Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broken Bird Box

• 12-02-2021 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Hi, i purchased two bird boxes last spring. Both have broken in the same way, split right down the back.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Sorry, picture attached now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

extreme frost, i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Hi, i purchased two bird boxes last spring. Both have broken in the same way, split right down the back.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Glue wasn't suitable for exterior use I'd say.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

fryup wrote: »
    extreme frost, i reckon

Yep, I'd say the same - rain gets absorbed by the wood, temperature drops, the water freezes, ice expands and splits the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Not saying whether this particular nestbox was rubbish to start with but there's some real horrors for sale on eBay today. If people want to kill two birds with one stone (sorry) they could do worse than buy a box, or boxes, from a reputable source like Birdwatch or the RSPB.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Not saying whether this particular nestbox was rubbish to start with but there's some real horrors for sale on eBay today. If people want to kill two birds with one stone (sorry) they could do worse than buy a box, or boxes, from a reputable source like Birdwatch or the RSPB.

It could be that. This is 3 best boxes from the same large hardware / garden centre chain and all three have split.

They all have been attached to a wall (north facing) with a screw to hook them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It could be that. This is 3 best boxes from the same large hardware / garden centre chain and all three have split.

They all have been attached to a wall (north facing) with a screw to hook them.

You could try making your own and all you could possibly want to know can be found in this book: https://www.bto.org/our-science/publications/bto-books-and-guides/nestboxes-your-complete-guide

nestboxes-complete-guide-cover-c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you don't even need a book plenty of tutorials online & youtube, nice way to fill the day and you don't have to be good at woodwork either

anyway the birds aren't going to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Also OP- if the three boxes are on the same wall, they may be too close together? If they are the tenants spend too much time arguing over tterritory that it can affect them negatively.
    For the boxes you should be able to screw on a thin piece of play at the back to get over the splitting (I would agree that the glue may be unsuitable and they also may not have nailed the parts in the first place.

hirondelle wrote: »
    Also OP- if the three boxes are on the same wall, they may be too close together? If they are the tenants spend too much time arguing over tterritory that it can affect them negatively.
    For the boxes you should be able to screw on a thin piece of play at the back to get over the splitting (I would agree that the glue may be unsuitable and they also may not have nailed the parts in the first place.

Nope, I meant three boxes over three years.

Good idea about plywood. I think that might work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement