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Remember the Wizard of Id?

The world needs more of The Far Side come to think of it

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

branie wrote: »
    Remember the Wizard of Id?
    Stll around I'm sure.

• Advertisement

jon6_GIF.gif

The world needs more of The Far Side come to think of it
    Yes sadly missed.I have all the the book collections.I don't see the Far Side Greeting cards for sale any more they used to have them in Easons.

Judge Dredd in The Star.Mutt And Jeff.And I nearly forgot about Wicked Willy who was a talking you know what.I diden't see any of the strips themselves as I'm sure they were printed in some adult magazine but Wicked Willy Tshirts were very popular at one point.I remember a fella in our school got into trouble for coming in wearing one.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Yes sadly missed.I have all the the book collections.I don't see the Far Side Greeting cards for sale any more they used to have them in Easons.

Best thing for any Far Side fan is this
    My parents got me it for Christmas a few years ago. 2 massive hardcovers you coukd beat someone to death with.

They also got me this one too. Best christmas ever :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

Remember that one "Love Is..."? I can't understand why they used two naked children as the main characters, especialy as it would sometimes imply they were supposed to be adults (showing them driving cars etc). They used to be popular greeting cards too. Don't see it anymore understandably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Remember that one "Love Is..."? I can't understand why they used two naked children as the main characters, especialy as it would sometimes imply they were supposed to be adults (showing them driving cars etc). They used to be popular greeting cards too. Don't see it anymore understandably.

Started around the same time as the film Love Story so beginning of the 70s. Apparently still going - not sure where it's reproduced now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Does the Indo still run that Count Curly Wee strip?

Some history on the strip here. I remember Hugh Leonard being disparagingly referred to as "Count Curly Wee", probably in Hot Press.

https://downthetubes.net/?p=109302

Some history on the strip here. I remember Hugh Leonard being disparagingly referred to as "Count Curly Wee", probably in Hot Press.

https://downthetubes.net/?p=109302

On a personal level he was sometimes obnoxious to deal with. Not pleasant to retail staff and would write about them disparagingly in his Sindo column.

On a personal level he was sometimes obnoxious to deal with. Not pleasant to retail staff and would write about them disparagingly in his Sindo column.

I always got that impression from his columns and interviews that he was a right condescending snob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

Does the Indo still run that Count Curly Wee strip?
    Yes, usually next to Dilbert.

I always got that impression from his columns and interviews that he was a right condescending snob.

Definitely. He wouldn't mention them by name but would give the details of the shop / retail outlet and enough information about the individual as to make them identifiable and effectively caused embarrassment for people.

It seems to have been the inspiration behind this 70s deoderant advert. Just utterly bizarre.

Scarred for Life (@ScarredForLife2) Tweeted:

1977 adverts were weird. https://t.co/Nel0c4Z7s3 https://twitter.com/ScarredForLife2/status/1500139943032729601?s=20&t=DOTBZogYl5hAHz8y_joqiA

George And Lynne used to appear in the Sun. The jokes were shite and the title characters annoying but it didn't matter as yer wan would get her kit off.

I remember a short lived one in the Irish Examiner circa 2000 called Girls In The City. It was supposed to be a Cork spoof of Sex And The City, it was mindboggilingly unfunny.

Advertisement