Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has heard of toki pona?

• 23-02-2021 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

toki pona is a simple language created in 2001 by a Canadian linguist, Sonja Lang. Her aim was philosophical, to see how simply language could express her thoughts; therefore, the language is minimalist, the vocabulary about one hundred words, and the grammar very small. Last year, a follower interested in world communication and understanding, expanded toki pona to become toki ma, world language. I read about toki pona in the Irish Daily Mail, of all places, and thus was led to toki ma; since November, there has been frenetic activity on the toki ma forum, where linguists started to change the language according to their perceived linguistic rules, until it is almost unrecognisable as having come from toki pona. To retain the aims of toki ma, and the vocabulary of about 220 words, I founded a group called toki ireland, where there is a handful of following learners. I have retained the simple and easily accessible grammar, and realise this language, toki ma, is a true gift; I can see it uniting peoples the world over; easy to learn, free to learn, this language is a jewel. If anyone is interested, look it up. I would love to see some discussion on it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Only one word for "rain" I suppose. It will never catch on.
    Er .. you might have included a link or an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tokima

tala lume (universal language) is an Irish development of toki pona and toki ma. There is a Kindle book on Amazon with the grammar and vocabulary. The purpose of toki pona was to make a language with as few words as possible - the initial vocabulary was around 100 words, the creator linguist Sonja Lang of Canada. It was a philosophical experiment. Subsequently it was developed into toki ma, with another 100 words added.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What do you mean, Jim?

If anyone is interested enough to take a look at this language, tala lume, you can contact me here, and I will send you, free, gratis and for nothing the pdf file of tala lume (universal language), grammar, vocabulary (tala lume to English), a comprehensive dictionary, (English to tala lume), phrase book, and word origins. This will save you spending .84 cents on the Kindle version. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No thanks.

Maybe some day, then, Jim. Thanks for the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Montallie

Are you saying tala lume is the same as toki ma?

No, they are not the same. They have partly the same origins.

Advertisement