Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rad won’t bleed

• 09-12-2018 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve a rad that only heats 1/3 of the way. I can’t get it to bleed as I suspect the valve is rounded and the bleed key can’t grip it.

All other rads are ok.

What would my options be? Would a self taping screw work ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

ted1 wrote: »
    I’ve a rad that only heats 1/3 of the way. I can’t get it to bleed as I suspect the valve is rounded and the bleed key can’t grip it.

All other rads are ok.

What would my options be? Would a self taping screw work ?

Try squeezing a tight 1/4 socket onto it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Try squeezing a tight 1/4 socket onto it ?

No joy.i didn’t want to force it to much out of fear of not being sbke to close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

Been there, done that, have the tee shirt. Some options:

1. drill and tap another bleed point at the other end of the radiator.
    2. remove the radiator from the wall, take it to a welder and he can put a bit of braze on the bleed nipple, enough for you to get a good grip on it with a pliers.
    2. try get the bleed screw out with a 'easy out', i.e. a left hand tap. Again, you will most probably have to remove the radiator (if the bleed screw is on the inside face).

Modern radiators no longer have this issue, instead of the bleed screw going straight into the radiator it goes into a 'bushing'. Any problems with the bleed screw you just removed the bushing (which will have the bleed screw in it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

ted1 wrote: »
    No joy.i didn’t want to force it to much out of fear of not being sbke to close it.
    can you post picture of bleed valve

agusta wrote: »
    can you post picture of bleed valve

Here it is

• Advertisement

Hard to focus

Advertisement