Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DB fare increase

• 30-11-2018 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Dublin Bus are increasing their fares from Dec 1st. A trip that was €2,85 is now €3.

Is the price of public transport in Dublin now so high that it’s cheaper to drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Gael23 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus are increasing their fares from Dec 1st. A trip that was €2,85 is now €3.

Is the price of public transport in Dublin now so high that it’s cheaper to drive?

Get a leap card

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

Leap

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Get a Leap card, or if you commute by bus for work get a taxsaver ticket through your employer. If people insist on paying cash they deserve to be stung with high fares, as it slows down boarding tremendously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It's only €2.50 or €2.25 with a leap card. Cash fare is penalised and rightly so as Leap Cards are more efficient and speed up the boarding process. I strongly recommend getting as hopefully the cash option will be removed from buses in the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Even with a Leap card it’s €4.50 a day or €22 for a working week now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Try driving a car for less.
    Never mind parking it.

Then look into Taxsaver. At the end of the day public transport costs are quite high here in Ireland compared to other European countries but then again so is everthing.

I've 10 years no claims, no penalty points and car not too expensive. Insurance cost me 500 euro this year or basically a 10 er a week. That's before the cost of maintenance, tax ( about 200 euro a year or 2 euro a week) or depreciation or petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It's only €2.50 or €2.25 with a leap card. Cash fare is penalised and rightly so as Leap Cards are more efficient and speed up the boarding process. I strongly recommend getting as hopefully the cash option will be removed from buses in the next year or two.

I have to disagree. It does not cost Dublin Bus €0.50 to count and lodge 3 or 4 coins in a bank. (Its done in bulk).

Also Leap takes longer than cash. Both buying and boarding. I never go into my local Spar on Fridays after 5 or on Mondays before 10 am. Why? Because there is a massive line of people waiting to top up leap cards. And it takes ages. Nothing quick about it.

Boarding it takes less than 7 seconds for cash and around 15 for Leap that involves the driver. Time it yourselves.

Also having a leap card does not suit everyone. I also believe that under EU law, its illegal to charge more for using a certain type of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Qrt

prinzeugen wrote: »
    I have to disagree. It does not cost Dublin Bus €0.50 to count and lodge 3 or 4 coins in a bank. (Its done in bulk).

Also Leap takes longer than cash. Both buying and boarding. I never go into my local Spar on Fridays after 5 or on Mondays before 10 am. Why? Because there is a massive line of people waiting to top up leap cards. And it takes ages. Nothing quick about it.

Boarding it takes less than 7 seconds for cash and around 15 for Leap that involves the driver. Time it yourselves.

Also having a leap card does not suit everyone. I also believe that under EU law, its illegal to charge more for using a certain type of payment.

This post gave me various illnesses. Use auto-top-up, most people use the right hand validator, and if it’s illegal to charge with different payment types then every transport system in the EU must be breaking it.

People using cash on buses need to be fired out of a cannon and off this island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tax ( about 200 euro a year or 2 euro a week)

€200 euro a year is €3.84 euro a week. :)

my god

have you a vested interest youd like to declare because this is mostly nonsense tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Dublin Bus haven't increased the fares. Transport For Ireland have, which also affects Go Ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

my god

have you a vested interest youd like to declare because this is mostly nonsense tbh

In cork it's the same. It takes alot longer for the machine to read cards than it does for me to hand a driver coins and he pushes a button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The leap machines are very slow by tech standards in fairness. If they were actually worried about boarding spend then that would be a good port of call too.

Victor wrote: »
    €200 euro a year is €3.84 euro a week. :)

Woops shouldn't have attempted maths at 1 in the morning and a couple of cans

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

My experience is only with Dublin Bus, but interacting with the driver is far slower than using the card machine on the right. I've regularly seen five or so people pass me by when I'm dealing with the driver, and I'm using a Leap card myself. Can't see coins being any faster, particularly waiting around for the little change receipt afterwards.

Thankfully this is all changing now, the cash receipts are gone (or are going soon), and in the next few years, the NTA are going to introduce the new ticket machines with new payment options (i.e. pay by contactless). That'll also coincide with the removal of cash as an option, so dwell times will be decreased massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In cork it's the same. It takes alot longer for the machine to read cards than it does for me to hand a driver coins and he pushes a button.

Same in Galway; Leap is chrapet but a lot slower than cash.

And outside Dublin we don't have right side validators.

I agree that the Leap system is slow that's because of the outdated and extremely slow wayfarer ticket machines which need to be replaced. I think a flat fare on Leap Cards, the introduction of contactless payements and faster validators would massively make dwell times fall.

As boarding being faster using cash that maybe for yourself as you might always have the fair ready but in my expierence many people who pay cash don't have the exact fare ready in their hand and start rooting around their purse or wallet for coins. Also many people paying cash underpay as the drivers machine has no way of counting the coins being paid.

Same in Galway; Leap is chrapet but a lot slower than cash.

And outside Dublin we don't have right side validators.

Yes but Galway has a fraction of the passengers that Dublin has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dublin Bus haven't increased the fares. Transport For Ireland have, which also affects Go Ahead.

The average punter won't know or care about TFI's role in the process.. All they'll see is the price is gone up again.

Leap is the obvious option but even that's not cheap compared to what the same services cost 5 or 10 years ago. Comparing it to the costs of running a car is even more ridiculous.

There's 2 issues here...

Public transport isn't cheap regardless of payment method and continues to increase for little if any improvement.

The cost of living in this country is so high in general that we've become desensitised to these regular price hikes for essential services. Instead it's accepted as inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I’ve sympathy for most people who have to use Dublin bus. Buses are packed from 7-10 and 4-7 every day. It’s obnoxious. And then there’s having to subsidize the scroungers who don’t pay a fare (not OAPs). If you can find another way like cycling, then do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Can a Leap Card be topped up online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You can do via the app on your phone. Not sure if there's a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CatInABox wrote: »
    My experience is only with Dublin Bus, but interacting with the driver is far slower than using the card machine on the right. I've regularly seen five or so people pass me by when I'm dealing with the driver, and I'm using a Leap card myself. Can't see coins being any faster, particularly waiting around for the little change receipt afterwards.

Thankfully this is all changing now, the cash receipts are gone (or are going soon), and in the next few years, the NTA are going to introduce the new ticket machines with new payment options (i.e. pay by contactless). That'll also coincide with the removal of cash as an option, so dwell times will be decreased massively.

Change tickets are no more.

The machine takes an age to read the LEAP card.

If people have ramblers loaded it also stores the used up ones so there can be 5 products on the one card which slows it up even more.

Next time watch when students use the smart card reader at the door and count how long it takes for a beep.

Tfi increases the fares as stated previously.

Go Ahead also have the increase and since they started their 1st route the change tickets were withdrawn.

New machines are needed badly as it's pretty 2000 tech and not fit for purpose.

There should only be a reader like in London beside the driver where everyone must scan as they walk on as so many sneak on it unreal.

i use dublin bus every day and its grand. busy at peak times but ....its public transport in a city?

dunno how anyone could call it expensive tbh.

cheaper alternatives: walking, cycling and eh that's it

comparison to anything else hardly relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes but you must still go to a shop or luas or train station machine to load the top up.

Sort of pointless really.

There is no excuse not to have credit as of auto top up and one can also add rambler tickets.

It will soon change where one can travel on all modes of transport in 90 minutes for the one fare.

Example.... Get bus and then dart and luas all within 90 minutes and it costs no extra each change.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is the eventual plan to have just one flat fare?

If that is the case, everyone will use the validator. The only interraction with driver will be cash payers, and those purchasing a ticket for a companion on the FTP.

What do you reckon the flat fare would be? I'm guessing 2.50. Those going on short journeys should not be catered for with a cheaper fare. All or nothing I say!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You can purchase online, but it has no way to receive the top up without being used. And can take some time for the top up to be available. Your much better off using mobile phone if it's able to use the app. After that, I tend to use ticket machines at luas and Irish rail. As I can see what I'm doing with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

Patww79 wrote: »
    You can do via the app on your phone. Not sure if there's a website.

There is a website but you have to wait 24 hours and then go to a shop/luas stop to collect your credit.

App is for android phones only

I happen to walk past luas stops most days so thats where I top up mine

Advertisement