Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭rrs

I don't think the teams are ever an accurate gauge. Moynagh was nominated for an All Star last year and didn't make that team. McVeety was excellent leading up to the final.
    Maybe Cavan being so flat in the final didn't help but played 3 games prior to that, Monaghan and 2 Armagh games

Jarlath Burns has regressed a lot since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Cavan_King wrote: »
    It’s hard to believe that Cavan got to the Ulster Final in 2019 and didn’t even get one...

Shaun Patton (Donegal)
    Stephen McMenamin (Donegal)
    Paddy McGrath (Donegal)
    Ronan McNamee (Tyrone)
    Ryan McHugh (Donegal)
    Eoghan Ban Gallagher (Donegal)
    Frank Burns (Tyrone)
    Michael Murphy (Donegal)
    Jarlath Og Burns (Armagh)
    Jamie Brennan (Donegal)
    Mattie Donnelly (Tyrone)
    Peter Harte (Tyrone)
    Paddy McBrearty (Donegal)
    Cathal McShane (Tyrone)
    Rian O’Neill (Armagh)

Armagh that we beat along the way got two!

Cavan were poor in qualifiers too didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Cavan were poor in qualifiers too didn't help.

We didn't show up in the qualifiers! :)

I see Pat Spillane has put together a "dream XV" to challenge the Dubs. It's behind a paywall, and no doubt it is pure scour (guessing he has a clatter of Kerry lads on it), but out of interest has anyone seen it and do any of our lads feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I see Pat Spillane has put together a "dream XV" to challenge the Dubs. It's behind a paywall, and no doubt it is pure scour (guessing he has a clatter of Kerry lads on it), but out of interest has anyone seen it and do any of our lads feature?

Can I just say kudos and be bold enough to doff my cap in your direction for perfect use of the term 'pure scour'! It has brightened up my day no end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Here you go...

Niall Morgan (Tyrone)
    Oisín Mullin (Mayo)
    Paddy Durcan (Mayo)
    Eoghan Ban Gallagher (Donegal)
    Eoghan McLaughlin (Mayo)
    Donal Keogan (Meath)
    Gavin White (Kerry)
    Ian Maguire (Cork)
    Odhrán McNiallais (Donegal)
    Shane Walsh (Galway)
    Conor McKenna (Tyrone)
    Mattie Donnelly (Tyrone)
    Paddy McBrearty (Donegal)
    Michael Murphy (Donegal)
    David Clifford (Kerry)

It’s just a ****e Sunday World article or for some other rag to fill a few pages. I’ve seen people already ripping it to shreds re the picking of Odhran NcNiallais for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soap1978

I would have O'Shea from Kerry in that team,best player against the dubs in 2019 final

The provincial draws around February 8th. https://t.co/mke3JuQd25?amp=1

Spillane's team is not even worth mentioning. Filling up a column on a quiet January day.

rrs wrote: »
    The provincial draws around February 8th. https://t.co/mke3JuQd25?amp=1

Spillane's team is not even worth mentioning. Filling up a column on a quiet January day.

Exactly. All the GAA writers will be struggling to fill column inches now so we'll see plenty of fluff articles like it. Spillane always loves a good list.

The We Are Cavan lads spent about 20 minutes discussing American football this week to waste some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

3 PWC All Stars for Cavan
    Ray Galligan
    Padraig Faulkner
    Thomas Galligan
    Well deserved and a great achievement for the lads to top off a fantastic championship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

cavan4sam wrote: »
    3 PWC All Stars for Cavan
    Ray Galligan
    Padraig Faulkner
    Thomas Galligan
    Well deserved and a great achievement for the lads to top off a fantastic championship

Mighty news to start the day! Well deserved.

• Advertisement

Fair play to the 3 All Stars. There was some doubting when Ray Galligan was placed in goals originally, in 2015,but he's showed his quality since.

What's the West Cavan team.? I don't use the patreon podcast.

Yevon wrote: »
    Great to see P Faulkner get his reward. He's been consistently excellent since he was introduced in 2016. Stepped into the team and immediately rose to the level required and excelled. Brave and strong and most importantly, steps up when things are going wrong for Cavan.

Anyone listening to the WeAreCavan regional teams? I've only listened to the West Side Warriors so far but it seemed fairly bang on. Think Damien might be swayed slightly as U20 manager which is understandable.

Apparently Ciaran Brady very close to one too according to the We Are Cavan lads.

Not sure about the United Giants team. I saw them getting a lot of criticism on Insta about Paul Gilcreest not making the 15 but being a county panel member and I’d agree.

He could have been accommodated at either midfield or in the half forward line ahead of Enda Flanagan or McKenna.

The selection of Paul Lukie a surprise too. A couple of years ago he was in top form but I don’t think he was even very committed to Castlerahan last year. Did he even start many championship games?

I would have put O’Connell in, moved Cooney or Danny Cusack out to the half backs and dropped Lukie.
    Fair play to the 3 All Stars. There was some doubting when Ray Galligan was placed in goals originally, in 2015,but he's showed his quality since.

What's the West Cavan team.? I don't use the patreon podcast.

Pay the fiver a month ya tight chunt! 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Very good interview on We are Cavan with Andre Quinn.....3 pods, about 2hrs in total....well worth a listen

Very good interview on We are Cavan with Andre Quinn.....3 pods, about 2hrs in total....well worth a listen

Listened to two so far and they are excellent. Listening to him you’d think it’s no wonder Cavan have finally delivered a long awaited Ulster title.

Apparently Ciaran Brady very close to one too according to the We Are Cavan lads.

Not sure about the United Giants team. I saw them getting a lot of criticism on Insta about Paul Gilcreest not making the 15 but being a county panel member and I’d agree.

He could have been accommodated at either midfield or in the half forward line ahead of Enda Flanagan or McKenna.

The selection of Paul Lukie a surprise too. A couple of years ago he was in top form but I don’t think he was even very committed to Castlerahan last year. Did he even start many championship games?

I would have put O’Connell in, moved Cooney or Danny Cusack out to the half backs and dropped Lukie.

Pay the fiver a month ya tight chunt! ��

I paid for it before,but they started talking about whats the best fry in Cavan in during the last lockdown.

Btw, I doubt McVeety will be back for Cavan this year. He gave an inteview recently which said he'll likely stay in Oz another year, who could blame him#
    https://t.co/pydAhn9B7f?amp=1

I paid for it before,but they started talking about whats the best fry in Cavan in during the last lockdown.

Btw, I doubt McVeety will be back for Cavan this year. He gave an inteview recently which said he'll likely stay in Oz another year, who could blame him#
    https://t.co/pydAhn9B7f?amp=1

I didn’t expect Mc would be back. Who’d come back to Level 5 from relative normality in Oz at the minute.

You wouldn’t like the poor stuff on We Are Cavan lately so. They had a podcast about the Super Bowl and one about Cheltenham!

Have to say the Regional Teams selections fairly petered out and I found it boring.

Podcast too this week on the normal podcast re their five favourite Cavan players without an Ulster medal - some of the selections I thought were shocking - Keating, Givney & one season wonder Trevor Crowe!

Of all the available Cavan players without an Ulster medal....

Ronan Flanagan for example was a captain and made his debut in 2006 and played the guts of a decade and barely got a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

I didn’t expect Mc would be back. Who’d come back to Level 5 from relative normality in Oz at the minute.

You wouldn’t like the poor stuff on We Are Cavan lately so. They had a podcast about the Super Bowl and one about Cheltenham!

Have to say the Regional Teams selections fairly petered out and I found it boring.

Podcast too this week on the normal podcast re their five favourite Cavan players without an Ulster medal - some of the selections I thought were shocking - Keating, Givney & one season wonder Trevor Crowe!

There struggling for content they would be aswell park it up until there is something to talk about.

celt262 wrote: »
    There struggling for content they would be aswell park it up until there is something to talk about.

Parking it up won’t bring in the 5 euro a month. I don’t mind paying it as they’ve good content throughout the year.

I do still think though they need to move in the type of direction We Are Meath has and get some more contributors. We Are Meath used to have four panellists and would bring in other guests such as club PROs. We’ve been a long time listening to the two lads 90% of the time.

Parking it up won’t bring in the 5 euro a month. I don’t mind paying it as they’ve good content throughout the year.

It won't but I cancelled mine in January its only a fiver but I don't want to hear about there fry ups or horses I will sign back up when the football is back.

It won't but I cancelled mine in January its only a fiver but I don't want to hear about there fry ups or horses I will sign back up when the football is back.

In fairness there's enough content when the football is on to justify throwing them a fiver a month even when things are lean.

If anything, it might help them fund some extra contributors, even to get Hannon or Brennan on more would be good.

• Advertisement

Ulster draw tonight on the six o'clock news. Would be nice to avoid Monaghan for a year.

I know a man from Armagh is really fearing getting Cavan as he feels we would annihilate them - I don't see it myself after they gave us two hard beatings in League & McKenna Cup last year but then it is nice to be feared for once!

Would be great to challenge for Ulster again, which we should do, but I still think getting out of Division 3 is vital. As good as last year was, it still annoys me that a home loss to Clare cost us Division 2 status.

Tyrone away. Handy draw!

Sure if you want to be the best ya need to beat the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Cavan v Donegal ulster final again lol
    All of the teams that we seem to have a problem with Tyrone are top of the list
    Tough tough draw

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Cavan v Donegal ulster final again lol
    All of the teams that we seem to have a problem with Tyrone are top of the list
    Tough tough draw

I have seen two different brackets for the competitions the one on the county board Facebook would have us meeting Donegal in semi and another monaghan in semi if we beat Tyrone.

I have seen two different brackets for the competitions the one on the county board Facebook would have us meeting Donegal in semi and another monaghan in semi if we beat Tyrone.

We're on the Donegal and Tyrone side of the draw. That's what the Ulster Council tweeted and you'd expect them to have it right.

I can see Armagh coming through the other side to the draw - they would play Antrim, then the winner of Monaghan & Fermanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

We were due a Tyrone draw, 35 years since we drew them in the first round, am i right? It's going to be very difficult, but we beat Donegal for the first time in 15 years in the championship, and we ended a bad championship losing streak against Monaghan,both under Mickey, so the Tyrone domination over us is last one that has to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

bloody hate tyrone, for my money they are a step up from Donegal.

Really hope the lads put it up to them and get the win. It is long over due

willabur wrote: »
    bloody hate tyrone, for my money they are a step up from Donegal.

Really hope the lads put it up to them and get the win. It is long over due

Will be interesting to see what Logan & Co do with them. Donegal have beat them in championship the last two years running so I don't see how it can be argued they are the better team.

Even though we're Ulster champions, Tyrone, despite what they'll say, will have no respect for us, and why should they given our recent showings against them. We've one win in the McKenna Cup to show for the last two decades or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

two decades??
    It must be at least fifty years since we beat them in the senior championship, was it in the 1960's when it happened last?

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    two decades??
    It must be at least fifty years since we beat them in the senior championship, was it in the 1960's when it happened last?

1983 - Cavan 0-11 Tyrone 0-10, Ulster SFC Quarter Final @ Breffni Park.

Advertisement