Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kayak Fishing Tidal River, Bypass Permit

Options
  • 08-02-2021 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Bit of a strange question and probably a bit of a grey area but il ask anyway.

I recently started Sea Kayak Fishing unfortunately I can't sea fish atm as its outside my 5km. I can however fish in The Laune as its within my 5km. I bought my state license to target salmon now and trout when the season opens. I was a bit shocked to learn that you have to pay for permits for most areas after that.

I'm wondering if I can launch my kayak from a public access area and fish any area that is tidal? Most of these areas I'm thinking of kayak fishing are not in areas where you need to buy a permit as its private land and the landowner doesn't allow it, if I have researched correctly no one can own the fishing rights to a tidal area? So once I stay in the water and away from the land I should be ok?

That also brings me to the next question. I'm nearly sure an area of one of the beats is tidal. Obviously il need to check this out but if it is tidal am I allowed to launch the kayak from somewhere with public access and paddle up to the tidal area in one of the beats and fish from the kayak without a permit? I think I may be allowed as I'm not crossing private land and the area is tidal. Again I will need to make sure the area I'm thinking of fishing is in fact tidal.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I recently started Sea Kayak Fishing unfortunately I can't sea fish atm as its outside my 5km. I can however fish in The Laune as its within my 5km. I bought my state license to target salmon now and trout when the season opens. I was a bit shocked to learn that you have to pay for permits for most areas after that.

I'm wondering if I can launch my kayak from a public access area and fish any area that is tidal? Most of these areas I'm thinking of kayak fishing are not in areas where you need to buy a permit as its private land and the landowner doesn't allow it, if I have researched correctly no one can own the fishing rights to a tidal area? So once I stay in the water and away from the land I should be ok?

That also brings me to the next question. I'm nearly sure an area of one of the beats is tidal. Obviously il need to check this out but if it is tidal am I allowed to launch the kayak from somewhere with public access and paddle up to the tidal area in one of the beats and fish from the kayak without a permit? I think I may be allowed as I'm not crossing private land and the area is tidal. Again I will need to make sure the area I'm thinking of fishing is in fact tidal.

No. Many rivers have a defined river mouth, often at the mouth of the estuary, within which fishing may be private. I'm pretty sure the tidal part of the Laune is one such fishery. You should direct this query to the regional IFI office in Macroom before going fishing and possibly breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

If you are after sea trout I am almost sure you need a license in the sea ...
    Fishing especially in the estuary this could be seen as possible by fishery officers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

As far as I know from the bridge in killorglin down stream is free fishing (with the caveat you obviously still need a state license for seatrout or salmon). As it is tidal the fishing window is small I'd imagine. However, as zippy said I'd verify that first with the IFI or even locally with experienced anglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Agree with all the above. The fishing rights are usually defined in terms of the river mouth or known landmarks like bridges, specific beats, weirs etc.

For example the liffey in Dublin is tidal all the way up to Island bridge and fishing rights below island bridge were held below the tidal limit (that being the uppermost point in the river that actually rises or falls with the tide). Fishing rights cant be held beyond the specified river mouth (If I recall correctly) but its more based on geography and not so much on whether the water level really rises or fall with the tide.

Open to correction on the above but thats my understanding.

As its a fishing rights issue access via watercraft isnt relevant. Fishing rights apply either way. Kayaks travel freely on the stretch of the Liffey that my club controls but they cant angle on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

Wouldn't let the 5km stop you OP you'll not do much transmitting the virus out in the sea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement